Need help with Aux input on 1997 radio

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
yatyas41
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Goldwing Trike

Need help with Aux input on 1997 radio

Postby yatyas41 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Hey, Hope someone can assist me with this mod. Trying to get Nav and MP3 music in the trike I just bought. Have heard allot about this mod and decided to try it. DIDN'T WORK...can hear music from galaxy s4 Pandora but it is broken up badly then quits playing. I wanted to see if the deck worked at all so I put a tape in with music on it and only heard the right side speaker playing. Did the mod I did screw it up?
Have good insulated wire and need some info on this. Does anyone have picture of 1997 1500a radio mother board with ground, left and right channels marked on it? Also when you cut the end of the wire there are four wires. White and ground, and black and ground. My question is when soldering the wires too the board should the two ground wires from left and right channels be twisted together and soldered to the grnd point on the board?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Need help with Aux input on 1997 radio

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:57 am

yatyas41 wrote:Hey, Hope someone can assist me with this mod. Trying to get Nav and MP3 music in the trike I just bought. Have heard allot about this mod and decided to try it. DIDN'T WORK...can hear music from galaxy s4 Pandora but it is broken up badly then quits playing. I wanted to see if the deck worked at all so I put a tape in with music on it and only heard the right side speaker playing. Did the mod I did screw it up?
Have good insulated wire and need some info on this. Does anyone have picture of 1997 1500a radio mother board with ground, left and right channels marked on it? Also when you cut the end of the wire there are four wires. White and ground, and black and ground. My question is when soldering the wires too the board should the two ground wires from left and right channels be twisted together and soldered to the grnd point on the board?

I don't know what wires you were cutting and soldering - the AUX in mod I did on mine involved cutting the leads of two coupling electrolytic capacitors and intercepting the audio signal on them. When you want regular radio, you used a switch to reconnect them as they were. When you wanted AUX in, you switched it so the radio signal was disconnected from the capacitors, and instead you fed your new audio signal in its place.

For all inputs connected to the AUX in, you should probably have a ground loop isolator - and if the device providing the signal is also being powered by the bike (rather than battery powered) then you definitely need a ground loop isolator, or else you'll end up with noise and enough possible DC bias that you could damage the radio. You can buy ground loop isolators anywhere, when I did my installation, I built my own and installed them inside the radio.

yatyas41
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Goldwing Trike

Postby yatyas41 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:03 pm

check out this post from tjernangel. I was refering to this mod

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7974

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:23 pm

I have Garmin 755 and it has a built in FM modulator. It plays MP3's with a SD card. There are several Garmin units that do this. Put you radio on an unused FM station and the Garmin music and directions will over the radio and into your headset.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:32 am

joeincalif wrote:I have Garmin 755 and it has a built in FM modulator. It plays MP3's with a SD card. There are several Garmin units that do this. Put you radio on an unused FM station and the Garmin music and directions will over the radio and into your headset.

It has an FM transmitter. A modulator is wired and usually has better sound quality.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:00 am

Sorry, that is what I meant to say. MY BAD!!!!!!!!!
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

OmegaTech
Motorcycle: GL1500SE 1997

Postby OmegaTech » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:04 pm

Guys,

The mod does not work on the later radios as the video is of an earlier radio unit. It is simple to see the later models They have more switches on the top facia (I know I tried it), got wobbly legs after that. Realising that she is now close to 18years old its not worth the hassle.

I have now purchased a Bluetooth/FM modulator from Amazon, Once its connected into the Arial system and powered up, Pair it to my phone and SATNAV, tune it to a selected radio channel and store it. I will then get everything via Bluetooth through the systems.

Ian

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:22 pm

OmegaTech wrote:Guys,

The mod does not work on the later radios as the video is of an earlier radio unit. It is simple to see the later models They have more switches on the top facia (I know I tried it), got wobbly legs after that. Realising that she is now close to 18years old its not worth the hassle.

Sure the aux mod works on later model units. I've done it. It's fairly easy and the best input quality you're going to get. I soldered to the back of the board instead of cutting the legs of the capacitors so I have to use use the dummy tape trick. Next time I have the top shelter off I'm going to try unplugging the cassette connector as in this post http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5316&start=50#p139686

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”