GL1500 Accessory Lighting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Huntersbane
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

GL1500 Accessory Lighting

Postby Huntersbane » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:49 am

Hi All :?:

I have been trying to get hold of a Remote Controled Multi Flasher unit for my Accessory "Light Show" Lights (At the Moment - Static LED's)

1) Can anyone point me at a good site to get this.
Or
2) Anyone have one for sale.
Or
3) I do have a few "2" so I may have to link the others up with them but there is about 1000 led's Will that blow the controler? :o :o

Cheers

Huntersbane

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: GL1500 Accessory Lighting

Postby wingpilot08 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:29 am

try superbrightleds.com they have a bunch of LED items

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/rgb-led-controllers/
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:15 am

Your query doesn't specify whether you're looking for a controller to work multiple modes on a single color LED system, or a multiple color system. In either case,Joe Florida's controllers will handle 1,000 LEDs all day long.

You'll want this unit if you're running RGBs. It is also good for customizing HOW a single color system lights up its host...I've wired them such that each of the 3 legs lights a different area of the car or bike, the effects of the controller while it lights up any one leg, or these two legs, or those two, or all three...simultaneously, or fading from one leg to another, etc. etc. can be quite captivating.
http://www.joeflorida.com/multcolor-remote-control/

The single color controller will light up the entire system at the same time, there are no separate legs. Top left button turns them on, and the same button rotates the system through 3 levels of brightness. Top right button turns the system on to breathing...fading from full brightness to completely off and back and forth. The same button rotates the system through 3 speeds of fading. Bottom left button turns the system on to strobe, same button for 3 different speed patterns. Bottom right button turns the system off.
http://www.joeflorida.com/single-color-remote-control/
Keep the rubber side down.

Huntersbane

Postby Huntersbane » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:49 am

wingpilot96 wrote:try superbrightleds.com they have a bunch of LED items

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/rgb-led-controllers/

Thanks WingPilot96.

Had a look on the site and have a few ideas fromm that,

Thanks for your time. :P :P

Cheers

Huntersbane

Huntersbane

Postby Huntersbane » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:53 am

Sempai wrote:Your query doesn't specify whether you're looking for a controller to work multiple modes on a single color LED system, or a multiple color system. In either case,Joe Florida's controllers will handle 1,000 LEDs all day long.

You'll want this unit if you're running RGBs. It is also good for customizing HOW a single color system lights up its host...I've wired them such that each of the 3 legs lights a different area of the car or bike, the effects of the controller while it lights up any one leg, or these two legs, or those two, or all three...simultaneously, or fading from one leg to another, etc. etc. can be quite captivating.
http://www.joeflorida.com/multcolor-remote-control/

The single color controller will light up the entire system at the same time, there are no separate legs. Top left button turns them on, and the same button rotates the system through 3 levels of brightness. Top right button turns the system on to breathing...fading from full brightness to completely off and back and forth. The same button rotates the system through 3 speeds of fading. Bottom left button turns the system on to strobe, same button for 3 different speed patterns. Bottom right button turns the system off.
http://www.joeflorida.com/single-color-remote-control/

Thanks Sempai

Just what Im looking for.

As to your question, Actuly Both. single and Multi Colour LEDs

But if I can get two controllers then Its a Two Controllers, if I can get away with 1 with two legs even better.

Again thanks for your time.

I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Huntersbane. :P :P

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:06 am

Joe Florida only has the two controllers...the single color has only one leg the multicolor controller has 3 legs, and each leg has the capacity to control the R, the G, and the B LEDs in that leg. With some creative wiring each of the 3 legs can be wired the same as the other two (factory default,) or you could swap an R, G, or B wire around to make one leg a different color from the others, or perhaps a different color for each leg. This will take some experimenting because as you swap one primary color for another, the mixed colors will be quite different from one leg to the next. In the end, when all 3 colors are activated, all the LEDs will be white.
Keep the rubber side down.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:41 am

I've seen the Rollin' Eyes kits running at Cyclemax, and they're pretty cool. They can produce any color in any pattern, and you can create your own on your smart phone, uploading it to the controller on the bike.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:12 pm

I bought a Sylvania Osram "Mosaic" kit from Costco Canada a couple of months ago. Pretty amazing! Waterproof, flexible, 12 feet long (expandable to 20 feet), with a remote control. The lights have many, many patterns & colours they can do, and they're BRIGHT!! I originally bought them for mounting on the underside of my 'Wing, but in the end I wouldn't have got an opportunity to show them off very often. Instead, for the time being, they're mounted loosely in the V-berth of our boat. It has always been pretty dark in there, and with these lights turned to full bright, on white, it's like daylight in there. Great for reading. If I fire up some of the patterns and colours, it looks like a freakin' disco in there!!

I only paid around $29 CDN for the set, but the price varies wildly - you really have to shop around.

They come with a wall (mains) connector for 120V AC, but the wall connector puts out 12V DC to the system itself, so it's ideal for car/motorcycle/boat use. The remote control is small (about 2" X 3" X 1/4") & very handy. The packaging advises the set is for indoor use, but the strips etc. are waterproof. The mains plug (for 120V AC) appears to be the only non-weatherproof part of the system. A common, small cylindrical (tip positive) plug (I'm scavenging one from an old rechargeable flashlight) provides 12V DC into the working parts of the system. If I were mounting it on te underside of my bike, I'd probably squirt a little silicone on the strip-to-strip connections (even though they're gold-plated connections, I tend to err on the side of caution).

Here's a link to show the item: http://costcocouple.com/sylvania-mosaic ... light-kit/ (the kit is in the second photo down, Costco Canada product # 419493) and here's a link to a brief Youtube viedo (not mine) where you can see them in action:

The video doesn't really show how bright these are - IIRC, the output of the 12' strip is something like 1300 lumens

No doubt they can be found cheaper elsewhere. If I'm not mistaken, Sylvania/Osram products are common in Europe and the UK...

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”