Valve guide seals

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
sdadean
Motorcycle: 1992 1500 Aspencade

Valve guide seals

Postby sdadean » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Well it looks like it's time to replace my valve guide seals. Smokes pretty bad at start-up from the right bank. I know the left side is typical but not the right. My question is: do you need to adjust the valves when done? Or are they self adjusting? Just tighten them down and put it all back together.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Valve guide seals

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Does the smoke go away after it is warmed up? How much oil is it going through?

The 1500 has hydraulic valve lifters, so there is no real adjustment to be done. It does have shims, which are used to adjust against the hydraulic lifters, but this is normally done once at the factory, or when a component whose tolerance would have an effect on valve clearance is replaced (camshaft, valve, valve seat, rocker arm, rocker arm shaft, camshaft holder, cylinder head). Apart from the filling and reinstallation of the hydraulic lifters, the process is the same as it is on the four cylinder wings.

sdadean
Motorcycle: 1992 1500 Aspencade

Postby sdadean » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:39 pm

It's smoking at start ups for a minute or so. I have done many on car engines but never a bike. Not really using any oil. It's just more of an annoyance and I am a bit of a perfectionist. Left bank smokes some also but I know this is typical for these bikes. I just bought the bike last fall and have really only rode it a hand full of times this year. The smoking has seemed to get noticeable worse over the last couple of rides so I am assuming replacing the valve guide seals should clear up the left side and reduce some on the right side. I am assuming VITON brand seals are good ones? Found them on E-bay. I have a small valve spring compressor and then should have the connectors for air to the spark plug hole to hold up the valves. So I was hoping not to have to adjust the valves once it was done.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:55 pm

You are on the right track. I know that you said that you have done this before on cars, but before you go through the process are you positive what you are seeing is oil and it's coming from the valve seals? Condensation also burns off in the first 5 minutes, also crankcase ventilation will circlulate air through the air cleaner sometimes bringing a little oil with it. If your air cleaner gets saturated with oil then it's not the valve seals. But maybe you already know that and I'm repeating stuff for nothing. I just don't want you to do the work for nothing.
Proud member Patriot Guard

bo_mull
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Postby bo_mull » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:21 pm

I read somewhere that it is common for the 1500s to smoke a little on startup if it has been sitting on the side stand for a while. Mine does it also if it is parked for a couple days, I found out that if I park it on the center stand then it doesnt smoke much if any at all.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”