Starter Relay Regulator heats up wires and bogs down engine

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
JRLewis
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade Trike

Starter Relay Regulator heats up wires and bogs down engine

Postby JRLewis » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Friends 2000 Gl1500 had a short in the license plate light wiring on a Lehman trike conversion. This killed the engine and it couldn't be started. He has someone look at it and it was discovered that the Starter Relay Regulator would prevent the engine from turning over when it was plugged in. Bought a new one but that didn't fix problem. I got the trike from him and it wouldn't turn over at all. Went through the trouble shooting section of the manual and found the reverse diode was bad. Replaced it and trike will start and move in reverse with the Starter Relay Reg. disconnected. If I try to connect the Reg. the engine will slow down like it's under load and the connector will heat up quickly and start to melt insulation off of one of the wires. Any ideas what's going on? Did the new Reg get ruined somehow. Did the original short cause a prob in wiring harness? What does the Reg. do? What happens if I run the trike without hooking it up? Appreciate any and all information.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”