Foot Brake

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Foot Brake

Postby guitarzan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:51 pm

I have a question, when I step on my break peddle my break lights don't light up, but when I squeeze my hand break, the break lights come on. Is that the way its suppose to work?

Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Foot Brake

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:22 pm

guitarzan wrote:I have a question, when I step on my break peddle my break lights don't light up, but when I squeeze my hand break, the break lights come on. Is that the way its suppose to work?

Thanks

Definitely not. You may have a problem with the rear brake switch. Remove the right side cover and you can find it - it's connected to the rear brake lever by a spring:

Rear Brake Switch
Rear Brake Switch

Disconnect the connector to it, turn the bike on, and short the two terminals in the connector together. If the brake light lights up, then your switch is bad. If it doesn't, then you've got another issue.

guitarzan

Postby guitarzan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Man, I just love you guys. I'm 63 yrs old and my first bike was a 48 pan head hard tail chopper that I purchased in 1971 when I got back from Vietnam. My next bike was a Suzuki 750 and the last time I rode was in 1987 and I just purchased this 1994 Goldwing SE with 35,000 miles on it and its in good shape. The bike belonged to the step father of the guy I purchased it from who had passed away and I need to get everything checked out. I know the guy I purchased from didn't ride it, so its been setting for awhile. I'm sure you guys will getting a few weird questions from me from time to time. Thank you for all the help.

Frank

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Welcome GuitarZan, from the deep deep south. Make sure you carry out the standard (to those in the know) maintenance before starting it. You must attend to the timing belts, change all of the fluids, check the age of the tyres, and make sure the battery is strong and the electrics are being charged correctly. There are lots of "how to" items on this site, and it is generally accepted, at least by me, that "Dumb questions are easier to fix than dumb mistakes." As you live in the cooler part of the 48, you may have some time on your hands to get the GW up-to-speed and ready for the Spring - when the snow, salt, and sand are no longer applied to your roads. Besides, you will get to learn how to marvel at the engineering of these machines, and wonder why they made some of the good and bad decisions by Honda.

Get it right, and then ride it.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

guitarzan

Postby guitarzan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:21 pm

I just wondering if I should take it into a shop. I have a garage that's not heated at all. I do want to thank you for the response. This is a big bike to jump on, after so many years. lol I love to ride tho!

Thanks
Frank

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 am

Hi frank. Only you can decide if you should take it into a shop. Taking your time and following guides you should find things easy. Thing with the 1500 like when I first bought mine over 20 years ago was the taking it apart to do anything, but once you have done it, you will quickly get used to it, and get pleasure and satisfaction out of doing it yourself. My garage is unheated, I usually work on my bikes and cars until the end of November. Then it gets too cold to enjoy working comfortably. My advice is to do one job at a time, even if it means removing the same fairing part you replaced after doing the last job, unless you are happy with body panels removed for days or even weeks and wondering if you will remember where all the bits and screws etc go, if you decide to do all the little jobs at the same time.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:42 am

Two things I would purchase:
1. A small heater, just to keep you a bit warmer;
2. A digital camera. This is so that you can take photos of what it looks like as you disrobe your GW, and so that you can remember where everything went. The "digital images" dont cost much, once you have a camera, so take lots of photos. If you get the right camera, you can even take a movie of what you are doing.

You might even post a photo or two here so that we know how much of an ordeal it was :D . You will understand and work better once you have done all the maintenance, and that gives you more confidence to throw your leg over. Treat it right, and it will treat you right!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
1988 NX 650

Postby Snowmoer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Before pulling the wires off like the Wing Admin talked about, just grab the switch and pull it up with the key on. If the lights come on, then you need to adjust the switch up a little until they come on when you push down on the foot brake. To do this, just turn the plastic ring that is on the switch until it is adjusted to where you want it. Quick and easy check.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:36 pm

I had to adjust the switch on my bike, it would turn on the brake lights, but I had to push it WAY down before it would. . . . I adjusted it a little "tighter" than some might like, just takes a light touch now, like you would do at a slow parking lot speed.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Had a similar problem with mine a while back. Those switches are made with a plunger that rides between contacts. The parts can get worn, making adjustment really hard, or impossible. I wound up disassembling the switch and cleaning and greasing the internal parts, but the worn parts just didn't play nice. I was able to rotate the plunger, and get it to make contact on 'new' surface area, but I wasn't happy about that. It is still working, but in the mean time, I bought a new switch to replace it, next time it acts up. I would just buy a new switch in advance, if you're not planning on riding for a while, then change it out first time around. It's a little tricky to get the spring off of the switch, doable, but tricky.

This is for a 97. I'm guessing they're all the same. Part #4

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

guitarzan

Postby guitarzan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 pm

At the end of the Owners Manual there is a "The Gold Wing Service Manual/Electrical Troubleshooting Manual" , Is this what I need to be able to do my own repairs and what not? Honda part number: 61MAF00-AH I just want to make sure I get the right Manual. Thank you.

Frank

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Printed Service Manual and Electrical are here (I prefer printed) >>>>>>

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.as ... itemtype=N

1994 Service Online here (very slow download)>>>>

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pdffiles/H ... -6051B.pdf

1993 Electrical Online here (slow download)

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pdffiles/H ... -6051B.pdf

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 am

I actually prefer the electronic version - reason being: much easier to find what you are looking for (just do a search for the text you want), and when I am doing work on a specific area, I just print out the pages from that section. That way I don't get greasy fingerprints all over my expensive manual, and when I'm done, I can just throw away the printed pages.

Bluewaterhooker0

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:09 pm

I actually use both. I find it faster to locate and sift through the info I'm looking for, with a printed version. Then I can take a tablet or laptop to the bike for reference to the actual pages I'm using. It's easy to find the correct pages after you know where they are located. Plus, I can also switch over to this website and others for additional reference.

guitarzan

Postby guitarzan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Thank you all so much. I have downloaded the files onto a flash drive and I ordered the book too. Thanks again

Frank

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

guitarzan

Postby guitarzan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Wingsconsin, thank you so much for the video. When I was in the Marine Corps stationed at Camp Pendleton (1970) a fellow machine gunner named Ed Sellers and I would sing this song all the time, it was our favorite. Thanks again for the memories.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”