Time 4 timing belt?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Kerry n Cali
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade

Time 4 timing belt?

Postby Kerry n Cali » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:10 am

After receiving some great info here from a post earlier, I was told that I should change the timing belts on my 94 GL1500. I emailed the previous owner and he had no info on it ( he never did it). The bike has 63455 miles on it.
Is this something that needs to be done right away? How much money am I looking at? I saw the belts for about $140, how many paid hours am I looking at to get this done.

This is my 2nd post and I appreciate the knowledge given so freely and kind.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Time 4 timing belt?

Postby Happytrails » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:54 am

My bike had 28,000 miles when I bought it and I replace belts myself. Bought Gates belts from Amazon for around $35 for pair (gates makes the belts for Honda). Followed DIY guide here and it worked out good. Just took my time and checked everything several times. I take wild guess and say 4 hrs shop time at about $80/hr? I forget what my local dealer chargers for labors. For me bigger expense was I replace tensioners too. $70 per oem tensioner and needs 2 of them. Manual says dont need to do it until 100,000 miles but these bikes are old. And replace gasket around timing belt covers too. I forget what those cost.

Some shops wont work on bike older than 10 yrs. It sounds like Honda dealers will work on an 1800 but not 1500. Our bikes are maybe as old as some of the techs working in shops. If you take it someplace hopefully they worked on wings before.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

bohdan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Postby bohdan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:36 am

I did mine a couple of weeks ago. With the DIY articles on this site, you can't go wrong. The only difference I did is that I didn't take off the radiator hoses. Good luck.

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Postby 702scottc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:16 am

The timing belts are on the 1500 are really quite easy to replace, I replaced the belts on my 1100 5 times over the 10 years I owned it and the 1500 is much easier. Like the previous post stated, the Gates belts are readily available and inexpensive, I got mine thru a local Napa auto parts house. My 1990 Aspencade had 111,000 miles when I purchased it and the first thing I did was replace the belts, better safe than sorry. The tensioners where in good shape but if you can afford the extra then replace them. I should have when I had the covers off but was light on funds at the time. I doubt any Honda dealer will work on it, they get pretty picky. Do it yourself, it's easy. Follow the DIY article and you can't go wrong.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:18 am

Kerry n Cali wrote:After receiving some great info here from a post earlier, I was told that I should change the timing belts on my 94 GL1500. I emailed the previous owner and he had no info on it ( he never did it). The bike has 63455 miles on it.
Is this something that needs to be done right away? How much money am I looking at? I saw the belts for about $140, how many paid hours am I looking at to get this done.

This is my 2nd post and I appreciate the knowledge given so freely and kind.

Your timing belts are about at the mileage where I would replace them - but more importantly, they are 20 years old, so they definitely should be replaced.

You can replace them yourself for around $80 in parts and an afternoon of your time. As others have said, the 1500 is the easiest Wing on which to change belts. Have a read through the how-to article: How to remove and replace your timing belts

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:14 pm

My Wing, 1991 at 122K.
I changed the belts 2 years ago and "Believe it or not", I could still read almost the lettering. They were OEM and still looked new. Little to no wear on either side of the teeth nor were there cracks but they were changed anyway as long as I was there.
After R & R, I took those belts and bent them backwards to hear brittleness cracking or see micro-cracks, NONE. I was tempted to reverse them,... key word, WAS.
That's 22 years on those OEM belts. I'm not saying go that long, just saying they can run a long time as long as they're not cheap belts.

The belts are very easy to change. One trick to R & R them safely.
I've read several posts where the OEM markings are confusing, this helps solve that problem.

Before removing the old belts, mark the old belts L & R.
Mark a pulley tooth and its corresponding tooth on the belt. Do this to both belts and the 3 pulleys.
Take the new belts, mark them L & R and lay them on the old ones and transfer these marks to the new belts teeth.
COUNT the old and new belts marked teeth as a double check you're not one tooth off.
* Check no marks were rubbed off.
NOW remove the old belts. Even if a pulley moved a tooth or two, you know where the move it back to due to the belt tooth being marked.
Put on new belts.

This is literally a fail safe system, unless you rubbed off a marking. And if you did, you still have the old belt marks as reference to realign the pulleys and start over. Since you're tossing to old belts you could mark them permanently with a file scrape or knife notch.

I did it this way and it was a breeze.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:48 am

FM-USA wrote:Before removing the old belts, mark the old belts L & R.
Mark a pulley tooth and its corresponding tooth on the belt. Do this to both belts and the 3 pulleys.
Take the new belts, mark them L & R and lay them on the old ones and transfer these marks to the new belts teeth.
COUNT the old and new belts marked teeth as a double check you're not one tooth off.
NOW remove the old belts. Even if a pulley moved a tooth or two, you know where the move it back to due to the belt tooth being marked.
Put on new belts.

Good idea. It's an easy way to give you peace of mind knowing that the belts are definitely on correctly.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:31 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
FM-USA wrote:Before removing the old belts, mark the old belts L & R.
Put on new belts.

Good idea. It's an easy way to give you peace of mind knowing that the belts are definitely on correctly.

GLAD you like.

*IF* you're going to add this to the mechanic section be sure to add this,...
"This is literally a fail safe system, unless you rubbed off a marking. And if you did, you still have the old belt marks as reference to realign the pulleys and start over."

Like I posted, it's a double check system.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:57 pm

I had mine done at the dealer - there are some things I want to be certain my inexperience doesn't screw up.
I am a willing wrench turner- but I try to know my limitations.
To save money I removed all the plastic that needed to come off before taking the bike to them..
I did not like paying some service tech $110 per hour to remove plastic that I am better than they are at removing..

Then they did the belts and all was well...

105,000 miles and the old belts looked as good as new - but they are gone now and the new ones only have another 75,000 miles to their change out... ;)

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Ericson38
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Postby Ericson38 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:16 pm

The DIY articles on this site are the best. I didn't remove any coolant hoses though, and to get clearance needed to loop the belts off the crankshaft pulley, I only loosened the trigger module hold down bolts, I didn't remove them.

One of my belts (2000 model with 80k miles) was a bit loose, the other was farily tight. Running the engine without the belt cover, I could see that loose belt flop around at a high frequency at under 2000 rpm, and you could hear it in the intake manifold. After replacing the belts and the tensioners (one had a light roughness in the bearing), and using locktite on the threads of the tensioner and specified torque, the bike ran a slight bit smoother, and was, with a bit of a cam advance on the loose bank (compared to before the change), reved more freely to redline, which I do once per ride for a moment, depending on the situation and conditions.

As reported by others, the old belts looked perfect, but one had strecthed, for sure.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:39 am

It sounds like your bike has done a good amount of setting. I would take the time to change the coolant when you change the timing belts. Its easier to get them off if you remove the coolant hoses anyway.
Bill

Coyote1
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500

Postby Coyote1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:55 am

Have to agree that if you follow the instructions from the DIY page it is fairly easy. Just make sure the marks line up, adjust the tension and tighten the bolts. Removing all the plastic is half the battle. I just did a bike with 107,000. Belts looked good but were a little stiff and loose. Changed coolant, oil, filters, plugs and a bad thermo fan switch while at it. You could tell there was an improvement immediately.

The further I go the behinder I get.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”