engine noise and repair

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
brw
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500
1982 gl1100 standard

engine noise and repair

Postby brw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Hello gents
I have hopefully a simple question.
My 88 gl has developed a knocking noise at idle, if it turns out to be a rod bearing, is it possible to split eng case to access bearings with out completely pulling apart and dislodging rings in cylinders. I was thinking maybe crank rotation to certain point would allow a small point of access to affected rod cap. hopefully someone has tried and will shed light on this.
Thanks Brad

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: engine noise and repair

Postby Fatwing Chris » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Short answer is no.The crank is bolted to one side,so when you split the case one side will stay intact and you will slide the case off of the the opposite side pistons.Have you tried syncing the carbs?An engine that is not running smooth can sound like it has a rod knock.Also excess carbon can cause a knock.A lot of people seem to like to baby/lug these bikes resulting in carbon build-up.Try doing an engine decarb.These engines are pretty robust and would have to be really badly abused to develope a real knock.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

brw
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500
1982 gl1100 standard

Re: engine noise and repair

Postby brw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:16 pm

hello
That's kinda what I thought but wanted to check if it could be done. decarb is done how, pouring carb cleaner through the throat or running in the gas. I have not sinced the carbs yet as this is a new to me bike and have been cleaning and fixing electrical systems as p/o let it get real bad and wired every light in he could find.
Thanks for the input tho
Brad

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”