Turn Signal Problem. . . .

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Turn Signal Problem. . . .

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Out for a ride today, took the wife to a Dr appointment and on the way home, my turn signals BOTH turned on, no flashing, but all the signal lights on. After a mile or so, they turned back off, then after a bit, back on like this for about a ten mile stretch. When all the signal lights are on, the turn signals do not work, so I had to use hand signals to make lane changes and turns. . . . About a mile or two from home, everything started working right again. Ideas where to start looking for the problem/s ?

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Turn Signal Problem. . . .

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:29 pm

Sounds to me like a bad ground wire connection in the wiring harness. Use the search function to find other threads covering this topic.Im sure others will be here shortly to help steer you in the right direction to solve this issue 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 am

As always the first place to start looking is from non OEM wiring/devices added to the circuit. Then it would be to the 4 way flasher switch and then turn signal switch problems.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:21 am

I had a similar issue with mine a couple months ago...turned out it was my 18 year old Wig-Wag unit...removed it and problem cleared up...the Wig-Wag had finally failed! Check Non-OEM stuff first!!

My turn signals were on dim and I had lost brake light and the ability to use the turn signals...not good when riding!!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:24 am

the wig wag effected your turn signals ? Weird, That is one I would have never guessed ! Will look into it as soon as weather allows. I did take the bike out today with no issues at all. . . . weird .
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

wingpilot08
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:39 am

Uncle Fester wrote:the wig wag effected your turn signals ? Weird, That is one I would have never guessed ! Will look into it as soon as weather allows. I did take the bike out today with no issues at all. . . . weird .

Not really weird at all..it does wire into the brake light to cause the light to cycle on/off....The Wig-Wag burned up...had an internal short that caused the issue...it was age related...had gone thru the cycle of flashes over the years and just finally died...but it caused a major issue with the ground and effected the bikes electrical system. I have since replaced with a new W/W unit and it works perfectly!!

Here is a link to the original posting of the issue http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22534
Darkside #1720

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:14 am

I would start looking for a bad ground at the scocket if you do not have any after market lighting on the bike.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:13 pm

Yes, this is a classic symptom of a bad ground. Bad grounds can be tough to find - you can at least find where it is by taking a long wire, attaching it to the negative terminal on the battery, and using it as a probe. Start pushing it into connectors where ground wires are present - obviously some lighting harnesses would be a good place to start. When you hit one that fixes the problem, you've identified the part of the circuit that has the bad ground. You can then work backward to find out where the bad ground is.

Sometimes when the bad ground is buried somewhere deep inside a wiring harness, it's easier to just run a new ground wire as a replacement, and wire it in permanently.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Ok, I am not a fan of my WIG WAG, so I will start there. Now that brings up a new question. . . .

WHERE is the WIG WAG mounted ? LOL

Mine is wired up to just wig wag the trunk break lights, and I would rather it flash them all, so I want to remove mine for now, and later on I will get a new unit and wire it up the way I want.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:38 pm

I had to take the bike out tonight, and MUCH to my dismay, I found out that when the turns are acting up (all lit up at once) the brake lights do not work either. . . So I am really leaning towards the WIG WAG box being bad. As I stated before, I am not a fan of how mine is hooked up, so I am willing o remove it for now, I just have to figure out where the darn thing is mounted ! lol

Where are the most common mounting points for one that is only hooked up to the trunk brake lights ?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:08 am

Unclefester the Wig Wag is usually mounted under the seat. It is a plastic box about 1½ x 3".
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks Ding Dong, if it warms up today I will look for it there, and I also saw someone mounted theirs under the trunk, will look there too.

wingpilot08
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:50 am

Uncle Fester wrote:Thanks Ding Dong, if it warms up today I will look for it there, and I also saw someone mounted theirs under the trunk, will look there too.

Mine was under the trunk, inside the panel beneath the trunk..that was the specified location by the manufacturer.....
Darkside #1720

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:53 pm

wingpilot96 wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:Thanks Ding Dong, if it warms up today I will look for it there, and I also saw someone mounted theirs under the trunk, will look there too.

Mine was under the trunk, inside the panel beneath the trunk..that was the specified location by the manufacturer.....

Right. Most brake light flashers are installed there, because the connectors are easily accessible. Follow the first five steps shown here to remove it and gain access: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Okay, the weather behaved today so I am TRYING to fix this. . . But I am cunfused, H E L PM! Lol

The wig wag unit is under the trunk, but it is not a BACK OFF unit (I don't think), the unit I have is fully incapsulated in rubber with no cooling fins or anything like that. It has 6 wires total, two orange or red, two blue and two green. As with other wiring jobs, the PO soldered the leads together CLOSE to the tail light housing and taped them up so I can not tell what I am working with. Grrrr

Can any one offer any help ?
Attachments
The only thing that was on the block, this sticker
The only thing that was on the block, this sticker

wingpilot08
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:44 pm

That is the EXACT old Wig Wag I had on my '96 (you also have a '96..) that took out the lights on my bike....

