Ring of fire

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
david607
Motorcycle: GL1500 1989

Ring of fire

Postby david607 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:16 am

Hi just wondered if ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WIRE OR SHOULD I SAY THE ROUTING OF THE WIRES TO THE FRONT WHEEL AND DO YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO TURN IT OFF FOR THE MOT TEST THANKS DAVE

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Ring of fire

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:09 am

I have a brake cylinder mounted switch box to turn mine on/off
I routed the wires along the brake lines.

david607
Motorcycle: GL1500 1989

Postby david607 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 am

Thank you so much Dave ;)

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Mine was installed by a previous owner, wired ON 100% of the time, wire ran along the brake line, and I have had no problems here in Oklahoma, or while traveling in Texas, Nebraska, or Colorado.

On a side note, my Ring Of Fire is different from ANY others I have seen. All I have seen are Amber out and Amber in, Amber out and Red & Blue in, but mine is Amber out and solid Blue in, I wish I knew who made it and where to get replacement LED strip when ever it might become time.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:On a side note, my Ring Of Fire is different from ANY others I have seen. All I have seen are Amber out and Amber in, Amber out and Red & Blue in, but mine is Amber out and solid Blue in, I wish I knew who made it and where to get replacement LED strip when ever it might become time.

Mine is the same as yours, I got matching replacement LED strips from Gary at Cyclemax.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:27 pm

cool, THANKS ! I will get in touch with him soon, as I would like to have back ups available BEFORE they go bad.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

ronjr123

Postby ronjr123 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:29 am

Are they really worth having?

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:13 am

From a decorative point, I think so, I LOVE how they look !

I also think they are a good safety feature as they give more light to the side of your bike, making you more visible to others. Look at a stock 'Wing from the side in the evening / night vs a bike with a Ring of Fire at the same time of day and decide for yourself. I am all for ANYTHING that helps me stand out to others on the road, lights, chrome, paint, pipes (to a point, too loud is no good ), ______ you fill in the blank.

To me it is all about enjoying the ride, and part of that is not worrying that the idiot in the car / truck next to you doesn't see you, thats also why I try to look around a lot while riding, and make eye contact with those next to me, MAYBE then they will see me.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:02 pm

I modified my RoF by totally removing the LEDs that came on them. In their place I installed an RGB LED strip and also added some (strips) to brackets I made and JB Welded to the insides of the rotor covers. After wording them all together and tying them in to the rest of the LED system, my front end is very noticeable at night. As seen in this pic, there are 55 individual RGB LEDs just on this side if the wheel...and they change colors with the rest if the system.
Keep the rubber side down.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:14 pm

LOVE IT ! Very nice looking set up, any chance of a video showing the lights changing color ?

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:LOVE IT ! Very nice looking set up, any chance of a video showing the lights changing color ?

Hmm! Oddly enough, I do not have a video of MY bike changing colors, though there is a video of the LED indicator light I made for my dash...

And here is a video of a client's trike that I put the same LED system on:

alexw
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby alexw » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:27 am

I recently had the original LEDsource go bad on one of my rotor covers. Ring of fire replacements are very expensive so I began searching for alternatives. I found LED straps that laid in nicely and look great. Replaced both sides for less than ten dollars. I like the look, seems cleaner.
Attachments

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:11 am

I had them on my 92 wing years back. They do look nice and shows off your shiny wheels. When they first came out it was just the amber strips and it was attached to the rotor cover with 2 way tape. Later the covers were made and then later the multi colored one came out. There was concern about some states that only allow certain color lights on the front of emergency vehicles.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 pm

You can buy replacement LED strips that are made specifically for the rings of fire.

Cyclemax doesn't have them listed on their site, but I got mine from them.

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:43 am

When I redid my Rings of Fire to compliment the RGB LEDs that are strewn throughout my bike, I used exactly the same flexible strips sold to me by my supplier. I mated the Rings and the LED strips in July of 2011, and they remained precisely where I put them ever since (I had to replace one side when a single cell of 3 LEDs began to fail on one color.) Considering the other side has been on now for 5 years this month, I'm confident to say this:
You can get away with using any 12mm to 14mm (or so) wide flexible strip with 3M double sided tape. Be diligent and thorough when you remove the old LEDs and CLEAN the old sticky material off the Ring, I use the General Adhesive Cleaner that I get at Oreilly's. DO NOT LEAVE THE CLEANER TO SIT ON ANY PLASTIC PIECES, moisten a rag or shop towel or the like with the cleaner and use your finger to aggressively scrub the sticky residue from your parts. Cut your new strip to length, attach wiring as necessary, peel the backing off the 3M, stick the strip in place. I used a zip tie on each side of every 'window' around the outside edge of the Ring to ensure the strip stayed right where I wanted it, I didn't remove the zip ties until after my first ride with the new strips.
Keep in mind doing this as I have described, the new LEDs will NOT be facing outwards as the factory ones do, instead they will be facing concentrically inwards from the circumference of the Ring, emitting light in a 120° departure from the surface of the sfrip. The good trade-off here is that almost any strips you buy at any auto parts store will have generously more LEDs in it than the strips you took off. The end result is your dirty front wheel will try to reflect the light, and produces a very nice aura...so wash your front wheel!
I've included a link to see the results of my work: https://goo.gl/photos/M5hwDmUiKKKDLqe96

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 am

I just visited the link I just posted...
I feel it pertinent to point out a little bit of extra stuff that I did.
I made a small plastic bracket that I JBWelded to the inside of the disc cover to which I added more LED strips that are aimed out through the brake cooling vents...and another lil bracket and strip stuck and aimed rearwards out the exit vent, you can see the exit vent just below the end of my fork tube in this picture:
https://goo.gl/photos/hufwyRc2A6koXieK7

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:06 am

I haven't bought anything from this company, but have bookmarked the site just in case.
They seem to carry a lot of LED lighting options.

Custom Dynamics

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”