Stereo Ideas

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Stereo Ideas

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:40 pm

I am going to change out the stereo on my 1996 GL1500A, tired of a radio that only works in the towns ( lousy reception ) , has a busted CASSETTE ( who has cassettes any more anyway? ) and does not offer a input for a MP3 player or Sat radio, a USB / SD Card input for music files on a thumb-drive, or the option for Bluetooth.

so I have looked at MANY different ideas, and will list them. . . . what are your thoughts on these ? Do you have a idea to offer I missed ?

1) send my stock radio to Sierra Electronics for repair and add a AUX input, LED lighting, and repair the cassette

2) replace my stock stereo with a NEW Car / Marine stereo by removing the face, mounting it where the radio would go and divorce mounting the body / works in the trunk, saddle bag or ______ . This option gives me MANY input choices to choose from, USB, CG, SD Card, AM/FM, AUX Input,ect ect ect.

3) use a I-Pod, feed it straight to a amplifier, then to the speakers, string the I-Pod in one of the two storage pockets on the fairing, or in a gas door mounted pouch. This option gives me MP3 and FM Radio depending on the I-Pod I use.

4) Use one of the 3" round "Gauge Mount" stereos currently being offered by the marine industry. This offers me AM/FM, MP3 Player input, and USB.

5) or my final option, use a Kicker PXi50.2 I-Pod controller with Aux input. This allows me to control my i-pod, charge my I-pod as well as has a Aux input for my Sat radio or _____ , ( http://www.kicker.com/pxi502 ) plus has a 50x2 amp to power my speakers. Also the control panel is small in size, so I can fit it a lot of different places, it is ABOUT the size of the CB radio face on our 1500s.

Did any one use a option I did not list here ? What was /is it ?

I am leaning towards option #5 for my bike.I do not use the intercom, I do not listen to AM /FM much ( too many commercials ), my I-Pod holds up to 80 gig of music and videos / movies, and I have only turned on my CB a few times in the year I have owned the bike so I am thinking #5 is my best option. . .

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stereo Ideas

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:58 am

That Kicker product looks interesting - plus it has big buttons on it, that would be easy to work with gloved hands.

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Stereo Ideas

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:02 pm

yeah, it is my #1 choice so far. :D
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”