1997 GL1500 radio part needed

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
yatyas41
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Goldwing Trike

1997 GL1500 radio part needed

Postby yatyas41 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:51 pm

Can anyone help me out. Disassembled the radio and found a small circuit board on the tape unit has a small harness and the wires are pulled out that are supposed to plug in the main board. The part number is RJB1514A for the board. The little wiring harness is soldered to the board and is plugged in around the backside to the main board. I really need this part are info on how to get a new one.
Semper Fi, Woody

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1997 GL1500 radio part needed

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 am

yatyas41 wrote:Can anyone help me out. Disassembled the radio and found a small circuit board on the tape unit has a small harness and the wires are pulled out that are supposed to plug in the main board. The part number is RJB1514A for the board. The little wiring harness is soldered to the board and is plugged in around the backside to the main board. I really need this part are info on how to get a new one.
Semper Fi, Woody

There aren't going to be parts available to replace internally inside the radio - that said, it's more than possible it can be repaired. Any chance you can post a picture, so we can get a better idea of what you're working with?

If it's something a little more than you're willing to try, Sierra Electronics will normally fix these radios for a $100 flat fee.

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:51 am

Ouch, last winter I was taking my 95 radio apart to upgrade to led bulbs, ripped apart the ribbon connection, never could get it back together, I tossed the radio in my junk box and got another, then I did the led mod.
This winter I am building a custom 93 tribute bike, was about to take radio and do the led thing when I just got fed up with having that antiquated overweight near useless piece of archaic electronic sound device on my bike and TOSSED it in the spare parts tub.

Installed a touchscreen radio instead.
Attachments
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:34 pm

silverado6x6 wrote:Ouch, last winter I was taking my 95 radio apart to upgrade to led bulbs, ripped apart the ribbon connection, never could get it back together, I tossed the radio in my junk box and got another, then I did the led mod.
This winter I am building a custom 93 tribute bike, was about to take radio and do the led thing when I just got fed up with having that antiquated overweight near useless piece of archaic electronic sound device on my bike and TOSSED it in the spare parts tub.
Installed a touchscreen radio instead.

Apologies , but must high jack for a min. . .

How well does that set up work for you, how did you do it, and do you have any pics of the work you did to do this mod ? What about water/weather protection ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:50 am

My apologies to the original poster, the radio was just put in less than two weeks ago, I do have some dialog about the installation but not so much in detail, in short it's a Milion D2107 from China, cost me about $ 104, it's a simple touchscreen, bluetooth, audio and video available in and out, rear camera, usb, micro SD. It had a dvd player but I removed it, the side, top and end panels, angled the front panel which just fit in the gl1500 radio opening, made some straps to secure the bottom plate, made a new heat sink, wired a reverse camera with lights to it.
It's still being worked on, more than likely my weather hood will be just a piece of clear vinyl with velcro, I never ride in the rain if I can avoid it here in Alaska. So it's still a work in progress, bike cannot leave the house until at least April or later, my goal is to have it in the spring bike show, so if nothing else it's for "show". It's a tribute bike for a departed dear friend and partner, Mollie Ragonesi.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 am

I have MANY more questions about your install, but out of respect for the OP, I will PM you with my questions. . . . I again apologize for the highjack. . . :oops:
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

yatyas41
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Goldwing Trike

Postby yatyas41 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:23 am

Thanks for the info, I'm to pissed at myself right now to even look at the radio. I repaired the little harness and put the radio back together only to hear a crack coming from the small circuit board next to the connectors on the end. Now I don't have anything coming from it. This is funny as hell. One step forward, two steps back.
Semper Fi, Woody

silverado6x6

Postby silverado6x6 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:04 am

I share your frustration about this, last winter I spent all the time taking my 95 radio apart just to install led lights, and after it was done I had the separate parts leaning up and when I picked the unit up the upper slipped and just ripped out that ribbon strip, I could not get it back together no way, I managed to get another radio I had bought with a lot of parts, it had been wet, knobs frozen, but I got it cleaned up and working on the 95.
Hopefully someone will have a drop in updated radio unit, I could do it if I had my shop up and running but that won't be for a while yet and it will be in Australia. I already have the idea, the concept, take out the stock unit drop in the filler plate with special mounting for something modern.
Possibly a computer repair shop can repair the ribbon strip.

craigtech
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby craigtech » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 pm

The cassette mech control/plunger cable in the corner of the main pcb does NOT need to be plugged in. It only supplies power to the cassette electronics and a high/low back to signal whether there is a tape in. If you disconnect this, then the audio unit thinks there is a tape in there all the time. If you want to listen to your AUX input then all you do is hit the button - the LCD changes to a "tape" picture and sound is switched normally on the main pcb.

:) Craig

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”