1500 rolled off kickstand, now NO TAIL LIGHTS.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

1500 rolled off kickstand, now NO TAIL LIGHTS.

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 pm

I went camping in WV this weekend. At one of my stops on Saturday, I had backed up using Reverse. When I was done, I took it out of reverse, put the kickstand down and shut it off. I forgot to put it in gear. After I got off, it rolled forward, off the stand and fell over. Embarrassed, I picked it up, put it in gear and put the kick stand down. Didn't think anything else about it until, as I was leaving, I noticed the Temp Gage and Fuel Gage weren't working. I stopped, got off the bike and looked around. NONE of the running lights worked. I had headlights, turn signals, brake lights, and 4 ways. The center of the cluster was lit, but not each side. I had a neutral light and hi beam indicator. No Reverse light (and reverse didn't work) nor OD light. Went thru all the fuses, none blown. It was dark by this time and I was 20 miles from the campground. Since I had headlights, brake lights, and 4 ways, I decided to go ahead and try to get to the campground and see if I could figure it out there instead of beside the road. I drove about 5 miles and EVERYTHING came back on. I rode for about 5 hours this morning, no problems. Left WV to come home about 1:00. I stopped about 3:30 and filled up. When I took off again, NO Running Lights again. I came on home. When it started getting dusky dark, I turned the 4 ways on and came on home. Got home about 8:30. Put the bike in the garage. Too tired to work on it tonight but, has ANYONE else had this happen? Any suggestions? I'm thinking possibly a ground. Is there a seperate ground that would kill those lights but not the ones that ARE working? HEEELLLLPPPP!

'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1500 rolled off kickstand, now NO TAIL LIGHTS.

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 pm

mtn_boy1 wrote:I went camping in WV this weekend. At one of my stops on Saturday, I had backed up using Reverse. When I was done, I took it out of reverse, put the kickstand down and shut it off. I forgot to put it in gear. After I got off, it rolled forward, off the stand and fell over. Embarrassed, I picked it up, put it in gear and put the kick stand down. Didn't think anything else about it until, as I was leaving, I noticed the Temp Gage and Fuel Gage weren't working. I stopped, got off the bike and looked around. NONE of the running lights worked. I had headlights, turn signals, brake lights, and 4 ways. The center of the cluster was lit, but not each side. I had a neutral light and hi beam indicator. No Reverse light (and reverse didn't work) nor OD light. Went thru all the fuses, none blown. It was dark by this time and I was 20 miles from the campground. Since I had headlights, brake lights, and 4 ways, I decided to go ahead and try to get to the campground and see if I could figure it out there instead of beside the road. I drove about 5 miles and EVERYTHING came back on. I rode for about 5 hours this morning, no problems. Left WV to come home about 1:00. I stopped about 3:30 and filled up. When I took off again, NO Running Lights again. I came on home. When it started getting dusky dark, I turned the 4 ways on and came on home. Got home about 8:30. Put the bike in the garage. Too tired to work on it tonight but, has ANYONE else had this happen? Any suggestions? I'm thinking possibly a ground. Is there a seperate ground that would kill those lights but not the ones that ARE working? HEEELLLLPPPP!

Everything you mention as not working, is one circuit. That circuit is controlled by fuse 9, and relay 3. I would do two things:

Replace fuse 9, even if it checks OK. Swap it with a different 15 amp fuse if you don't have a spare handy.

Swap relay 3 with another relay (say relay 6, which is for the air pump). If that fixes it, then the relay is likely bad - replace it.

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 pm

I did switch the fuse the first time it did it, that didn't fix it, at least not for 5 miles LOL. Is Relay 3 in the box beside the fuse box?
'Soldier HARD'
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 pm

10-4 on what the boss wrote about relay 3 and is the bitchiest one to reach 3rd over from the left at the top. Remove relays 1 & 2 to get at 3 easier along with removing the 4 left side bag screws for a little more clearance to get the relay cover off. Relay 3 is a common failure but yours might have jiggled loose.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

mtn_boy1

Postby mtn_boy1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:47 am

DING, DING, DING, And the winner is... Relay #3! Thanks guys. CT the suggestion to remove the saddlebag screws was spot on! It's burnt, I can smell it.
'Soldier HARD'

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:31 am

mtn_boy1 wrote:I did switch the fuse the first time it did it, that didn't fix it, at least not for 5 miles LOL. Is Relay 3 in the box beside the fuse box?

Yes it is:

Relay 3
Relay 3

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:42 pm

The info and knowledge on this site is amazing :)

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Pam wrote:The info and knowledge on this site is amazing :)

BEYOND Amazing ! I am never anything but amazed after a bit of time on this site.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”