Charcoal Canister

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
vwiens
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 SE

Charcoal Canister

Postby vwiens » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:55 am

I have a 1994 GL 1500. The Charcoal Canister fell off when I went over a rough railroad crossing. As near as I can tell this is part of the emissions system needed for California driving. It is still attached to the bike only by the two hoses on the canister. Can I remove the canister permanently without damaging the engine or how the engine runs. I think the purpose of the canister is to trap fuel fumes from the fuel tank when the bike is not in use. The fumes are them sucked back into the engine from the charcoal in the canister once the engine is running.
Any thoughts on my idea to remove canister permanently.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Charcoal Canister

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 am

On the non-California bikes, the hose that would go to this canister just hangs loose, not connected to anything. So you can safely just pull the hoses off the canister and remove the canister, it will not affect the operation of the bike in any way.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:51 pm

I've seen people replace the canisters with a longer hose that routes to the lower areas like the other drain tubes and then cap the end of the hose with a breather filter, like the breather filters used on car valve covers. If the hose or filter clogs you could get milky moisture in the crankcase oil. If you don't have some length of hose there you could get abrasive dirt entering the crankcase. Myself, I'd get a used 49 state canister and hoses.

Scott

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 pm

mrtwowheel wrote:I've seen people replace the canisters with a longer hose that routes to the lower areas like the other drain tubes and then cap the end of the hose with a breather filter, like the breather filters used on car valve covers. If the hose or filter clogs you could get milky moisture in the crankcase oil. If you don't have some length of hose there you could get abrasive dirt entering the crankcase. Myself, I'd get a used 49 state canister and hoses.

Scott

Good advice to put a breather filter on the end of the hose if you remove the canister. Keep in mind that if you have a California bike, it does not have a vent in the fuel cap, the vent was thru the charcoal canister.........

Bill

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”