Strange starting situation?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Strange starting situation?

Postby rzaugg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Just got an 89 Aspencade. Love the bike and have had no problems except rain since getting it. It never actually fails to start, but will not try to fire while cranking. If that makes sense. Seems like I could crank it for as long as I want and it would not fire, but if I do it right, and have a bit of throttle on, as soon as I let off the start button it will start. Just got my manual and haven't dug into it, but was curious if anyone has seen this before and could save me some diagnosis time.

On a different subject, same bike, it has a Kriss manufacturing combination digital meter mounted by the ign. switch that the plug is ripped out of. Not a big deal, but I am the type that thinks "If it's on the bike, it might as well work". If anyone has any info or possibly a meter laying around, I could deal with it. Even if I had a picture of the back of it to know where the wires go, I could solder them direct and hope it works.

Thanks guys

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Strange starting situation?

Postby Mh434 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:26 pm

99% chance your starting problem is a failing battery. This is a common problem on the 1500's (tons of threads on it - I had precisely the same problem a couple of months ago). When the battery's on its way out, there's enough juice to a) spin the motor, or b) fire the plugs...but not both. When you let off the starter button, the motor still spins for a moment & there's a moment when ther's enough juice to fire the plugs before the engine stops turning.

New battery will fix this. BUY AN AGM-TYPE BATTERY! You'll thank yourself later!

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:15 pm

:yup: Ditto on the failing battery. It takes a lot of power to turn the engine over, if the battery is going south, turning the engine takes all the batteries power and there isn't enough left to run the ignition system.
Bill

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:19 am

Totally agree on both points.
Weak battery and go for the AGM when replacing it.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Coyote1
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500

Postby Coyote1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:23 am

I just went through the same thing with my 98. Battery seemed fine but a couple of members said the same thing, weak battery. I tested it and found that it had too low voltage when cranking and not enough for ignition spark. Replaced the battery with a AGM type with 350 cranking amps and now it starts right up. When looking for a good battery I found that some cheaper AGM batteries do not have much more power than a conventional battery so do your homework.

Got mine from Battery Stuff is in Oregon. Cost was $88, no tax and free priority mail shipping.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports ... HL-BS.html

The further I go the behinder I get.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”