Right shock removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Kingston
Motorcycle: 2004 Honda 919
1998 GL1500
1919 Indian PowerPlus (bought new)

Right shock removal

Postby Kingston » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:29 pm

I removed the top bolt. Then I loosened the bottom one. It only turned about one turn very easily then got really tight. I tried it with the rear off the ground (shock fully extended). Then with the wheel on the ground (shock compressed a little). I don’t want to use air gun on it, as it is not a very big bolt. The left one with the bottom bolt on at about 50 lbs came off easy. It's on the center stand, so the weight on the bottom bolts are the same.
Any ideas?

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Right shock removal

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:57 am

Other than soaking it really good with penetrating oil and working the bolt in and out again to see if it will free up, I have no clue... Patience is the best course on frozen bolting, if in fact it is frozen and not binding from some side loading force that (maybe) you can't see. If there is the option of adding some heat without damaging anything that can't be replaced easily and cheaply.. and cooling the bolt with penetrating oil... I've had pretty good success with that method too.. and an impact driver can often get stuck bolts moving again when constant pressure from a wrench won't budge a bolt.. that hammer-shock works wonders at times.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Kingston
1998 GL1500

Postby Kingston » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:04 am

Nothing better thant working on your Wing on Christmas morning.
I don't thing it's frozen because it broke free and started coming out easy then stopped. I will try penetrating oil on it, put I think the boutl is worn and catching on the swingarm. I do have a 1/2" hammer drill, but I don't want to brake the bolt off inside.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:10 am

I can't remember on your bike if the tip of the bolt is exposed, you know... passed through the bracket it threads into, but it if is, the last couple of threads may be corroded and are causing the bolt to hang up after a turn or two towards loose. If it is exposed, you might be able to get a stiff bristled wire brush and clean it up a bit when it's tight... just a thought or two
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Nothing better thant working on your Wing on Christmas morning.

You have to fill in the time somehow while the good cook is busy in the kitchen!

I would be looking for a new bolt to replace the one that you have, as the threads may have been subjected to some rubbing and the thread is getting worn. Maybe a set, so that they all start out right.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:56 pm

The lower shock bushing has a metal sleeve which can seize to the mounting bolt. Spray, pray, tap and light heat on the bolt head if necessary.

Always reduce air shock pressure to zero as an aid for facilitation.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Kingston
1998 GL1500

Postby Kingston » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:27 am

Got the bolt out. It was seized in that shock bushing. I just used penetrating oil and working it back and forth. The threaded end was like new. The bushing and bolt cleaned-up fine. All this to change the oil and the oil doesn’t even look that bad. Twenty years old but only 39,000 miles.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:34 am

Great news... I'm glad you were successful!
Kingston wrote:Got the bolt out. It was seized in that shock bushing. I just used penetrating oil and working it back and forth. The threaded end was like new. The bushing and bolt cleaned-up fine. All this to change the oil and the oil doesn’t even look that bad. Twenty years old but only 39,000 miles.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Kingston wrote:Got the bolt out. It was seized in that shock bushing. I just used penetrating oil and working it back and forth. The threaded end was like new. The bushing and bolt cleaned-up fine. All this to change the oil and the oil doesn’t even look that bad. Twenty years old but only 39,000 miles.

Now that you got that bolt out, it would be a very good time to drop the final drive and grease the drive shaft!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6951

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:05 pm

1: VERY COOL YOU GOT IT OUT AND FIXED !

2: I agree, lube the splines while you are right there and half way to them anyway.

3: Add some anti seize to the bolt, especially in the area it contacts the bushing, this will help in the future.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”