Need Windshield Help

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Need Windshield Help

Postby jtornese » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:55 am

I bought a used 1993 Gl1500 and hit my face on the windshield every time I mount up! The shield needs replaced so it is not worth cutting it down, but it seems that the extremely swept back angle is based on the angle of the fairing it mounts to. My question is: Does anyone know of a windshield that curves does not follow this swept back angle? What are some recommendations for replacement shields that you like?

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Need Windshield Help

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:27 pm

All screens pretty much follow the same angle from the mount, my guess is a combination of screen is tall, you are tall, you lean forward too far when getting your leg over, two of these need alteration. How high is your screen from the garnish rubber to the tip?, can you see any of the road ahead over the top of the screen?, how tall are you?.
I always have faced the seat when mounting, I twist my body when my leg is over, I never could **** my leg over a Wing the same way as any other bike, even without a driver backrest I would bang my head on the screen also.

Or practice this
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:07 pm

I am betting you have a TULSA TALL or some other such windscreen, same as me. I HATE mine and will be replacing it ASAP with a standard height and angle windscreen

Just for FYI, I am 6'2" tall and smack my face too if not careful ! LOL

Also, mine, for some reason, I have to push my bars into the screen, scratching it , to get to the bar lock position. . . ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 am

Uncle Fester wrote:I am betting you have a TULSA TALL or some other such windscreen, same as me. I HATE mine and will be replacing it ASAP with a standard height and angle windscreen

Just for FYI, I am 6'2" tall and smack my face too if not careful ! LOL

Also, mine, for some reason, I have to push my bars into the screen, scratching it , to get to the bar lock position. . . ?

Right. The Tall Tulsa windshield is the one known for hitting people in the face when getting on and off the bike. It also gets scratched by the brake/clutch reservoirs hitting it when the handlebars are at full travel in either direction. More than likely that's what he's got on his bike.

My bike also has a Tall Tulsa on it:

jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby jtornese » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Mine DOES interfere with full turning of the bars!!!! I Know I will get a shorter shield obviously, but I was wondering if any had a bit of a "curve up" so as to have a more "upright" profile. I am interested however to hear what people like before I pick a replacement. I have read a few reviews of the F4 and people loved it, ..... at first! Other reviews said that the coating comes off in 1 to 2 years!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:10 am

Have a read through this thread, which addresses this exactly: Windshield question

Basically, taller and wider means less buffeting. With the Tall Tulsa and Baker Hand Wings on my bike, the rear seat passenger receives very little buffeting. The trade-off is that there is very little air movement for the front seat rider, and in the summer this can get extremely hot.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:16 am

Have not read the link yet, but will. . . . but this is exactly why I am thinking of TWO wind screens, keeping my Tulsa +4 for winter, with minor mods and a stock height ( Memphis Shades maybe ) for summer. . . about 80-90% of my riding is solo, so not AS worried about her during the summer.
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:43 am

I just bought the Slipstreamer Tulsa model windshield for my 93, I am in Alaska where the hottest days rarely get over 75f, roads year round are full of flying hazards as we have very few divided highways up here, I am 5'10" and I just got through molding my seat with 2" of memory foam. Granted it will compress a lot but the windshield was on sale on ebay new and is being shipped right now, when I get to ride again say next April I will do a review of it.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Here you go, tall & short in 1 shield
http://www.baggershield.com/

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”