1500 headlights only go on when in reverse

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
glk17l
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A
1993 1500SE
1982 450CM
1974 360CL

1500 headlights only go on when in reverse

Postby glk17l » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 pm

I just bought a 1993 1500 SE, and I have a problem were the head light will only go on when the reverse lever is in the up (engaged) position. There is so much electronics on this bike, I think I like the simplicity of my 1982 1100 Aspencade better, LOL.
I am also getting a smell of gas fumes after the engine is shut, coming from the gas cap cover area. There are no gas leaks, or dripping or spills.
Any information would be great
Thanks, glk17l.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: 1500 headlights only go on when in reverse

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Not sure what to say on the headlight issue, sorry. I am sure someone will come along shortly with some ideas. . . .

As for the fuel smell, MORE than likely just fumes from the vent house on top of the gas cap, and nothing to worry about. You said no VISIBLE leaks, right ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

glk17l
1993 1500SE
1982 450CM
1974 360CL

Postby glk17l » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:28 am

Thank you,
Yes there are no leaks, no spills, no drips, nothing visible. There is a lot of pressure when you remove the gas cap. I don't know if this is normal for this model, I never had this on my older ('70's to 80's) Hondas. I am worried about any sparks or flames in the immediate area. There is a hose on the gas cap, and I checked it for wear, clogging, or kinking and it looks fine.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:11 am

If there is pressure as you say when opening the gas cap, your vent in clogged. When I had this issue, I was told to soak the cap in a fuel system cleaner such as Sea Foam over night ( completely submerged ) , and that took care of the pressurizing issue for me. I was getting HUGE vacuum build up, as the fuel level dropped and the vent did not let air in to fill the void, causing a lack of fuel/fuel starvation situation. I hope this helps.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:31 am

glk17l wrote:I just bought a 1993 1500 SE, and I have a problem were the head light will only go on when the reverse lever is in the up (engaged) position. There is so much electronics on this bike, I think I like the simplicity of my 1982 1100 Aspencade better, LOL.
I am also getting a smell of gas fumes after the engine is shut, coming from the gas cap cover area. There are no gas leaks, or dripping or spills.
Thanks, glk17l.

There is no readily explainable reason why the headlight would only come on when handle raised, time to start looking at the wiring harness for prior wiring repairs or improperly added wiring.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:48 am

glk17l wrote:Thank you,
Yes there are no leaks, no spills, no drips, nothing visible. There is a lot of pressure when you remove the gas cap. I don't know if this is normal for this model, I never had this on my older ('70's to 80's) Hondas. I am worried about any sparks or flames in the immediate area. There is a hose on the gas cap, and I checked it for wear, clogging, or kinking and it looks fine.

Perfectly normal and as designed for the fuel tank and cap to hold a slight pressure as fuel vapors expand when heated. With the bike encased in plastic fuel smells will appear to be coming from an open area such as under the gas door even though they might be at the carbs themselves.

A physical check of lines and carbs needs to be done to locate the source.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:29 pm

ct1500 wrote:Perfectly normal and as designed for the fuel tank and cap to hold a slight pressure as fuel vapors expand when heated. With the bike encased in plastic fuel smells will appear to be coming from an open area such as under the gas door even though they might be at the carbs themselves.

A physical check of lines and carbs needs to be done to locate the source.

Very good point. . . I did not think of that as cleaning the cap took care of my problem. . .

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:37 am

glk17l wrote:I just bought a 1993 1500 SE, and I have a problem were the head light will only go on when the reverse lever is in the up (engaged) position. There is so much electronics on this bike, I think I like the simplicity of my 1982 1100 Aspencade better, LOL.
Thanks, glk17l.

You might want to update your user profile, as it still says you have an 82 1100A. :)

The gas fumes after shutdown is from the heat-soaked engine heating the gas and air in the gas tank, which causes the air to expand, pressurizing the tank. It is designed to allow pressure to escape, so this escaping pressure results in fumes. You'll notice that the less gas there is in the tank (i.e. more air) the more fumes you smell. If the tank is full when you park, you won't notice the fumes at all, as there is little (or no) air to expand.

As for your headlight issue, this one is fairly simple. Your fuse 12 (head relay fuse, 5 amp) is blown. When in reverse, the power from fuse 9 is connected to the headlight relay, which allows it to turn on. Replace fuse 12 with a new 5 amp fuse, and it should fix your problem.

Reverse/headlight circuit
Reverse/headlight circuit

Headlight Relay Fuse
Headlight Relay Fuse

BikerBuck
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1978 GS 750

Postby BikerBuck » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Another problem I've run into on this is the starter button sticking half way in, not enough to spin the starter but far enough to cut out the headlamp. Check start button to see if you can pull out a bit, if so some wd-40, silicone or other light lubricant will usually correct the problem.

glk17l
1993 1500SE
1982 450CM
1974 360CL

Postby glk17l » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:08 pm

I want to thank everyone for their help. WingAdmin, it was the 5amp fuse that was blown. I replaced it and it works fine. It just took an hour to remove all the stuff to get access to the relay panel.
I also cleaned the gas cap with carb cleaner and the fumes have subsided. I didn't change my profile, because I still have the 1982 Aspencade 1100, along with the 1982 450CM, and the 1974 360CL.

I do have another question about the 1500. The previous owner installed a windshield that is a taller than stock one, and it seems to be swept back on a lower angle that some I have seen. Do to a back problem, the only way I can mount a bike is to swing my leg back, and over, like getting on a hoarse, and I keep hitting my face on the edge of the windshield. I was thinking of cutting it down, and after I took measurements, I concluded that it will still be in the way. I have seen the Euro style, but really can't afford it, and I don't know how it will effect the aerodynamics.
Is this do to the angle of the fairing on a '93, or is it the windshield?
I have also noticed that there are two different lengths on brake pedals form 88 to 2000, as seen on E-Bay. Which one fits the 1993?

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:09 am

You PROBABLY have a Tulsa Tall windshield, same as me. . . .

These windshields DO lean back more than the stock ones. It is not the bike. I do not like mine either as I do not like looking through the windshield in the rain, so I plan on getting mine cut down about 5 or 6 inches, just enough to look over it OR through it depending on my seating position. I am also not a fan of the fact these windshields do not adjust up and down like the stock one does.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:31 am

Uncle Fester wrote:You PROBABLY have a Tulsa Tall windshield, same as me. . . .

These windshields DO lean back more than the stock ones. It is not the bike. I do not like mine either as I do not like looking through the windshield in the rain, so I plan on getting mine cut down about 5 or 6 inches, just enough to look over it OR through it depending on my seating position. I am also not a fan of the fact these windshields do not adjust up and down like the stock one does.

I also have a Tall Tulsa, and I also whack my face (or my helmet, at least) on it occasionally when getting on or off. Because of the length of the thing, they have to use thicker plexiglass to support it. Because it is thicker, it can't slide up and down inside the fairing, meaning it can't be adjusted the normal way. However, it CAN be adjusted when the fairing garnish is removed - you loosen the screws as if you were going to remove the windshield, adjust it to the height you want, then tighten them back up.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:31 pm

I did not know that, unfortunatly mine is all the way down and I want it shorter still, so CUT it goes, some day ! lol

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”