LOCKED OUT!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
shadow02
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500

LOCKED OUT!

Postby shadow02 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 pm

My fellow WingNuts, you have been extremely helpful with your advise for my past questions that I now come to you with yet another. This one I have had since I purchased this 1988 GL 1500 Wing, and one that I have tried to remedy following the DYI articles listed on this site but to no avail. I cannot get my trunk to open for love or money!
I tried the coat hanger bent to the specifics listed in the article, felt and pulled on the release bar, hooked the lock release and the end result was the same ... zip! The manual said that should open with the key alone ... no such luck. The center actuator does not work, I have the little spring and I assume this is one of the reasons. It fell out while I was trying to hook the release bar. The right bag release does not work either my guess is for the same reason. So before I get involved with my favorite locksmith are there any suggestions on how to remedy this dilemma?
Thanks again
Ride safe- :D

Last edited by shadow02 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: LOCKED OUT!

Postby harvey01 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 pm

I am sure someone wiser than me will have a solution. But I do think it would be helpful if you noted the year of the Gold Wing.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:04 pm

harvey01 wrote:I am sure someone wiser than me will have a solution. But I do think it would be helpful if you noted the year of the Gold Wing.

1988 ;)

Ya know, I would be the one to break something, but once someone wiser than me and harvey01 tell you how, there is a thread on being able to create another way to open the bags.

I will go searching.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:18 am

I would try the coat-hanger hook release procedure again, only press down on the trunk lid first, then pull the release, then let up on the trunk lid and see if it comes unlatched. It's puzzling, as when you pull that release bar, the latches are pulled free of the trunk lid, it should be free to open at that point.

As for the bags, there is a release to open them, however the release is inside the trunk. From the owner's manual:

Saddlebag Emergency Release
Saddlebag Emergency Release

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 am

when ever I open the trunk either with the key turning to the left of using the release tab under the trunk I press down slightly on the trunk lid. This takesw some pressure off the release for easier operation
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

shadow02

Postby shadow02 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Well gang, I know I am probably making this much harder then it really is. The DYI articles are very specific. We have until Wednesday afternoon to try again and then I am going to concede to the old friendly locksmith. Are there DYI articles referencing the actuator repair?
Thanks again
Ride safe-

celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby celford30 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:02 pm

First question are you locked out or the release is failing to operate and does this go for the side bag release also? Next is your lid closed without any gaps? If you can pry your lid up (be careful) on your trunk you will have access to three screws that hold the back plate covering your security bar. Once loose it should give your a little more access to the center screw and if the plate has room to fall away you may be able to repeat the coat hanger maneuver. This is very touchy because you don't want to break your trunk lid. I believe others have already pointed out that the side trunks have a release inside the trunk so once you're in; the side bags are no problem. Once you're in you might want to create (fabricate) a cable release before you put everything back together just in case you need make other adjustments after closing. Lockout been there HATED IT :twisted:

k1w1t1m
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate. 105,000miles and still going strong.(sold)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (possibly for sale soon)
1997 Gl1500 SE in pearl sapphire black.

Postby k1w1t1m » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:07 pm

celford30 wrote:First question are you locked out or the release is failing to operate and does this go for the side bag release also? Next is your lid closed without any gaps? If you can pry your lid up (be careful) on your trunk you will have access to three screws that hold the back plate covering your security bar. Once loose it should give your a little more access to the center screw and if the plate has room to fall away you may be able to repeat the coat hanger maneuver. This is very touchy because you don't want to break your trunk lid. I believe others have already pointed out that the side trunks have a release inside the trunk so once you're in; the side bags are no problem. Once you're in you might want to create (fabricate) a cable release before you put everything back together just in case you need make other adjustments after closing. Lockout been there HATED IT :twisted:

I think you have forgotten the three screws on the inside of the trunk that holds the latch plate. Best bet for the OP is to continue trying the bent wire trick. With slight downward pressure on the lid the bar should move easily and open.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:35 pm

k1w1t1m wrote:
celford30 wrote:First question are you locked out or the release is failing to operate and does this go for the side bag release also? Next is your lid closed without any gaps? If you can pry your lid up (be careful) on your trunk you will have access to three screws that hold the back plate covering your security bar. Once loose it should give your a little more access to the center screw and if the plate has room to fall away you may be able to repeat the coat hanger maneuver. This is very touchy because you don't want to break your trunk lid. I believe others have already pointed out that the side trunks have a release inside the trunk so once you're in; the side bags are no problem. Once you're in you might want to create (fabricate) a cable release before you put everything back together just in case you need make other adjustments after closing. Lockout been there HATED IT :twisted:

I think you have forgotten the three screws on the inside of the trunk that holds the latch plate. Best bet for the OP is to continue trying the bent wire trick. With slight downward pressure on the lid the bar should move easily and open.

Correct. There's no way to remove that cover without first having the trunk lid open.

shadow02

Postby shadow02 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:34 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
k1w1t1m wrote:

Correct. There's no way to remove that cover without first having the trunk lid open.

