Just Got Around To Trailer Wiring

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Doug B.
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda GL1500SE with DFT Trike kit
1998 HondaGL1500SE
1995 Honda GL1500I
1984 Honda VF700 Magna
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
1970 Honda CT70HKO (4 speed)

Just Got Around To Trailer Wiring

Postby Doug B. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:59 pm

I purchased a '98 GL1500SE end of this winter and just got around to getting the trailer lights in order. This is a picture of the 5 pin (plus ground) presently on my bike:

I can't be sure if this is wired to a isolation unit or just a "plug-n'-play" connection. Is there a way to test this with either a multimeter or test light, or is it necessary to remove tupperware to really know for sure.
Here is a picture of a 12 volt auxiliary block directly off the battery.

Note the cable running off the bottom. Might this be a feed to a isolation unit?
I am looking to get into a four prong flat connector presently on my trailer.
I metered the connections and this is what I found while looking at the connector from the back of my bike with the ground plug in the lower right (just like picture above) of the plug going clockwise:

bottom middle: left flasher
bottom left: right flasher
top left: brake
top middle: running lights
top right: running lights

Any suggestions on what I've got and the best way to get to the flat four prong I desire?
One other thing....where is the flasher located on such a bike. It appears to be mounted on the rear of the bike. At least that's what my ears tell me!
Thanks for the help!

"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common." Charles Kuralt

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Just Got Around To Trailer Wiring

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 am

Just cut it off and rewire to your 4 way plug, combine the two running light lines into one.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:23 pm

RBGERSON wrote:Just cut it off and rewire to your 4 way plug, combine the two running light lines into one.

Except if this is not on an isolator, doing this will make your brake lights flash when you engage your turn signals.

I would first make sure that there is an isolator installed. I've been using this one for a few years now, and it's great - and cost less to buy than it would have been for me to make myself.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 pm

On mine, sense I am not sure how it was wired, except that I do not see any relays, just cut and hard wired to the various lights below the left saddle bag, I am making a set of 5 relays just behind the passengers butt, mounted to the leading edge of the trunk, that will be wired as:
1) left turn
2) right turn
3) running
4) brake
5) constant hot (for a cig charger for cells ect on trailer)
I am going to use a 6 round plug with the ground going straight to chassis/frame ground.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:On mine, sense I am not sure how it was wired, except that I do not see any relays, just cut and hard wired to the various lights below the left saddle bag, I am making a set of 5 relays just behind the passengers butt, mounted to the leading edge of the trunk, that will be wired as:
1) left turn
2) right turn
3) running
4) brake
5) constant hot (for a cig charger for cells ect on trailer)
I am going to use a 6 round plug with the ground going straight to chassis/frame ground.

Right, if it's wired direct, it's not isolated. What you're doing is exactly what I was going to do - but just the relays alone cost more than the whole isolator from Cyclemax, and it is a plug-and-play item that plugs directly into the existing harnesses with no wiring/cutting/soldering involved.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 pm

I get my relays for $6.99 each at Advance Auto parts, or $.50 each at my local pick a part, I just barrow a battery and test before buying them. . . . Junk yard is a GREAT source for switches and relays.

**EDIT**
Just looked at the isolator you linked, NICE ! Will probably do that too, cheaper and cleaner. Where does the relay block mount on the bike ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:I get my relays for $6.99 each at Advance Auto parts, or $.50 each at my local pick a part, I just barrow a battery and test before buying them. . . . Junk yard is a GREAT source for switches and relays.

**EDIT**
Just looked at the isolator you linked, NICE ! Will probably do that too, cheaper and cleaner. Where does the relay block mount on the bike ?

And it's potted, so it's more or less waterproof. It's pretty tiny, so it fits pretty much anywhere you can find room to stuff it. It's maybe 2 inches by 1 inch by 3/4" in size. I don't actually remember exactly where I put mine, it is just zip-tied into place somewhere under the trunk.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”