GL1500 HID's Causing Radio Issues

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

GL1500 HID's Causing Radio Issues

Postby am3098 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Last I picked up a set of the Goldwing HID headlights for my 1500. So far I love the amount of light these things put out which makes me more visible. I was reading some of the tech posts on another Goldwing forum and they were talking about the HID lights causing radio issues; specifically taking out the radio's power supply. Some of the posts mentioned that their radios were repaired by Sierra Electronics. I called Sierra and they said that they've repaired about a dozen radios with this issue, and all of the bikes were running HID bulbs.

Has anyone who's running HID's had radio issues? I called SoCal Motosports who makes the Goldwing HID's and they said that they have only heard of one case where the HID's were blamed for causing a radio issue. They said that they've sold hundreds of the HID upgrade kits for the 1500 and have very little problems. Another option SoCal just started offering for the 1500 is an LED headlight which is rated at 80W. I've thought about changing to the LED headlamps but I'd hate to give up my HID's. If the chance of having a radio issue is very small I may roll the dice and stick with the HID's.

A.J. Musial
USAF Reserve Retired
West Farmington, OH
94 1500SE
02 Bushtec

"A Veteran - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the U.S.A., in the amount of up to and including their life"

Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: GL1500 HID's Causing Radio Issues

Postby MikeB » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 am

I have the HID's sold by Cyclemax and have had zero problems. I also installed a relay triggered by the oil pressure switch to supply power to the HID ballasts. This delays the power up of the lights until there is oil pressure. It was a mod suggested and used by WingAdmin in his DIY article for the HID upgrade. See this post . The diagram and method used for connecting the relay is towards the bottom of the first page.
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”