Vacuum hoses

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Glennuk
Motorcycle: Custom self built 1500 trike
Goldwing 1800

Vacuum hoses

Postby Glennuk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi I'm new to the forum
I run a 1800 and a 1500 trike that I have just finished building from scratch.
Unfortunately it's not running right from what other wingers have said it sounds like a vacuum leak
So my question is which hoses are the most prone to leaks ?

hotwire
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

Re: Vacuum hoses

Postby hotwire » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Hey, friend. I'm not real familiar with the 1500, since I run a 1200, but one trick I've used in the past to find vacuum leaks is once you have gained some access to the engine, try spraying WD-40 on each hose and adjacent connection with engine idling. When you hear the engine change, you have found your leak, as the vacuum leak will suck in the oil and the engine will momentarily run with a different sound, works great, if your problem is indeed a vacuum leak, 'nuff said. :lol: :lol:

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Vacuum hoses

Postby redial » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 pm

So my question is which hoses are the most prone to leaks ?

The ones with bends. Especially the one tucked under the rubber mat for the carbs. If you have one leaking, the solution appears to be to go and purchase a length of hose from your favourite purveyor of stuff, and replace all of the vacuum hoses you find. Then come back to us if that does not work. In the meantime, be happy!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”