Ticking noise on brake

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Ticking noise on brake

Postby Sidcar » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:29 am

Greetings and a Happy New Year to you.
1989 GL1500
I've recently fitted new EBC sintered brake pads front and rear and Hel braded brake lines to the rear caliper (new brake lines to the front waiting to be fitted). At the same time I fitted an Austone taxi tyre and new wheel bearings to a used rear wheel I bought on ebay and fitted that, using my original brake disc (rotor?). Although clearance between tyre and mudguard at the front of the rear tyre is very close I do have clearance. The brakes bled OK and work far better than the original pads, less spongy and the rear wheel will now lock in an "Emergency stop" (I have a sidecar fitted so worries about skidding off) which it never did before.
The bad news is I get a ticking noise when I apply the footbrake even gently (the noise is not there unless the foot brake is pressed). Remember when you used to clip a bit of card to your bicycle so it brushed against the spokes to sound like an engine? Well it sounds a bit like that. I clamped off the front brake caliper and the noise was still there so I assumed the problem is on the rear brake which I've had apart and can find nothing wrong. The wheel spins freely, no side movement in swinging arm or wheel bearings. I've had the front brake caliper off as well just to make sure and there's nothing wrong there either.
I put about 200 miles on the brakes before pulling it apart as I thought it might be that the new pads needed bedding in. Unless anyone out there has any ideas I'm going to chamfer the edges of the brake pads in case an edge is catching on the slots in the brake disc, can't think why it should, put it back together and try again.

Sid

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Ticking noise on brake

Postby bustedwing » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:08 pm

My first thought is somehow the slots on the rotor have a ridge and need to be worn in. Another thought, the used rotor, possibly has a slight warp. The only way you could see that would be with brake gauges. If there is more than 3 thousandth warp it will make the disc brake caliper shake when you apply the brake. The rubber insulators will dampen some of the noise but as the wear gets worse the rubber wears out and the noise gets bad. Of course I am just going on theory but maybe that will give you something to look for next. Good luck, ride safe.
Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Is it a tick once per wheel revolution, or is it continual as the wheel rotates?

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:27 pm

It's a rapid tick only when the brake is applied.
I've just refitted the rear caliper having chamfered the edges of the brake pads and tried it up the road but the ticking is still there.
Apart from the irritating noise the brakes are great, best they've ever been.
I think my next step is to take the left and saddlebag off (again!) then get my friend to ride in the sidecar so he can look and listen and hopefully spot the problem.

Sid

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:38 pm

When you have it apart, try cleaning the rotor thoroughly with brake parts cleaner (use a cotton cloth, and really scrub every inch of the swept area of the rotor). You may have a spot or two of oil or grease somewhere on the rotor, which will cause the pads to shift back and forth in the caliper a bit during application, causing distinct clicks. Been there, found that problem, fixed that problem.

Just a thought...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:36 pm

I would take the bags off, put the bike up on the center stand, and spin the rear wheel while gently applying the brake. That will give you a better chance of finding where exactly the noise is coming from, and whether it's happening only once per revolution, or continuously as the wheel rotates.

FUGLY
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 se

Postby FUGLY » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:18 am

make sure you have the TOP hat bushes in the right way round these are the inserts on the calliper bolts look like a top hat ..if they are in the wrong way round they will catch on the disk bolts and sound like ticking ..i know i had the same issue

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:01 pm

Sounds like Fugly is on to something. That is right up the road to what I was thinking.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:52 am

To be honest I don't remember (nothing new nowadays) a top hat bush when I took the caliper apart but I did inspect the bolts holding the rotor on and I didn't see any marks to show something was catching. I've just had a look at the parts diagram and I don't see a top hat bush. I shall have to take it apart again and have another look.

Sid

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”