Rear suspension questions

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1980 CB900 Custom (parted and sold)
1988 GL1500 (dark side 175/75-16)
Pull-behind trailer (my design)

Rear suspension questions

Postby GoldWingRev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Happy New Year, guys.
The part few months, my '88 has had trouble with the rear suspension. I had run this past friend and forum member Wingsconsin, and he said to get the Progressive replacement suspension. The thing is, I can't justify $400 for dual air shocks on the back, when only one is the issue. I suspect that the culprit is the spring side (nitrogen filled?), the coil shock. I base this on the fact that height of the bike is affected, you can see the sag, it bottoms out when I leave my driveway (it's a hill), and the general ride comfort. Plus the air shock holds air fine still.
I've found some coil shocks for a reasonable price in Appleton (WI), also from an '88, and want to know if I should get it. Progressive doesn't offer the one side shock that Wingsconsin had purchased. The only one I can find is the 416, I believe.

Am I being too frugal, or is this something anyone else would do?

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Rear suspension questions

Postby Wingsconsin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:35 pm

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pr ... ies-shocks

412 Series Shocks

MSRP: $299.95

The 412 Series shocks are simply the best value shock on the market today. The 412s simple, durable design means they will be an improvement to your motorcycle's suspension performance for as long as you are riding it. The doublewall steel body construction with nitrogen charged, multi-staged velocity sensitive valving gives you smooth, consistent damping. A five-position cam style preload adjuster lets you dial in your ride whether you're a light rider or heavy hitter. With multiple options like full show chrome or black covers, chrome or black springs in progressive rate, Standard or Heavy-Duty for most applications, there is sure to be a 412 that's right for you and your bike.

Non-Air option
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”