exposing battery for charging


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
vmansquest
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 11:53 am
Location: tucson az, 85710
Motorcycle: 1986 interstate 1200

exposing battery for charging

Postby vmansquest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:38 am



I have a 1990 goldwing 1500 aspencade and my battery is close to dead and I would like to know the procedure to expose the battery so I can put it on charge



User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7647
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:22 pm

If you must remove the battery from the bike,always remove the negative post first then the positive one.Reverse for install.
Do check the electrolyte level.
Some chargers do not charge the battery when it's still hooked to the bike.Im in that situation now.
Using a Walmart smart float charger,it always shows a battery fault after a half hour or so.If I disconnect the ground cable,it charges fine.
A slow charge at less than 2 amp for 24 hours is best.
I plan on replacing my charger with the recommended "battery tender jr."

User avatar
wingpilot08
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Coatesville, PA
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby wingpilot08 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Pull off the right side cover and hook up....just that simple!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

User avatar
Sempai
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 am
Location: Wichita, KS
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby Sempai » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 am

Get yourself a nice Battery Tender, or Battery Tender Jr. Remove the right side cover, remove the seat, and open the fuel fill access door. Now thread the Tender's battery cable (bottom right portion of this image) from the battery, under the frame rail, over the gas tank, and under the console shelf into the area of the fuel filler neck. Attach the cable ends to your battery posts, reinstall side cover and seat.
Now when you need to charge the battery, you need only open the fuel fill access door and connect the Battery Tender to the battery cable which will reside nicely in the fuel fill space.
NOTE: Ensure the cable's connector is sitting to one side or the other of the fuel fill neck and also NOT under either of the door's hinges whenever you close the access door.
[/b]
Keep the rubber side down.

User avatar
SteveB123
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Winchester, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby SteveB123 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 am

Sempai wrote:you need only open the fuel fill access door and connect the Battery Tender to the battery cable


Frequently used electrical hookup next to the fuel filler?

Perhaps a different location would be better.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

User avatar
Sempai
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 am
Location: Wichita, KS
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby Sempai » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:35 am

Lol...Actually, I seldom use mine, because my bike and battery function well as designed.
If Battery Tender is not plugged into a wall outlet, then it will be void of any electrical energy and incapable of causing any spark which might ignite any fuel vapors that oughtn't be there anyway (if you've put your fuel filler cap back on properly.) Anyhow, if this is your concern, connect the cables' connectors first, then plug the Tender into an outlet.
I have seen several people that leave their batterybside tender cable dangling here or there, it leaves the system looking like an afterthought, that was never completed. The cable is easily strung out from behind the passenger portion of the seat, and stows just as easy in this area, though you risk the connector finding its way under the seat and out of reach ....right when you'd really like to have it!!
Last edited by Sempai on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the rubber side down.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm

SteveB123 wrote:
Sempai wrote:you need only open the fuel fill access door and connect the Battery Tender to the battery cable


Frequently used electrical hookup next to the fuel filler?

Perhaps a different location would be better.


I agree. The connector is quite capable of generating a spark every time it is plugged into the Battery Tender. Locating this right next to the fuel filler cap is a bad idea.

I threaded my connector up from the battery, and across to the left hand cubby (mounted on the front of the trunk). When I park in the garage, I open the left hand cubby door, pull the connector out, and plug it into the tender.

User avatar
Uncle Fester
Posts: 1003
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 pm
Location: Bethany, Ok, right off Route 66 !
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:32 pm

I was actually thinking of mounting the "BOX" for the battery tender inside the left hand cubby , much like W.A. , and hard wiring it (with disconnect under the seat) so I just pull out the power-cord and plug it in too. This way I have my tender, even on the road, so if I need it for some reason, it is there. . . .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Image

bo_mull
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 am
Location: Cleveland,TN.
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby bo_mull » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:17 pm

I ran my plug up beside the passenger seat. My wife uses the Battery tender USB adapter to charge her cell when riding.

User avatar
tandem54
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 am
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby tandem54 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:48 am

WingAdmin wrote:
SteveB123 wrote:
Sempai wrote:you need only open the fuel fill access door and connect the Battery Tender to the battery cable


Frequently used electrical hookup next to the fuel filler?

Perhaps a different location would be better.


I agree. The connector is quite capable of generating a spark every time it is plugged into the Battery Tender. Locating this right next to the fuel filler cap is a bad idea.

I threaded my connector up from the battery, and across to the left hand cubby (mounted on the front of the trunk). When I park in the garage, I open the left hand cubby door, pull the connector out, and plug it into the tender.


