broken down- metal noise

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
IBArider
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

broken down- metal noise

Postby IBArider » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:10 pm

My wife and I had almost finished the days ride when we started to go from being stopped at a stop light when we heard a loud noise like the kick stand fell against a man hole cover. I pulled in the clutch and looked down but all was fine so I started to go again and again a loud noise as if a gear had broken teeth. The noise sounds like it is coming from the transmission area. The 1999 1500 SE would not move although the engine was tach up high. I tried 2nd and 3rd with the same results, not moving but metal noise. After towing it home I drained the engine oil using a window screen over the oil container's screen to catch any metal pieces but all looked good. Any ideas as to what has happen?

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: broken down- metal noise

Postby HALBUDD » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:21 pm

I would pull the right side covers off and pull back the large rubber boot around the u-joint. Look at the u-joint make sure the u-joint is still in good shape. Also see if the splines are still in good shape it could be in the motor but I would check what I have all ready posted. good luck -----------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:23 pm

Put the bike in gear (engine off) and try to roll it in either direction. It shouldn't roll very much, but if it does, listen for your noise down by the front of the driveshaft. Judging from your description, you've broken a u-joint or....worse...developed a more serious transmission problem??
Keep the rubber side down.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:37 pm

What is the mileage on the bike? Pull a trailer?

Pull the right lower cover and pull the driveshaft boot back and see if the shaft is turning when trying to go with bike on centerstand and foot brake on somewhat, be careful done there with fingers. Also check that your reverse linkage is intact and moves OK with lever and engine off, no need to start it to check that. With lever up and in neutral rock bike back and forth it shouldn't move. Don't worry too much about running it for a few seconds, if the damage is internal it has already been done. Any mechanic you took it to would want to start it and hear a noise for themselves to diagnose.

Depending on mileage and with your year, starting from a regular stop a suspicion would be the clutch blew up or U Joint snapped and hopefully nothing major.
Attachments
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:49 am

Many GL1500's suffer from worn final drive flanges and mating splines from a lack of lubrication.
When these finally break they make a horrible sound and there is no drive.
Isolate the sound through trial by putting the bike on the center stand and placing it gently into gear...
If the sound comes from the rear hub it may be a final drive issue...you can find these on eBay usually..
Replace the final drive and the driven flange and carry on...
If the sound is more forward it is likely the U-joint ...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

IBArider
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Postby IBArider » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Thank you all!The 1999 1500 SE has 149164 miles when this happen. I put it in gear with the engine off & sitting on my bike lift. Turned the rear tire and the tire did turn making a jerking roll from the boot to the rear tire. I can not see any damage from the boot being pulled back. I tried the reverse lever and the nose is located more toward the rear tire instead of the hold shaft unit as when it is in gear. So at lease we know that it is not the transmission but I have not determined where between the shaft connection at the transmission and the rear tire the problem is. I guess I will have to start disassemble the drive unit. The Honda dealer told me that I can no longer get OEM factory parts for the differential. If this is true do you have any suggestions?

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rzaugg » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm pretty new to the 1500 model, but a lot of things are still around for them if they look. They can do a dealer search to see if someone has one on the shelf. Not all parts guys will do this unless you ask, or they are a personal friend. Kind of like selling other guys parts for them.

Good Luck, and be glad you don't have a 1200, there's nothing around anymore for them.

Do a search on E-bay. You might find an entire used one.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Drain the final drive oil and check that for bits or discoloration and remove the fill plug for it so you can eyeball the ring gear.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

jfrank
Motorcycle: GL1500 SE

Postby jfrank » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:14 pm

If you find it is the final drive unit with rounded splines, look for a trike dealer. They replace the final drive in the Trike process. I had to replace mine on my 1996 about 8 years ago because I did not get the rubber seals in place when I did my rear tire change. I paid $125 dollars for one that had 12 thousand mile on it. It came with the rear wheel, so I have a spare in the garage now. Was even from a newer bike. Fit fine. No problems since.