There should be 6 wires in total two red or orange, two blue and two green. One of the green should have a yellow stripe..the solid green is ground and the green/yellow strip connects to the brake light power. The blue and red are to be connected to the actual light themselves...Honestly..as old as it is I would pull it out and replace it...it could become a failure in the near future...

Really wish I could be more helpful...I would need to see the light schematic for better detail.
Darkside #1720

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:58 pm

I want to remove it, yes, but the PO cut and soldered the wires with no slack in them ( like all his wiring projects I have had to fix so far. . . .IDIOT! ) and I am having trouble figuring out where what goes.

I did figure out, I THOUGHT, that the two red or orange wires go up to the left side of the trunk and LOOK as if they are cut into a green wire w/white or silver dots so I just need to remove the red wires and connect the green silver doted wire back together. . .

Unfortunately I do not have a garage, shed or covered car port to work under and the sky just started clouding up and temp dropped some, so I may be done for the day now. . . grrr

wingpilot08
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:I want to remove it, yes, but the PO cut and soldered the wires with no slack in them ( like all his wiring projects I have had to fix so far. . . .IDIOT! ) and I am having trouble figuring out where what goes.

I did figure out, I THOUGHT, that the two red or orange wires go up to the left side of the trunk and LOOK as if they are cut into a green wire w/white or silver dots so I just need to remove the red wires and connect the green silver doted wire back together. . .

Unfortunately I do not have a garage, shed or covered car port to work under and the sky just started clouding up and temp dropped some, so I may be done for the day now. . . grrr

there should be a wire cut near each brake light connector then the blue and red wires are spliced into the ckt. I will try to draw this up for you tonight using the wiring diagram I have at home and scan it in...unless WingAdmin gets to you first...

As an example...the blue pair would go to the left brake light, the red go to the right brake light...green is ground and green/silver is the brake actuator (power) ( I could be reversed on that where green is power and green/silver is ground)
Darkside #1720

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:49 pm

IF I understand right,

The wires are as follows (on my bike)

RED or ORANGE is Left brake
Blue is Right brake
Solid green is Ground
Green w/ yellow stripe is the power

If that is right, I can cut and connect the two Red together,
the same with the two Blue ?
Can I also cut and just CAP OFF the two green wires.

The reason I ask is the PO cut and made his splices with in one inch of the various bike connectors, leaving no room to undo his work. I can not even find where the green stripe wire connects it is buried so far un in there. . .

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:IF I understand right,

The wires are as follows (on my bike)

RED or ORANGE is Left brake
Blue is Right brake
Solid green is Ground
Green w/ yellow stripe is the power

If that is right, I can cut and connect the two Red together,
the same with the two Blue ?
Can I also cut and just CAP OFF the two green wires.

The reason I ask is the PO cut and made his splices with in one inch of the various bike connectors, leaving no room to undo his work. I can not even find where the green stripe wire connects it is buried so far un in there. . .

To me, this says that the green/yellow (incoming brake power) should be connected to the red and blue wires, which will feed the brake power directly to the lights. The only unused wire is the solid green (ground).

wingpilot08
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:38 pm

I tried to find the correct schematic...but this should help. You had to cut into the harness to add the device....This should be correct...hope you can make it out...
Last edited by wingpilot08 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkside #1720

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:44 pm

That helps alot. . . Thanks !

As long as the weather behaves, I will work on this in the A.M.

wingpilot08
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:That helps alot. . . Thanks !

As long as the weather behaves, I will work on this in the A.M.

Corrected the file...Good luck!!
Darkside #1720

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:31 am

Don't know if this will help or not. When you say 'wig-wag' flasher, do you actually mean that ? Or, do you just have a brake light flasher ? A wig-wag actually alternates the flashing brake lights from left to right as it operates. I had a brake light flasher on my 97 when I got it. The label was still legible, and I was able to track down what was probably the only remaining instruction book in the world, directly from a really helpful guy at J&M, which was the brand of my flasher. It failed, thus necessitating the replacement, and my search for the old wiring setup. So, I no longer have the device, to tell if it is the same as yours. But my recollection is that it looked VERY similar to your module. With these instructions, and the actual device in hand, I was able to decipher which wires belonged to which, and wire in a new Back-Off device. BTW, the correct wiring method for the original device was to use the supplied wiring harness that plugged into to the OEM connectors. The J&M device is no longer made, and hasn't been for a LONG time.

Uncle Fester

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:17 am

Yeah, it is a wig wag, flashes side to side for a number of times then goes solid until I let off the brake and "reset it" . Mine was wired to JUST the trunk lights, which I liked, but it has died, so off it goes ! Lol mine was a cut and distroy install, no OEM plug type set up, so I doubt it was a J&M unit.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”