1994 gokdwing trike no back brakes. Please help !!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
mjlunsf
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing Lehman Trike. 2008 Harley Davidson Heritage softail

1994 gokdwing trike no back brakes. Please help !!

Postby mjlunsf » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:03 am

Does anyone know anything about back brakes on a 94 Goldwing Lehman trike.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: 1994 gokdwing trike no back brakes. Please help !!

Postby trike lady » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
If your conversion is running drum brakes they usually are adjusted with a special tool from the back.
Most likely a Ford axle.
Any brake fluid leaking?
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

crispy
Motorcycle: none at the moment

Postby crispy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi mate ,as trike lady has said is your unit running drum or discs ? If you are running drums then there is a bit that could be wrong but lets start with the basics ,when was the last time you checked your brakeshoes as they may be worn to there limit and no ammount of adjustment will make it better ,the tool that trike lady is talking about is called a brake adjutment tool and it looks like a bent screwdriver at both ends .this is inserted into a small hole in the rear plate of the drum system and you engage a ratchet adjuster and move the said adjuster until the shoes just bind ( make contact with the drum) The second thing is when did you last check your hydraulic fluid with this as trike lady has said is there any fluid around the drum ,on the inside of your wheels or leaking from any of the joints including the bleed niple . I f you feel confident in doing work on your trike i would suggest you remove one rear wheel making sure your vehicle is secure and stable as the park brake must be of if it has one ,remove your drum from this rear wheel and have a look inside ,be carefull when working with drum dust paper mask and eye protection do not use pressure air to remove it will go everywhere , check your wheel cylinder for leakage a seal or cup may be worn and you will know this by all the hydraulic fluid everywhere ,check your pipe going to the wheel cylinder for leaks as well if nothing else you can get an idea on how the system works and give it a clean with a brush if no leaks are found which means either a new set of shoes or adjustment is required ,hope this will help you as i hate taking stuff to a shop if i can do it myself and it will also give you more insite into your ride .

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:57 pm

I am not familiar with the trike's brakes, but the 2 wheeled GL1500's have a linked brake system. If the trike is the same, not too sure why the manufacturer wouldn't change this, then you may also take a look at your left front brake caliper to see that no fluid is escaping from there either. Loss of hydraulic pressure anywhere will render them inoperable.

Keep the rubber side down.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”