Won't Turn Over - Could it be Stuck in Reverse?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Tatlowlg
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500SE

Won't Turn Over - Could it be Stuck in Reverse?

Postby Tatlowlg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:38 pm

I backed up my bike and turned the reverse lever down using my feet to push it into the final resting spot. Then I put down the kick stand and shut off the bike. That was about two weeks ago. The battery is fully charged but all I get is a clicking sound from the area of the left side fuses. If I put the key to the ACC position, the dash lights up but not when I have it in the run position. I get nothing besides the clicking sound. Before I get intensive, could it be stuck in the reverse position? I would reason not given it ran once the kick stand was down. Suggestions?

david607
Motorcycle: GL1500 1989

Re: Won't Turn Over - Could it be Stuck in Reverse?

Postby david607 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:18 am

Hi There maybe i am wrong being new to the Goldwing but have you taken off the reverse leaver and checked the cotter pin is still in place on the lever. Just cant understand why you have had to use your foot to select reverses Hope this helps :)

Tatlowlg

Postby Tatlowlg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:05 am

My error in describing what I did. Once I was nearly in place I stopped using reverse by putting the lever down and letting it return to neutral and simply used my feet to finish pushing me into the parking spot. I assumed it was in neutral when I shut off the bike but cannot be certain. Wonder if once the lever is down if you can push the bike but not have it actually return to neutral?

david607
Motorcycle: GL1500 1989

Postby david607 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:49 am

The best way too see if the bikes in neutral is to see if the bike will move with the clutch level not engaged and as you know the reverse gear is used in neutral so it should still be in neutral sorry cant be of any more help as i said new to the wing so i am a virgin too Cheers Dave :)

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:53 am

Having said you pushed it back by foot after using the reverse, it is clear to me that the MECHANICAL GEARING is not stuck in reverse. Question now is if the electrical portion of the reverse lever is in check, or is there another electrical issue. Is the Reverse indicator illuminated? If yes, starter will not run and you'll need to check that reverse lever is entirely in its parked position, if it is, check that it's adjusted properly. If all that checks good, you're having issues elsewhere.
Keep the rubber side down.

Tatlowlg

Postby Tatlowlg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:11 am

well I have the seat etc. off and the covers of the left side fuse and relay box. That is where the clicking sound is coming from. So now I think I best stop and get a mechanic because when it comes to following electronic issues I am all too quickly over my head. Thanks for the responses. I do have the green neutral light on the dash which is telling me, and the free movement of the bike, that yes, it is out of gear but may not be registering on the reverse diode etc.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:22 am

Don't shoot yourself down so quickly. If the clicking is coming from the relay box, that'll be the first starter relay, try swapping it with almost any other relay in the box there and try again, if she turns over, you've found a bad relay. If it changes nothing, follow the starter wire back to the second relay...see if it's getting power from 1st relay (with starter button pushed,) if not, look for damaged wire between relays, if yes check for power on starter side of relay (with button pushed....
Keep the rubber side down.

papaM11945
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing GL 1500 se

Postby papaM11945 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:05 pm

What you describe sounds like a problem I had (have?). I stopped, used reverse and shut down. Next time I tried to start it, no joy. I only got that clicking sound. After tightening the last bolt on the starter that I removed because someone told me "yep, it's your starter. no doubt about it." (not the problem) and thinking about what other wrong things I could do, out of frustration I decided to just jiggle the darn reverse handle (vigorously back and forth). You guessed it. The problem went away. The bike started right up. Must have been a little corrosion somewhere. I know. I'll eventually have to open it up and find out exactly what the problem is but hey, I'm still rolling for now. The next time it happened, just like before I was parked after using my reverse. So...... I just jiggled the reverse lever and away I went. Can't hurt to try it and boy is it a cheap fix.

Tatlowlg

Postby Tatlowlg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanks, I will indeed try your method. Have taken covers, seat etc. off as well as the fuse and relay box covers. Swapped the relays but they seem to be fully functional. Notice the clicking seems to be in the last three fuse areas (whether the fuse is in or not or has been replaced) the 5A RVS Start; 10 A ACC; 15A IGN Start/Cruise in particular. Will use a current tester on them this week.

Friend who is pretty good at electronics will by this week and use a tester on circuit flows etc. This is a great way to learn what's under the covers and patience.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:49 am

If the reverse lever is pulled up even a little bit, the bike will not start. I would pull it up and push it down firmly, to make sure it is disengaged. The reverse cables might also need a bit of adjustment.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:27 pm

There is a switch attached (kinda) to the reverse lever...I know if it is not working the bike will not crank even with showing the neutral lamp on....

Tatlowlg

Postby Tatlowlg » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Mechanic: "Before I come over I want you to do a couple of things. You charged the battery and used a tester between the two poles indicating a full charge, right?"
Me: "Yes"
Mechanic: "Right things to do BUT not a reliable test***. Go and boost it off the car with your jumper cables. If it starts it is a bad battery. If not, it is likely your starter."
Me: "Really, okay, but what clues are you relying on?"
Mechanic: "You got the green light on the dash eh, a weak light BUT the big hint for me is the clicking sound. Usually a bad battery or a starter. Call me back when you have done that."
Me: "Hear that? Vroom. Vroom."
Mechanic: "Great. Now go and buy a new battery. If charged, install it. If not, use a slow trickle charger, 2 amp or so, overnight."
Hours later. New battery. Vroom. Vroom. Now if the snow holds off I will get some rides in.
Thanks all for your earlier suggests. *** I never realized a test between the two poles could be a false positive.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 am

There are a multitude of ways a battery can fail - but it sounds like yours had been either damaged, or sulfated, probably the latter. If a large portion of the plates are sulfated, the cells are still in place, and those portions of the cells that are not sulfated are operating, so you will see full voltage when not under load. However, the battery is not capable of providing any appreciable load.

Think about it this way: The number of cells in the battery determines the voltage. The surface area of the plates in each cell determines the amperage. If your plates are sulfated, you lose the surface area - but the battery still shows correct voltage.

The correct way to test for this is to measure voltage when the battery is under load. If the battery is fully charged, but voltage drops much below 11 volts when the starter is pushed, the battery is likely sulfated.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:39 am

A battery tester is real good and not expensive. Apply a load to fully charged battery and if there is a problem you will know in as little as 10 seconds. Less than $20

http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-h ... -html.html

spragg
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby spragg » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 pm

I had that same problem on my GL1500, this is what I did, take a voltage test light and touch the left nut on the starter relay that's on the right side of the battery, it has a fuse on top of it. If you have power the tester should light up, put the test light on the other nut on the relay and hit the start button, if the test light is off take a screwdriver and make contact with both nuts but be careful not to touch any other metal. If bike tries to start replace the relay. Hope this helps.

kybigmac
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing ASP.,2008 star stratoliner

Postby kybigmac » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:49 am

The whole time I was reading this I kept expecting someone to say check the battery,that seems to be the first thing to check on a 1500! :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”