GL1500 stereo antenna connector...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

GL1500 stereo antenna connector...

Postby Mh434 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:04 am

Okay, this might be (probably is) a dumb question, but...I'm planning on installing a wired FM modulator (iSimple is-31 or is-77), and the last time I had the left fairing pocket off the bike, I noted a standard automotive style radio antenna connector right underneath it. Initially, I thought how handy that was, given my aforementioned plan. However, doing a bunch of research, I understand that the bike's CB uses identical antenna connectors.

So...is the one under the left fairing pocket for the CB, or for the stereo?

I understand that there is another stereo antenna connector under the seat, or possibly at the stereo main unit itself - I've seen posts suggesting both. Obviously, I don't want to disassemble the bike any more than I have to when I do this mod.

Can anyone enlighten me?

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: GL1500 stereo antenna connector...

Postby wingpilot08 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:41 am

Mh434 wrote:Okay, this might be (probably is) a dumb question, but...I'm planning on installing a wired FM modulator (iSimple is-31 or is-77), and the last time I had the left fairing pocket off the bike, I noted a standard automotive style radio antenna connector right underneath it. Initially, I thought how handy that was, given my aforementioned plan. However, doing a bunch of research, I understand that the bike's CB uses identical antenna connectors.

So...is the one under the left fairing pocket for the CB, or for the stereo?

I understand that there is another stereo antenna connector under the seat, or possibly at the stereo main unit itself - I've seen posts suggesting both. Obviously, I don't want to disassemble the bike any more than I have to when I do this mod.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Without tearing apart my Wing..I believe that the antenna wire is direct to the radio and then there is a second connection spot under the seat on the RIGHT side of the bike that goes to the antenna. Hope the scanned document helps!! I keep finding good documentation to add!!
( :shock: Man you were up early posting this!!)
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:24 pm

The antenna connector you are looking at is for the CB. It feeds up from the CB located right next to it, and from there to the antenna.

CB Antenna routing
CB Antenna routing

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks, Wingpilot96 and WingAdmin!

The antenna connector under the left fairing pocket I've been looking at is clearly the one for the CB. Your diagrams helped a great deal, and I appreciate the work of digging them up & posting them for me!!!!

On the plus side, the one for the stereo, under the seat, looks like a favorable point to attach the FM modulator to, and probably allows a little more room for the modulator itself (things are a little crowded under my left fairing pocket anyway). Once I have the seat off, I suspect things should be clearer. Since the modulator needs switched power & ground, and it will be close to the accessory panel if mounted under the seat, that would be convenient too. All that's left wiring-wise will be to route the on-off switch & audio-in port up to the front of the bike somewhere (I haven't figured out where I want those, yet).

Thanks again! I really like doing up a plan before any kind of instal, and now I've got one!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...this forum ROCKS!!!

Cheers,

- Mike

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”