Put on the new tire today

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Put on the new tire today

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:20 pm

As the title says, I got the new tire put on the bike today, went with a E3. I can NOT believe the difference the tire makes ! I went on a 50ish mile highway ride, with some left and right curves, to scuff it in some, and the bike FEELS so much lighter and nimbler that I have trouble believing it is the same bike !

I had some unknown brand tire on there, put on by the previous owner, and have put 11K miles since I bought the bike. I hate to admit , but it was down on tread to the point it was NOT safe by any stretch of the mind. . . . and once I saw that, I parked the bike.

I know the front tire is still good on tread, but ASAP I will be putting a E3 up front too. . . .AMAZING TIRE ON A AMAZING BIKE ! ! !

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Put on the new tire today

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:50 pm

What a difference a little extra rubber makes :-)

I've got an E3 on the back of my GL1200. It does wear VERY well, when compared to every other motorcycle tire I've ever run. I do not care for the sound it makes in curves, but I'm getting immune to it... ear plugs have helped too. I didn't put one on the front, but wouldn't hesitate to run one anywhere.

It is good to hear you are pleased with your choice. I'd be interested in hearing (down the road of course) how well it holds up for you over time.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby wingthing88 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:19 pm

I put the E3s on my 88 3 years ago managed almost 20k on the front before I changed it last year. I now have almost 30k on the rear and it still has rubber on it (very little tread). When I replaced the front I went with the e3 again and am saving up the money for the rear and am definitely going with the e3 they are a fantastic tire with incredible wear. As a side note I used 2oz of dyna beads for balance the only vibration I ever get is over 95mph. Thats ok by me I dont need to be doing those speeds I'm getting too old for that and I hope my wife doesn't see this email.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 pm

wingthing88 wrote:I put the E3s on my 88 3 years ago managed almost 20k on the front before I changed it last year. I now have almost 30k on the rear and it still has rubber on it (very little tread). When I replaced the front I went with the e3 again and am saving up the money for the rear and am definitely going with the e3 they are a fantastic tire with incredible wear. As a side note I used 2oz of dyna beads for balance the only vibration I ever get is over 95mph. Thats ok by me I dont need to be doing those speeds I'm getting too old for that and I hope my wife doesn't see this email.

I thought about adding Dyna Beads to my tires too. My tires have regular balancing done to them, but thought about the beads as a back up, so to speak. Thoughts ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 pm

I also use and recommend the E3 for their longevity. The new E3's with the MT designation for Multi-Tread are also quieter in turns from the sets I have installed, whether this will affect total mileage received only time will tell.

The local dealer does my walk-in tire changes with a machine spin balance and tire disposal fee for $36 and is well worth it. If the spin balance is good enough for factory new vehicles it is good enough for me.

Adding beads to a tire that is already machine balanced would be counter productive and not recommended in my view.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

wingthing88

Postby wingthing88 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:17 am

Since I do all my own work, tire changes too, adding the beads was the easy way for me. I dont have a spin balancer and dont like having to take them somewhere to be balancedit works out great for me. It cost about $20 to have tires balanced and I cant afford that every 6 months or so. I agree machine balance and beads would be redundint and pointless if you have a shop mount the tires balancing at that time is the way to go.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:03 pm

It won't hurt to have beads added in addition to weights, but it's redundant and a waste of money. I have been running Dyna Beads (and with my most recent tire change, I tried Counteract Beads) for years now in several bikes as well as in my truck, and have never had a problem or issue.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:20 pm

I had never heard of balancing beads until a few months ago. I asked a local businessman who makes his living installing tires of all makes and sizes if he ever used them. His reply was that "they" had been using them in road tractor and trailer tires for years and he likes them very much. 19 ounces in a truck tire LOL... 2 ounces in a motorcycle tire seems to work just fine. I'm running them in mine and the tires wear very evenly, and ride smoothly.

WingAdmin wrote:It won't hurt to have beads added in addition to weights, but it's redundant and a waste of money. I have been running Dyna Beads (and with my most recent tire change, I tried Counteract Beads) for years now in several bikes as well as in my truck, and have never had a problem or issue.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

tumunga
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Postby tumunga » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 pm

wingthing88 wrote:Since I do all my own work, tire changes too, adding the beads was the easy way for me. I dont have a spin balancer and dont like having to take them somewhere to be balancedit works out great for me. It cost about $20 to have tires balanced and I cant afford that every 6 months or so. I agree machine balance and beads would be redundint and pointless if you have a shop mount the tires balancing at that time is the way to go.

I do all my own work as well. I've balanced MC tires using the stock axle, sticky weights, and 2 5-gallon buckets before. I finally broke down and got a Harbor Freight tire change setup, with a balancer setup. Gonna break it in on the bike sometime next weekend with the front tire.
Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:27 pm

I should mention that I *do* have access to a computerized spin balancer for motorcycle tires, and I don't even bother with it. The beads are easier and better.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 am

Any NEW tire will feel better than and OLD worn tire.
The proof of the tires capability is in the next 10 to 15 K miles.
How it rides, how it wears, how it sticks, how well it holds pressure, If it delivers good service.
Longevity is not the ONLY criteria for a good tire performance - Wear stick and noise are also considerations
Best of luck on the new-to-you tire as you try to wear it out..
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

wingthing88

Postby wingthing88 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:41 am

I ride my e3s like a sport bike rain or shine and a couple of snow storms traction has been great plenty of sticktion.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:25 am

How a tire "handles" is way too subjective and is like asking which motor oil is best. :roll:

If there were numerous reports of bikes going down at the first sign of a sprinkle due to a particular tire then yeah I would probably stay away from that one and the manufacturer would probably be in court. Common sense and slower speeds dictate riding styles in wet weather on any MC or tire combination. They are round, balance out nicely, stick when leaned hard over as far as a Goldwing can go, do not follow road irregularities and they give excellent tread life in my experience.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

wingthing88

Postby wingthing88 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:27 pm

All very true and accurate slowing down is the most important thing in foul weather.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:10 pm

I can tell you, so far they stick in a curve very nice,wet and dry. They handle cracks in the road better than any tire I have ever used on ANY bike I have owned. I do not notice any noise from the tire, but I do tend to TURN IT UP (stereo) a bit when I ride.

Also, here in Oklahoma, they use concrete for the highways, and the cracks between slabs tend to open up over time, some as much as two inches, and this tire just glides over the cracks, even at a shallow angle like changing lanes with the crack running in the direction of travel. My old tire, the front (still unchanged) went over just fine, but the rear gave a slight wobble as it went over the crack, not now. . . .

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”