Rough Idle and strong gas odor

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RHHarrison
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE

Rough Idle and strong gas odor

Postby RHHarrison » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:14 pm

1994 1500SE,
I've had this bike for about 5 years now, and besides the issue I had last year with Starting and the Neutral light ( with the help of this forum I discovered a bad ground) I have been happy with her. The bike has always idled so.so, but recently( 3 mths) it has managed to get worse and it is idling pretty rich,
(smell of gas pretty strong)
I have all the plactic off, have changed the fuel filter, inspected the air filter, pulled the plugs and inspected and done a quick scan of what vacuum lines I could see. I hesitate pulling the carbs as I am not confident that's where the problem is. Any thoughts here before I break down and pull the carbs or put her in the shop.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Rough Idle and strong gas odor

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:21 pm

maybe some carb cleaner like sea foam could be a slide sticking open a bit take the radio cover, air cleaner etc. off and watching the carbs in action the only way to know for sure if that's the issue. Unlikely a air mix screw has moved on it's own but you could adjust them..???
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Get rigourous with your inspection of those vacuum lines, and dont forget the one under the rubber mat. It sounds to me like the vacuum (holes?) are getting bigger, and that is causing you the roughness. That is my view, but I am sure that someone else will pipe in to confirm or adjust my solution.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:42 am

Usually a vacuum leak will cause the engine to run in a lean condition. If you are basing the "rich" condition on smell I suspect you have some other problem. As in fuel leaking somewhere. Check the vacuum operated petcock valve. If it is malfunctioning, leak in diaphragm, you will have a fuel odor as well as a "run" problem. It will leak and not open properly.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RHHarrison
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE

Postby RHHarrison » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:24 am

I will do a more detailed inspection of the vacuum lines. I have seen numerous posts about the
vacuum line under the rubber mat. Can this be located with the carbs on the bike or do they need to be pulled to locate. I warmed up the bike and checked carb sync last night and they were right on.
Will keep at it while I have all the plastics removed.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:42 am

The carbs have to be pulled to get to the 90 degree line. It is under the rubber mat behind the left carb. The usual symptom with that line is the rpms pulsating at idle. You can hear it and the rpms will rise and fall. No fuel smell associated with it.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”