problem #2

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

problem #2

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Okay, this one is easier, I think ! lol

Every since I bought this bike, it will only start in NEUTRAL. It does not care, side stand up or down, clutch in or out, I have to be in neutral to start the bike. I know the clutch switch is good as if I am going down the highway with the cruise engaged, squeezing the clutch shuts off the Cruise Control. . . . unless there are two switches in there ?

Either way, how do I get to it/them to spray then with contact cleaner ?

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

flyinrob
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 Aspencade

Re: problem #2

Postby flyinrob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Hey Uncle Fester.. There are two micro switches on the clutch lever. You should hear two very light clicks when you pull the clutch lever. One switch is the cruise cancel switch and the other one will allow you to pull in the clutch and start the bike in gear. I found with mine that the clutch lever was not making contact with the microswitch. I put some electrical tape on the part of the clutch lever that makes contact with the micro switch and sprayed some cleaner into the switch and that combination made the switch work. I can now start the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

That will probably work for you also.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:32 pm

cool, I will check that out in the AM ! So to get to them, just pull the pivot bolt and I am good or ? ? ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

flyinrob
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 Aspencade

Postby flyinrob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:36 pm

Yup, just have a close look at it. You can see how it all comes apart. You just want the clutch lever to make contact with both switches.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:25 pm

The switches are held in with their own screws, not the pivot bolt. The cruise disconnect switch you'll hear click as soon as the clutch lever starts its travel, and the starter interlock switch you'll hear click when the clutch lever is fully pulled in.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks WA, I just went out and gave it another listen, I hear the first click right away, no problem, but even all the way in (squeezed) and never hear anything else.

Do you have a picture of how these are installed so I have a better idea how to fix this.

maybe I will leave it, makes a good ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM . LOL

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:21 am

Have a good look at the clutch lever and its bushing. look at the bushing centered in this pic, as it wears, symptoms become worse and more plentiful. One of the symptoms is the failure to crank with clutch lever pulled in. You can see here that the pushrod has worn completely through the bushing AND pushed its way through the lever itself!! Image
Keep the rubber side down.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 am

What Sempai said, if you aren't hearing that second click, there's a good chance that the second switch isn't being depressed. See How to replace your clutch lever bushing for details on that.

Have a look under the lever when you pull it in, you can see one of the two switches on the left:

That's the switch we are interested in. Try pushing the plunger in (colored yellow below) with a flat-blade screwdriver. It should click - and this should also occur when the clutch lever is squeezed all the way in:

Switch plunger
Switch plunger

When that button is pushed in, the bike should allow you to start it in gear.

If you have thick, foamy grips that prevent the clutch lever from being fully squeezed, this can also cause this issue.

And lastly...you really need to get this fixed. It is a safety issue. Think about this: you're waiting to turn left at an intersection. You see your opportunity, you let the clutch out, start moving into the intersection, and accidentally stall the bike. Meanwhile, there's an 18-wheeler bearing down on you. What would you rather have to do in this situation:

- Pull the clutch in, hit the starter and get out of the way!

- Pull the clutch in, lift your left foot to the shifter, try to find the neutral detent, accidentally go into second, back to first, 18-wheeler is getting closer, still trying to find neutral, finally get it, start the bike, shift back into first, get out of the way!

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 am

One update, I did not know it, but it turns out I have chrome aftermarket levers. I did not know the stock levers where black. I am gonna look at everything closer after it warms up today as I do NOT have a nice warm garage to work in. . . . will update later.

Very good point WA !

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:49 am

And here's the starter interlock switch in an exploded parts diagram:

Starter Interlock Switch
Starter Interlock Switch