New to me GL1500/MotorTrike trike

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Firea100
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Valkyrie
1989 Honda goldwing trike

New to me GL1500/MotorTrike trike

Postby Firea100 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:01 am

7 year barn find
7 year barn find

Good morning to all on the site! Landed a deal on a 1988 Goldwing/Motortrike. This trike has been sitting, basically as you see it, for over seven years.... Now for the story!
I answered an ad in the Valkyrie web site that was titled: "Anyone interested in a Goldwing trike project?" This used to be the P.O.'s fathers bike. He passed. Some how, and I'm not sure when, it was determined that the bike was "broke" (?) The P.O.'s nephew, a self proclaimed mechanic, started to dis-assemble the trike. To make a long story longer, the motor puked a valve. I found both timing belts intact,But don't know if they are "in time". There was some "witness marks" on the right side timing belt cover where the belt had been rubbing on the cover. All spark plugs were out. Was able to turn motor over by hand... to a point! There's a chunk of valve inside the cylinder stopping you from completely rotating the crankshaft. (also removed a small piece with the aid of a magnet through the spark plug hole.) (Larger piece won't fit through hole.) Also the spark plug in the problem cylinder was busted (something hit it and damaged the insulator and ground element) This trike was in Mansfield Texas. I had to attend a three week class in Dallas, so I timed everything so I could pick it up on the 2nd of July and trailer it home on the 23rd. I had 6 days before my class started, so I poked around and cleaned the "bright work" some and added some polish to make it look a little nicer. Had to re-install the rear trunk, seat and console that holds the cassette assembly. The nephew contacted me and gave up part of the story. At some point, he/they tried to start it and it abruptly stopped. Then they tried to push start it, fortunatly they were on a sand/gravel drive, and the tires just skidded instead of grabbing and possibly breaking somthing further!! MY NEPHEW (who DOES know his way around Japanese bikes) is coming over today and we may possibly tear into the cyl. head to have a look. I guess, best case scenario would be that I'll either re-do the head or replace it with a good used one and that the piston isn't beat up too badly or worse yet, BROKE. The good news in all of this is that I scored the trike for $2500.00 !! So it won't hurt too badly putting in a couple of bucks to get it running again. Well, that's my story, any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Attachments
After a little spit and polish
After a little spit and polish
Suspect spark plug
Suspect spark plug

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: New to me GL1500/MotorTrike trike

Postby Mh434 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:25 pm

One suggestion would be, once the head is off, to use a dial gauge to check the height of the pistons at TDC on that side, to rule out the possibility of a bent rod as well. I don't know if this happens in 'Wings, but it sure does in other bikes, when something stops the free travel of one of the pistons. In Kawasaki Concours, for example, even a leaky jet in one of the carbs can cause a hydraulic lock & bend a rod, even just when using the starter! It doesn't take much to bend a rod. I'd hate to see you get that far into the motor, put it all back together with another head, only to discover massively low compression on that cylinder after it's all done.

To be honest, with the likelihood of the PO having changed the timing belts & apparently messed up the timing, the rod, rod bearing, and piston from that cylinder are all suspect. I'd check them out when it's all apart and, with even a trace of luck, they're all fine, and you can carry on with your build plan with the confidence that the lower end of the cylinder is healthy.

Just my $.02....

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:35 pm

I have heard that 2nd hand engines for the 1500s are not that expensive. This may be an option if you run into difficulties. Great find.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Firea100

Postby Firea100 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:25 pm

Thanks Mh434 and redial for your input.The dial indicator idea will be on my list of "checks" once I get into the head. Valkyries are prone to the hydrostatic lock because of the height of the fuel level above the engine and the vacuum actuated fuel shut off. I have priced complete motors and can probably get one for under $1,000 which, in the grand sceme of things, isn't all that bad. But hopefully a $50.00 cylinder head will work instead! Thank you both again for your input.
I'll report back as soon as I have more info to share.
Larry in East China Mi.

Firea100

Postby Firea100 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Can anyone tell me where to look to find out if 1990 cylinder heads will work on a 1988 gl1500 engine? Is there an interchange manual on line?
Thanks,
Larry in East China Mi.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:20 pm

I would contact a shop ( NOT dealer ) who works 100% on Wings to ask about the cylinder head swap, as well as a replacement motor, they are not real expensive.

I found myself one for just a few hundred, complete. This was from a friend of mine, who had his bike totaled out from under him by a idiot. I decided to pass on the deal as I do not need it right now, and sorry, but it is gone, but the deals are out there to be found.

You might also search the various motorcycle salvage yards around the country, see if you have any luck that way. I use Steeles Motorcycle Salvage out of Englewood Colo, good prices and they ship for a decent price too. I hear there is a large yard in the Ks area also.

http://www.steelescycle.com/

http://www.ozpowersports.com/
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Firea100

Postby Firea100 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Thank you, Uncle Fester for the quick reply. I'll check them out tomorrow.
Larry in East China Mi.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:10 pm

You may want to try here for used parts: http://www.straightwings.com/
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Firea100

Postby Firea100 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Thank you trike lady. I've started to scan their site already. I've also emailed them to request info.
Thanks Again,
Larry in East China Mi.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”