I have mine going under the seat and into the side pocket just like this, works really well. I made a little card that just says charger on it and I slip that into the space above my key by the display and that way I don't forget to unplug the cord (don't ask me how I know this LOL!) When I get ready to go I put this card in the cubby when I put the cord in.
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

amsoilguy
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Boise, Idaho
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby amsoilguy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Can the tender be used on AGM or sealed batteries?

When I park my bike for the winter, can I leave the tender on 24/7 or just periodically?
Allan

'88 GL1500

User avatar
Sempai
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 am
Location: Wichita, KS
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby Sempai » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:36 pm

amsoilguy wrote:Can the tender be used on AGM or sealed batteries?

When I park my bike for the winter, can I leave the tender on 24/7 or just periodically?

24/7 with no problems. Works on AGM's as well.
Keep the rubber side down.

Big Bob
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 am
Location: Rosemount, Minnesota
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby Big Bob » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Just thinking about this, I too have installed Battery Tender Jr. on my 1500 and my wife's VTX 1300, we live in MN bikes, are stored in a non insulated garage. I'm assuming it is still safe to leave batteries, tenders plugged in all winter even with temps in the garage getting to -10 more then once in our winters. that was the plan, how about some feed back, just seems so cold for batteries, wing has an AGM, VTX still has stock battery.

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
143,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:01 am

Big Bob wrote:Just thinking about this, I too have installed Battery Tender Jr. on my 1500 and my wife's VTX 1300, we live in MN bikes, are stored in a non insulated garage. I'm assuming it is still safe to leave batteries, tenders plugged in all winter even with temps in the garage getting to -10 more then once in our winters. that was the plan, how about some feed back, just seems so cold for batteries, wing has an AGM, VTX still has stock battery.

Bob


Not only is it safe, your batteries will last longer as a result. Uncharged batteries can freeze at higher temperatures - the more charge in a battery, the lower temperatures it will tolerate without freezing. So by keeping it on a tender all winter, the batteries will be kept in top shape, AND be protected from freezing. And by keeping them fully charged like this, they will last longer as well.

User avatar
Wingsconsin
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin (West of Milwaukee)
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black
Contact:

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:22 pm

I take my batteries out of the bike(s) each winter storage season and put them in the basement on my workbench attached to Battery Tenders. Admittedly this is a PIA ; but it works for me...

That way I do not worry about garage temps - the basement is always the same .

But if I KNEW it was okay to leave them in the bike (even advantageous) I would consider doing it for the 2 AGM's - the other is a conventional lead-acid battery ....
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.


Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:I take my batteries out of the bike(s) each winter storage season and put them in the basement on my workbench attached to Battery Tenders. Admittedly this is a PIA ; but it works for me...

That way I do not worry about garage temps - the basement is always the same .

But if I KNEW it was okay to leave them in the bike (even advantageous) I would consider doing it for the 2 AGM's - the other is a conventional lead-acid battery ....


I used to take my batteries out every winter. I gave up on this a few years ago and just left them on tenders all winter long. I've been using the same batteries ever since in all of my garage-stored things (motorcycles, generator) and they work like new.

User avatar
CWJ73
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 8:41 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby CWJ73 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:14 pm

How cold does it get in the winter where you are WingAmin? We typically get to -30c and can get to -40c when it is really cold. I'd rather keep my batteries in the garage hooked to a charger but i am concerned about freezing. Would they survive even at that temp?
Craig

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 am

CWJ73 wrote:How cold does it get in the winter where you are WingAmin? We typically get to -30c and can get to -40c when it is really cold. I'd rather keep my batteries in the garage hooked to a charger but i am concerned about freezing. Would they survive even at that temp?


A fully charged lead-acid battery freezes at -76F, or -59C. So as long as it is kept fully charged, it will not freeze. A fully discharged battery will freeze right at 32F (0C) - same as water, so as you can imagine, it does not take a whole lot of discharge to get to a point where it would freeze at -40C. A tender will keep it at full charge and prevent this.

User avatar
CWJ73
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 8:41 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Re: exposing battery for charging

Postby CWJ73 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm

WingAdmin wrote:A fully charged lead-acid battery freezes at -76F, or -59C. So as long as it is kept fully charged, it will not freeze. A fully discharged battery will freeze right at 32F (0C) - same as water, so as you can imagine, it does not take a whole lot of discharge to get to a point where it would freeze at -40C. A tender will keep it at full charge and prevent this.


Thanks. Known the temps helps me make that decision with confidence. I'll be adding 'build a battery bench' to my to do list before the winter and get an extra battery tender or two for my trailer batteries and other outdoor toys.


Craig


Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests