Reverse Gear Damage? Good Idea Bad Results

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
HeyBerg1
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 A
1986 Yamaha Virago VT 700 SOLD
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Reverse Gear Damage? Good Idea Bad Results

Postby HeyBerg1 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:46 pm

Let me explain my situation with my 94 wing. I had a good idea but I'm sure I've done something stupid and now may have problems I'm not going to be happy about. I purchased a center parking stand from Harbor Freight and mounted it to a section of plywood so I can drive right up to it and park the wing without setting it on side stand or center stand to park it. I'd use reverse to back it out of the stand and be on my way. After doing this several times now I've noticed my dash turn signal lights both come on at the same time very faintly while backing in reverse or even sometimes while riding down the road. I know it hasn't ever done this before. So I'm wondering what I may have done to my wing. I'm sure there is too much resistance for the reverse gear to back out of the parking stand. I'm wondering how much damage I may have caused. Any suggestions as to why my dash turn signal lights come faintly now? I do believe only the dash lights light up and not the turn signals themselves.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Re: Reverse Gear Damage? Good Idea Bad Results

Postby Sidcar » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:19 am

Immediate thought is a bad earth somewhere.
My starter has to move a sidecar as well as the bike and I don't have any problems.

Sid

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:12 am

I have to agree with Sidcar. What you describe indicates an electrical issue, usually related to grounding. Start at the fuses and relays, pulling them, cleaning and making sure all the connection points are making good contact. Actually, start at the battery!Then go through pulling apart the electrical plugs-checking for loose/damaged wires and reconnecting. There are a few grounding points on the bike-locate them and insure they are making good contact. It doesn't sound as though you've done any mechanical damage, but chasing electrical gremlins can be time consuming.

m2102
Motorcycle: new to me 1800 wing

Postby m2102 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:16 am

I agree with Sidcar on a faulty ground. the only lights involved with engaging reverse are the reverse and neutral lights. check around the reverse lever on left and the right side here the reverse is actually engaged. you have fuses and such on both sides close to both parts. also, like your idea for parking your bike. did you use one that "rocks" forward when you pull into it?>

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:32 am

KISS applies here~ Start by having your battery load stated.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:03 am

Mechanical damage is usually accompanied by an unpleasant noise from the component.

KISS ? Not one I know apart from the obvious but that usually causes you problems not solves them.

Sid

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:26 am

KISS... American acronym for Keep It Simple, Stupid!
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:02 am

Thank you all for that helpful information. I'll start looking at the connections from the battery onward as I can. Yes, the front wheel rolls into a position that enables the wing to stay upright without either side stand or center stand. Very hard to manually back out of though and that's where the reverse gear comes in so handy. I'll post some photos hopefully later today.

HeyBerg1
2014 Timeout ION Trailer

Postby HeyBerg1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:12 pm

This is what the stand looks like as it's bolted to a section of plywood as I placed it back so the rear wheel will rest on the plywood to add the weight that it needs so the stand won't be pulled backwards as it backs out of the stand. This stand costs around $59.95 plus tax. Without reverse I couldn't get it out of the stand as it locks it in very tightly. I used a scrap piece of plywood I had sitting around. Works great!

Parking stand bolted to section of plywood
Parking stand bolted to section of plywood
Wing sitting in the stand
Wing sitting in the stand
Attachments
Another angle
Another angle

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”