cruise control failure

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tvanvran
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Goldwing

cruise control failure

Postby tvanvran » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:53 am

Brake light problem fixed, now my cruise control won't "set." Turn cruise on and indicators comes on but when I try to set it, I get nothings. I have tried both buttons to set or accelerate and neither the indicator light comes on or the cruise doesn't set at any speed.

I have tried cleaning out the switches, as I have to with all the switches, monthly as they will stick if you don't, and still it will not set.

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: cruise control failure

Postby wingpilot08 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:45 am

Try this...while riding...."push" on your clutch lever and try to set the CC. Even though you have cleaned the switches, it may be an issue with you clutch lever not making full contact to the micro switch. Normally the issue here is a brass bushing that is part of the clutch lever. When the bushing wears, it will not allow the clutch lever to fully engage the switch..not allowing the CC to set.

The brass bushing sells at mother Honda for about $8.00-$10.00 and takes about 15 minutes to replace.

Hope this helps!

Part number 22885-MB0-006 BUSH $9.24

Just noticed that you are riding a 2005 1800...but looked at the diagrams and it is still the same part and part number!!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

tvanvran

Postby tvanvran » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 am

Sorry, I'm riding a 1994 1500 Aspencade that I triked. I have already replaced the bushing on the clutch lever and the clutch lever so maybe my issue is in the clutch adjustment. I will try pushing on the lever and setting the cruise on my home from work this evening.

Thanks for your help.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:54 am

This may sound wacky but I would check through the brake circuit. Including the bulbs. I had a situation on my 1500 where I had replaced the light fixtures on the saddlebags with ones with turn signals. Then the cruise would not set. It never occurred to me to check the bulbs because they seemed to function fine but the cruise would not set because it was getting a signal that the brakes were applied. One of my fixtures had a single filament bulb (I believe an 1156) that should have been a double filament (1157).

BuffaloThunder
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE GL1500

Postby BuffaloThunder » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:32 pm

I just repaired my 1993 SE cruise. I checked my clutch switch, it was good. I checked the throttle, front brake, and rear brake switches -also good. I checked the 4th and 5th gear switches. Good. Now in addition to my cruise not working, my LCD clock did not work. I reasoned that in addition to the afore-mentioned switches, there also needed to be an input to the cruise controller from the speedometer. The speedometer takes off of the front wheel, runs a mechanical cable up to the speedometer in the dash. Next to the LCD. That was not working. Aha. There has to be a pick-off from the speedometer that jumps over to the LCD clock electronics that then feeds back to the cruise electronics. I dis-assembled the dash and pulled out the cluster. Sure enough, there were a few wires coming from the speedometer going to the clock. I looked at the electronics on the clock board. Saw a device with the number 17805. It looked like a large power transistor but was a voltage regulator - a 7805 5-volt regulator. I soldered three wires to the three leads coming out of the 7805. The left pin is voltage in (+12), the middle is ground, and the right is out (+5). I checked the wires with a voltmeter and there was no voltage at any point - I'm not getting 12v onto the board. I start tracing the circuit board traces to see which connector wire it comes in on. This is a double-sided board-there are copper traces on each side. Following the circuit back, the trace went back to a 470uF electrolytic capacitor. There, the circuit passed through the board and started running on the other side. Except it didn't. Using an ohmmeter, there was no connectivity through the board. I pulled the cap out. There was black gunk underneath it. This cap was dried out and shorted. When it shorted it pulled excess current. When it pulled too much current it burned the plating in the hole tying the top-side trace to the bottom-side trace. I scrounged for a new cap and put it in. I put a jumper that tied the top trace to the bottom trace. I put the cluster back together and re-installed everything. Woohoo, I got cruise AND clock now. May not help you but hopefully someone benefits.

tvanvran

Postby tvanvran » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Lot of good reasoning. Fortunately mine turned out to something much more simple. I pushed the clutch lever forward once I got to speed and sure enough the cruise set up the first try. It continued to work as long as I don't engage the clutch so I guess I have to adjust the clutch.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be talking to you again when the next issue crops up.

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:05 am

tvanvran wrote:Lot of good reasoning. Fortunately mine turned out to something much more simple. I pushed the clutch lever forward once I got to speed and sure enough the cruise set up the first try. It continued to work as long as I don't engage the clutch so I guess I have to adjust the clutch.

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure I'll be talking to you again when the next issue crops up.

then it is most likely the brass bushing is worn..even thought it does't appear to be worn..replace it and be happy!!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 pm

BuffaloThunder wrote:I just repaired my 1993 SE cruise. I checked my clutch switch, it was good. I checked the throttle, front brake, and rear brake switches -also good. I checked the 4th and 5th gear switches. Good. Now in addition to my cruise not working, my LCD clock did not work. I reasoned that in addition to the afore-mentioned switches, there also needed to be an input to the cruise controller from the speedometer. The speedometer takes off of the front wheel, runs a mechanical cable up to the speedometer in the dash. Next to the LCD. That was not working. Aha. There has to be a pick-off from the speedometer that jumps over to the LCD clock electronics that then feeds back to the cruise electronics. I dis-assembled the dash and pulled out the cluster. Sure enough, there were a few wires coming from the speedometer going to the clock. I looked at the electronics on the clock board. Saw a device with the number 17805. It looked like a large power transistor but was a voltage regulator - a 7805 5-volt regulator. I soldered three wires to the three leads coming out of the 7805. The left pin is voltage in (+12), the middle is ground, and the right is out (+5). I checked the wires with a voltmeter and there was no voltage at any point - I'm not getting 12v onto the board. I start tracing the circuit board traces to see which connector wire it comes in on. This is a double-sided board-there are copper traces on each side. Following the circuit back, the trace went back to a 470uF electrolytic capacitor. There, the circuit passed through the board and started running on the other side. Except it didn't. Using an ohmmeter, there was no connectivity through the board. I pulled the cap out. There was black gunk underneath it. This cap was dried out and shorted. When it shorted it pulled excess current. When it pulled too much current it burned the plating in the hole tying the top-side trace to the bottom-side trace. I scrounged for a new cap and put it in. I put a jumper that tied the top trace to the bottom trace. I put the cluster back together and re-installed everything. Woohoo, I got cruise AND clock now. May not help you but hopefully someone benefits.

Excellent diagnostics. Those plated-through holes are called "vias" and they are chemically deposited - and don't necessarily have the same thickness (and current carrying capacity) as the actual cladding traces on the circuit board. Good for you for fixing your problem.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”