RUNNING LITES OUT AND NO 12V GAGES

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TYHOLLY1
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE GOLDWING

RUNNING LITES OUT AND NO 12V GAGES

Postby TYHOLLY1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:45 pm

On a recent ride I all of the sudden got a "christmas tree" light flash and all my illuminated indicators blinked on the dash and then they went out. My speedo and tach still work but no dash 12v. Headlight and turns and brake work but none of my running lights are working either. Gotta be a relay or fuse but where should i start looking? I recently replaced the rear tire and while the saddlebag is off and ez to get to relays/fuses do I start there? Any help or direction would be awesome. I visibly checked fuses and none were blown. I might be looking in the wrong area. What links the dash 12v and the running lights?

Thanks for your input!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: RUNNING LITES OUT AND NO 12V GAGES

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:42 am

TYHOLLY1 wrote:On a recent ride I all of the sudden got a "christmas tree" light flash and all my illuminated indicators blinked on the dash and then they went out. My speedo and tach still work but no dash 12v. Headlight and turns and brake work but none of my running lights are working either. Gotta be a relay or fuse but where should i start looking? I recently replaced the rear tire and while the saddlebag is off and ez to get to relays/fuses do I start there? Any help or direction would be awesome. I visibly checked fuses and none were blown. I might be looking in the wrong area. What links the dash 12v and the running lights?

Thanks for your input!

Fuse 8 and relay 3 both run the dash lights AND the running lights. I would check the operation of both.

It sounds like you lost power for an instant, which caused the system to go into self-check mode (where it lights up all the warning lights on the dash when you first turn the key on), then died. For this reason I suspect the problem might be the relay more than the fuse.

Fuse and relay
Fuse and relay

TYHOLLY1
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE GOLDWING

Re: RUNNING LITES OUT AND NO 12V GAGES

Postby TYHOLLY1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Way to go on the relay call - I swapped with #2 and got my lites back - I'll get a relay and get my bags back on while the leaves are still turning. Thanks for the help!!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”