Fails to start?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
huntsman47
Motorcycle: 2000 /1500 25th anniversary gl

Fails to start?

Postby huntsman47 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:18 am

A friend of mine also rides a 1500 se and after driving it into the garage and turning off it will not start? He set up a extra cigar socket in the trunk but the wiring is straight forward for that and was checked. The switch turned on and button depressed to start equals nothing. We checked all the fuses and stared at the electrical starting circuit wiring diagram for a long time. We found a relay switch behind the battery and shorted the main terminals and the starter turned over but no start? We then replaced the start solenoid but to our disappointment no cigar! All fuses were checked and found good. I am out of options so if anyone can get me going in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated! We are both a little frustrated. If any of you are a Goldwing mechanic and were willing to let me contact you i will gladly pay for the phone call! Thanks in advance---huntsman47.

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: Fails to start?

Postby Dogsled » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:12 am

Check the kill switch on the handlebar, that has happened. and your kickstand switch may be bad
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 am

We need to know if the bike cranks, but doesn't fire, OR, doesn't crank at all. These two conditions would lead us down completely different paths.

If it cranks, it could be as simple as a low battery. If the battery gets low on 1500's, they will crank but there may not be enough juice left to fire the ignition, fooling us into believing the battery's okay, because the bike spins over. Sometimes they'll fire as you release the starter button, as there's enough inertia to keep the motor turning for a moment, and, for an instant, there's enough juice to fire the plugs. This happened to me, and many others here. You could also try using jumper cables to another known-good battery (but do NOT jumper to a battery attached to a running engine - the current may fry wiring on your bike - leave the other vehicle shut off, and use JUST the current from its battery).

If this gets it started, the battery is the culprit. Mine had an apparently good, high-end Odyssey AGM battery, which turned out to be a tiny bit shy of the amperage necessary to start the bike after sitting for a day or more. I replaced the battery with a new AGM (I've since added a 95-amp alternator), and the bike would start fast & easy, every time.

If the alternator is weak, on short or low-speed riding it will be bleeding charge from the battery, and if it has failed (for example, the alternator brushes on many 1500's have been known to fail - these can be easily replaced).

If the bike doesn't crank at all, but all the ignition & dashboard lights work, then follow Dogsled's advice, and check the kill switch (apparently a very common problem) and the sidestand switch (does the sidestand light on the dash stay on when the stand is up?).

Give us some more symptoms, and the pros here will diagnose your problem with ease...

huntsman47

Postby huntsman47 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:33 am

Many thanks for the help! The bike has all lights working but will not crank and we have a car batt attached. It is not in a car but on the floor separately. The bike will not crank and even when a start relay is by -passed the starter will work and turn the motor over but it will not start? what else do I need to give you for info?

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:35 pm

Mh434,
That's a great question about the sidestand light staying on.....I never had it happen to me, just read what other people had problems with. Nobody has ever mentioned (that I have read) if the light was off or on when the switch failed.

I do personally know you feel like a **** when it turns out to be the kill switch
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

huntsman47

Postby huntsman47 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:05 pm

I will be checking the kill switch on Monday and post my findings?

waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 pm

I had a problem with my 89 1500 where the side stand was up and the light was off but the bike would not turn over. I had to reach down and flick the switch with my hand and everything was fine. Sounds exactly like what you are experiencing.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:54 am

Many thanks for the help! The bike has all lights working but will not crank and we have a car batt attached. It is not in a car but on the floor separately. The bike will not crank and even when a start relay is by -passed the starter will work and turn the motor over but it will not start? what else do I need to give you for info?

I hope your problems have all disappeared by now, BUT if they are still there, then start from the start. Get a multimeter on the battery and check its voltage directly from the two terminals. If it is ok, check the same when it is being cranked. Just because you use a car battery, does not mean that you are getting the volts through. If they do not have enough volts, they will not start! You are looking for volts, not amps. For a healthy battery, there should be 2.2 volts per cell. The starter needs plenty of these cells to be working at the same time, and if one of these is sulphated up, it cannot deliver all of the volts.

Keep us informed of what you find.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

huntsman47

Postby huntsman47 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:49 pm

I have found the culprit! It was as several of you predicted, the Kill Switch!! I replaced it and now all is well. My sincere thanks for everyones help, as I am a newbie to all this your help is invaluable! Again THANKS A BUNCH! -------Huntsman47.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm always relieved when a problem like this is solved!

Is it me, or does there seem to be an increase in the number of kill-switch related issues recently?

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Mh434 wrote:I'm always relieved when a problem like this is solved!

Is it me, or does there seem to be an increase in the number of kill-switch related issues recently?

There seems to have been a "rash" of dog-bone fuse related issues as well.

Glad to be reading the problem has been resolved!
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:33 am

waituntilthebeep wrote:I had a problem with my 89 1500 where the side stand was up and the light was off but the bike would not turn over. I had to reach down and flick the switch with my hand and everything was fine. Sounds exactly like what you are experiencing.

There are actually two switches (well, technically one, but it's a SPDT) inside the sidestand switch: One that kills the engine, and one that turns on the "sidestand" light on the dash. Sounds like yours was dirty/in need of replacement.

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby Corkster52 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:28 am

Kill switch failed on me 2 weeks ago and 107 miles from home. Did find out that AAA towing is free, up to 100 miles. Then it is $4/mile after that.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”