Bi-polar GL 1500 Clock (1997)

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
markfeather
Motorcycle: 1997 Wing

Bi-polar GL 1500 Clock (1997)

Postby markfeather » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:26 am

Hello everyone, I own a 1997 GL-1500 and new to the Wing side of things. My clock has quite the mind of it's own and you can set it and for about five minutes it is OK and then it is all over the place. Any thoughts or past history?

Thanks,

Mark

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: Bi-polar GL 1500 Clock (1997)

Postby wingpilot08 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:50 am

Unfortunately you will find that the clock on the 96-98 Wings all seem to have some issues with the clock or LED display...not sure who to blame it on, but there is not much to do about it. On my 96SE, if the humidity is high, my LCD display will disappear until the condensation dries out and then it will reset. There is a "fix" the requires removing the dash, removing the LCD from the dash, then cleaning and reselling the circuit board of the LCD unit....and after all that, it may or may not fix the issue. I tried the fix and it appeared to help, but with extreme conditions...it still occurs. Best to ignore the problem and just reset the clock.
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:29 am

A friend and I both had 96 wings. The clocks on both bikes would run really fast on damp mornings until we rode long enough, about half an hour or so, for them to dry out. I would then reset it and it would be good for the rest of the day.

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Big Bob » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:12 pm

I have a '96 Aspencade, and I have a very fast clock when the humidity is high, I try to ignore it but it has got worse. I try not to let it bug me nut....! After seeing the results not being to promising, I've decided to let it be!

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
143,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:56 am

My '96 has the problem as well - Same symptoms as everyone has discussed..
I tried the "fix" last year ..It fixed it ..for about a week...
Mine usually goes blank (LCD readout) for a while when it is having trouble -or the clock is crazy...
The Blank is an issue because the rear shock air filler/readout will not work when it is blank
And the Low Fuel light will not come on when it is blank either...

SO - Knowing these things - I simple monitor the bike closely ...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:My '96 has the problem as well - Same symptoms as everyone has discussed..
Mine usually goes blank (LCD readout) for a while when it is having trouble -or the clock is crazy...
The Blank is an issue because the rear shock air filler/readout will not work when it is blank

I think your problem might be a bit different. The fact that your low fuel light is also affected is why I think this: I suspect you have a poor connection/connector somewhere that is limiting the voltage getting to the instrument panel. With the low voltage, the LCD doesn't have sufficient voltage to display properly. The low fuel light uses a thermistor that limits voltage based on the temperature of the fuel. When the fuel gets below the thermistor, it doesn't cool it as much, and it allows more power to flow, which lights up the light. If the voltage is limited already, there won't be enough to light it up at all.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:19 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Wingsconsin wrote:My '96 has the problem as well - Same symptoms as everyone has discussed..

I think your problem might be a bit different. The fact that your low fuel light is also affected is why I think this: I suspect you have a poor connection/connector somewhere that is limiting the voltage getting to the instrument panel. With the low voltage, the LCD doesn't have sufficient voltage to display properly. The low fuel light uses a thermistor that limits voltage based on the temperature of the fuel. When the fuel gets below the thermistor, it doesn't cool it as much, and it allows more power to flow, which lights up the light. If the voltage is limited already, there won't be enough to light it up at all.

But when the conditions are DRY the thing works perfectly ..? Would this only affect it when wet (humid) .
Chasing electrical faults is my weakest area of experience -- :?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:

But when the conditions are DRY the thing works perfectly ..? Would this only affect it when wet (humid) .

Could be a short? Or corrosion that swells with humidity, causing a bad connection? I would measure the bus voltage on the dash when the LCD is blank, and compare it to battery voltage. If there is a significant difference, I'd start searching for the cause.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:25 pm

[/quote]

Could be a short? Or corrosion that swells with humidity, causing a bad connection? I would measure the bus voltage on the dash when the LCD is blank, and compare it to battery voltage. If there is a significant difference, I'd start searching for the cause.[/quote]

Another Spring time addition to the "to do" list ... :roll: :mrgreen:

firey1
Motorcycle: 2008 1800 abs model

Postby firey1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:53 pm

I did the fix of stripping down and cleaning and re coating the circuit board for the lcd as was losing the lcd when wet and clock playing up since i had done this i have had no issues at all with either and also sprayed the connectors with electro clean

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”