rhino liner idea

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

rhino liner idea

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:21 pm

I am thinking about rhino linering the lower body work on my 96 Aspencade, and wanted your thoughts on the idea. I would do it with BLACK rhino liner, in the area INSIDE the yellow square in the picture plus the belly pan.

I am thinking it would keep paint chips, bug guts, and other road debris damage down some.

**EDIT**
Picture is not showing on here, but if you click the little box, it opens up fine.
Attachments

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: rhino liner idea

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:25 am

I don't know anything about the product. Can it be applied over the factory coating, or do you have to take the parts down to the base material in order to apply the new coating? I've seen the stuff (or stuff like it) in the beds of pickup trucks, and it seems very durable... I also don't know if the roughness of the surface (maybe it can be applied more smoothly if wanted?) will add turbulence to the ride or if it would make no difference at all... it is definitely tougher than any commercially available product I've ever seen and should provide a lot of protection to the plastics.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:39 am

It can be added a bit smoother than you see in MOST truck beds, not paint smooth, but smoother. You have to scuff the existing surface, much like applying paint, but not down to bare metal.

As a side note, This product, and other brand names of similar products, are available in other colors besides black, a few companies even offer a fair "color match", not 100%, but close. So if someone else likes this idea, but wants it to look , more. . . . factory, that can be done too.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:26 am

I'd love to see the process documented in photos, if you have the time and think of it.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:31 am

it will be after tax season, but the more i read up on it, the more I like the idea....
it is becoming common for the 4x4 crowd to do the whole truck, jeep or _________ with this stuff for rock chip and trail damage protection.

If/when I do this, I will get all the pics I can.

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 pm

I would be concerned with the product's compatibility with heat. The area in question gets pretty warm and I wonder if it would melt and run....or worse.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:23 pm

baumedagn wrote:I would be concerned with the product's compatibility with heat. The area in question gets pretty warm and I wonder if it would melt and run....or worse.

Yup, the one piece in the middle is intended as a shield for the exhaust, and it is less than an inch away from it.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:28 pm

I don't know how temperature resistant the rhino liner is, but if the goal is to coat plastic, I'd think that if the plastic can with stand the temperatures near the exhaust that the rhino liner would be at least as tough or temperature resistant as the plastic?

I don't know what the product is rated for, as far as temperature, but the original plastic can't be but so tough.

baumedagn wrote:I would be concerned with the product's compatibility with heat. The area in question gets pretty warm and I wonder if it would melt and run....or worse.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:33 pm

I think those parts in question are metal, I guess I better go look, and ask my Rhino dealer too. . .

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:42 am

Most of those parts are metal. Except for the front cowling. I wonder how much weight it will add to the bike. ???
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:39 am

I stand corrected... The coating for an area like that probably won't be more than 2 pounds.. my guess would be less than a pound (dry)... I do not know how temperature resistant it is, but the manufacturer will be able to say... it gets pretty darn hot in the bed of a pick-up truck in direct sun... not 100's of degrees of course.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”