Well the good news is that I have accessed all compartments! Whoohoo! Locksmith's are beautiful people. The locksmith I used had never opened a Goldwing trunk before but was quite confident that it would not be a problem.he dug out all the "toys" and proceeded to attack the trunk. 2 hours later, success. Using the method in the DYI article on this site he created a "better mouse trap" (i.e.: coat hanger; he used a steel rod and configured it to specs. It had little to no flexibility) hooked the rod, gave it a yank and "poof" ... trunk open. Happy,happy; joy, joy!
Ride safe,ride happy-

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Sorry I didn't read and reply earlier, but glad you got her done.

I also had a new to me 88' with a locked trunk that would not open, and the DYI hanger trick wouldn't work either.

Seems there was one other piece of information from the PO that was not given. The locking mechanism was taken apart and put back together incorrectly.

I have not too good eyesight, and there was never enough lighting to see what I was doing. I spent maybe a total of 6 hours trying, and the bike was in a different country at the time, and I was going to remove the back rest and drill a 4" hole in the back of the trunk to get to the inner mechanism of the latch and take it apart.

When I could see it, and figure out what I was doing wrong (or the latch actually), I applied more force and bent the inside parts and made the latches release. Luckily the parts are cheap, and I think I paid $10 or $20 for a replacement part.

Seems that the release bar was placed on top of the lever, rather than underneath. So what I learned was if you ever take this apart, work the release lever while the trunk is open, to insure it is working, before you close your lid.

chefkev121
Motorcycle: 66, Italiajet 125 street bike-81 Honda CB750-82,-Honda 750 Hondamatic-82, Yamaha 650 seca-96 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan, 93 Honda 1100 ACE tourer-03 VTX 1300R-89 Honda CB900 Custom,69,Benelli 650 tornado (RAT BIKE),88 gl1500 INST ,96 Harley Davidson Electraglide classic. and then finally thankfully back to a 93 gl1500 SE oh no!! i forgot a 68, Montgomery Ward 42 CC mini bike

Postby chefkev121 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:13 am

i am wondering if your "locksmith " is related the one i have used in the past BFH and his friend screwdriver? i wish you luck.. :D
Kevin "Mongo" Damms
93 GL1500 SE
Darksider

I'm Clostraphobic so I ride a motorcycle well that's what I tell the wife anyway works well so far.

sandy1man
Motorcycle: 2012 1800

Postby sandy1man » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:45 pm

I have a 1999 1500 SE. I found your question and this forum by searching for a solution to getting a trunk open. I was able to get mine open without cutting anything or drilling any holes as some have suggested. It may be that this malfunction was different from what they had... however after getting mine open I discovered that the lock does in fact turn to the left to open the trunk. Mine would not turn because it is full of dirt and junk. I'll clean mine out before I put it back together and grease everything up. With that being said.. I took the lower trunk fairing off so that I could get a better look at the mechanism. I was able to locate the parts that make the trunk lock work by wiggling the release lever. I could see that one of the plastic arms that actuate the lock was out of it's location. and I could see the steel parts that were suppose to move if everything was in place. It's hard to explain but I put a flat screwdriver against the part that was supposed to move and pushed up. The trunk popped open fairly easy. I'm going to make a video of how I got it open if I can maneuver a camera in there because this seems to be a common problem. I hope that answer helped.

sandy1man
Motorcycle: 2012 1800

Postby sandy1man » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Check that out!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:42 pm

gordonv wrote:Sorry I didn't read and reply earlier, but glad you got her done.

I also had a new to me 88' with a locked trunk that would not open, and the DYI hanger trick wouldn't work either.

Seems there was one other piece of information from the PO that was not given. The locking mechanism was taken apart and put back together incorrectly.

I have not too good eyesight, and there was never enough lighting to see what I was doing. I spent maybe a total of 6 hours trying, and the bike was in a different country at the time, and I was going to remove the back rest and drill a 4" hole in the back of the trunk to get to the inner mechanism of the latch and take it apart.

When I could see it, and figure out what I was doing wrong (or the latch actually), I applied more force and bent the inside parts and made the latches release. Luckily the parts are cheap, and I think I paid $10 or $20 for a replacement part.

Seems that the release bar was placed on top of the lever, rather than underneath. So what I learned was if you ever take this apart, work the release lever while the trunk is open, to insure it is working, before you close your lid.

This is a common mistake. This is why I wrote in my DIY article: Replace the latching cover by sliding it back (towards the back of the bike, NOT placing it down from above) into place. While holding it in place, and with the trunk open, pull the trunk release several times to make sure the latch mechanism operates. If it doesn't, you have not got the latch cover in the correct position. Remove it and try again.

If you put the latching cover back in place by placing it down from the top, it will put the bar on top of the mechanism exactly as you describe, and nothing will ever get it to unlatch again. You must slide it into place, along the bottom of the trunk, sliding it to the back of the bike. Once it's in place, absolutely test it to make sure the latches retract before closing the trunk lid.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”