Good Luck.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 am

The final drive unit can be found on eBay as well..low mileage units are around $150 and the replacement is an easy process... I found one for mine as a trike take off with zero miles on it ..lucky me ....but paid a bit more too...

I currently have an extra in the garage but I have 2 GL1500 s and would not part with it ...I like having a backup ..

Good luck

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:37 am

even thou I only have the one 'Wing, I like the idea of a back up and may very well look for one soon.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:41 am

The back up set needs to include the final drive , a driven flange and possibly the drive shaft ...all these parts have splines on them that wear and can cause failure . Find a set that has low miles ..and good non worn splines ...

The 88s and 89s will not work for a 90 and newer bike ..They were 6 pin and ours are 5 pin flanges and wheels ...

Refer to parts fiches for clarity . Try to know what you are buying before you spend the money .

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 am

I have a trike shop not too far away ( 100 miles ), so I will TRY to but my unit from him as he has been a good source of parts and information for me so far.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:47 am

If he has a selection of final drive parts let me know ...
I am seeking a good driven flange for my back unit ..
Thanks and good luck .

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:50 am

Here , great guys. . . I am guessing like most, he will have mostly 1800 stuff, but. . . .

http://www.renegadetrike.com/

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:28 pm

A few years back my 1999 had a problem that may be the same as you are experiencing.
At about 92,000 miles, the input splines to the final drive failed due to a lack of lubrication.
With the bike on your center stand or lift, engine NOT running, put the transmission in gear and attempt to rotate the wheel and tire assembly. The wheel and tire assembly should only move a small amount in either direction.
If it moves, and I think it will, you may find the input shaft to the final drive is worn out.
Remove the wheel and tire assembly and further inspect the final drive to wheel splines. If they are okay, you will need to remove the final drive and inspect the input splines of the drive and output shaft splines of the drive line.
This is what the drive line splines looked like:

This is what the input driven cup to the final drive looked like:

The easy fix it to find a replacement final drive and drive line.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

IBArider
2005 Honda Goldwing 1800

Postby IBArider » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:38 am

A follow up for all, M/C is fixed. Thank to all for your input & MikeB thank you for pictures. That is what was wrong and my shaft looked just like yours. Now more information please as I talked to the Honda mech. that works on my m/c & he said that he greeses the exposed gears when I get a tire changed (18000 to 20000 miles) and changes the Final Drive Assy. fluid (80wt.) But that the drive does not need to be taken apart (4 bolts) to lubricate. I do not understand this, what do the rest of you do?

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:50 am

I usually do not take apart the final drive to get at this cup/shaft assembly.
However I DID once at 85,000 miles when I had to get a newer final drive due to the driven flange splines being worn badly.
And 2 summers ago now my buddy also had the similar problem on the driven flange - and we replaced his cup/shaft due to excess wear at 100,000 miles + ..
I think it may be a good idea to Moly this as well when doing tire changes... :|

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:07 pm

IBArider wrote: But that the drive does not need to be taken apart (4 bolts) to lubricate. I do not understand this, what do the rest of you do?

Actually there are five bolts to remove including the lower right shock attachment bolt. A pretty simple process actually except you need to remove the right saddlebag for easy access.

There was an item published in the Honda Wrench (I think it is called) to Honda mechanics. It stated that the final drive should be removed and inspected for proper lubricant on the driven splines every 16,000 miles. I had a copy of this article but I can not find it now. At any rate, I have had mine off several times but have to admit, I do not do it religiously. It is easy enough to do when you remove the rear wheel for a tire change, but I always seem to be in a rush and skip that step.

Once you remove the final drive, there is a seal on the driveline that keeps lubricant in the area of the final drive driven coupler and around the driveline. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it. The seal part number is 91261-ME9-005 and it costs about $7.00. It is a 27x43x7 mm seal. You could probably get one from your local bearing house.

I would imagine every 30,000 miles would be more acceptable for removal and inspection.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:54 am

Glad you got your problem fixed. Here's a source of OEM parts that you might use in the future. They are waaaaayyyy cheaper than a Honda Stealer........ http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

Bill

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”