LCD Display

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Winger 99
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE
2006 750 Aero
2007 750 Aero

LCD Display

Postby Winger 99 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:38 am

Currently own a 1999se and for the past few years i had a black mark that covered my lcd display however the unit worked fine but sometimes you would have to wait to get the partial screen to light up to actually see the clock. My bike is stored in a non heated garage during winter months and this past year i am finding that the lcd screen only displays partial digits this omits my ability to determine how much pressure is in my rear shocks. I have been reading that moisture on the ribbon connector to the lcd may cause this. I will try to clean connections this spring to see if that helps. however is there any other way you can determine the amount of pressure in the rear shocks manually? I dont want to buy an expensive display if problems still occur.

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: LCD Display

Postby newday777 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:05 pm

It sounds more like delamination of the LCD panel.
Do you have a Tulsa tall windshield? The Tulsa will cause the sun to reflect into the dash and warp if left in the sun without a cover over the windshield.

The moisture problems were on the 96-97 models.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:38 pm

It is not a ribbon problem, LCD panel itself is not waterproof also causing bleeding. It is quite a commom problem, making used panels hard to find. That is why a new panel in the UK is = to $1,000+ I had to replace the panel on my 93 Aspencade. Lucky for me I got a superb complete dash from USA for just over $200 :D

While you have the dash panel out replace all the dash bulbs with new ones regardless of wether they are working or not, because it is a mammoth task just to replace a failed dash bulb ( I replaced all mine with LED's) Lube the speedo cable while you are at it, and if you have front speaker issues, then will be the time to whip them out. When I had the dash off I spliced a wire into the REV lamp wire, and run the wire to a relay to power the 3 reversing cree LED's I fitted under each pannier and loved them.

They can be seen on my trike also

Ok you may be thinking what about when the trailer is attached, well I installed the same on the trailer LOL

Especially on campsites, I have an old tent I keep the Wing and trailer in and it is great to see what is behind me when returning when it is dark
Attachments
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:52 pm

It could be delamination, it could be something else. Can you post a picture of what your LCD looks like?

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:56 pm

Due to your bike not being in a temp stable environment this could cause condensation to build up, which will damage your LCD. It will cause intermittent operation of the LCD and delamination of the display.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:08 pm

My bike's in an unheated (and damp) garage too, and I have issues with the LCD panel. This winter, I've got a small heater (only comes on for a couple of minutes a day, and only blows lukewarm dry air) blowing up into the behind-the-dash area. My LCD panel is acting perfectly now. My primary concern is that long-term condensation on the electronics may cause permanent damage, and my ad-hoc solution seems to keep the panel & electronics dry & happy.

Winger 99
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 SE
2006 750 Aero
2007 750 Aero

Postby Winger 99 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:25 pm

Wingadmin.
I haven't got a picture but my LCD screen from the right side has nan Bleed Mark so to say and it has been there for a few years no and I always could read radio station For instance 103.9 fm the 9 digit would only show partial because of the (bleed mark) and i could read
most of the suspension pressure. Now time and pressure and radio stn is all part digits seems like it want's to show and it gets a little better as bike warms up but not enough to read. Used the bike 4 years with this bleed mark but past year not available to read . I thought of taking dash apart to check connections and maybe try a hair dryer on dash. Is there any way to check suspension air pressure manually?

Thanks all for your replys on this.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:02 pm

My bike's in an unheated (and damp) garage too, and I have issues with the LCD panel. This winter, I've got a small heater (only comes on for a couple of minutes a day, and only blows lukewarm dry air) blowing up into the behind-the-dash area. My LCD panel is acting perfectly now. My primary concern is that long-term condensation on the electronics may cause permanent damage, and my ad-hoc solution seems to keep the panel & electronics dry & happy.

Just to add to the discussion, when I lived in the tropics, we used to place a small fan in the cupboards to stop your clothes and shoes from going moldy. The alternative was to put a low wattage lamp, something like an oven lamp, and that was enough to drive out the mold from gathering.

It may be an assistance in your problem of keeping some areas warm and dry. By putting it up around the bike's front end, it might just provide enough warmth to dry and keep dry the LCD panel. HTH
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:39 am

Winger 99 wrote:Wingadmin.
I haven't got a picture but my LCD screen from the right side has nan Bleed Mark so to say and it has been there for a few years no and I always could read radio station For instance 103.9 fm the 9 digit would only show partial because of the (bleed mark) and i could read
most of the suspension pressure. Now time and pressure and radio stn is all part digits seems like it want's to show and it gets a little better as bike warms up but not enough to read. Used the bike 4 years with this bleed mark but past year not available to read . I thought of taking dash apart to check connections and maybe try a hair dryer on dash. Is there any way to check suspension air pressure manually?

Thanks all for your replys on this.

If the bleed mark is a black splotch on the LCD (which I suspect is the case?) then this is a symptom of a failed LCD panel. There is no way to repair this, and the only thing you can do is replace it - which unfortunately is quite expensive.

papaM11945
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing GL 1500 se

Postby papaM11945 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Just saw all the posts about LCD display problems. Please, no rotten tomato's (I know nothing) but I just had to mention this. One day the LCD screen on my 91 SE 1500 went AWOL. In full panic mode I calculated thousands of dollars in repairs. From on high the thought occurred that it must be a fuse (or something simple right?) Using the shop manual electrical schematics (you know, the pages with all those funny lines that we're supposed to be able to read) I learned that indeed there was a FUSE that controlled "accessories" (next to last just above the horn fuse) including the LCD display. Yea! Pulled it out and guess what? It was good. Back to panic mode. However, it occurred to me that a few days ago I had tried to attach an "add a fuse blade" to that fuse. So, with trembling fingers I gently wriggled the fuse. Eureka! My LCD display returned, in technicolor! Actually I fibbed about the technicolor thing but it was back good as new. A little tweaking with a probe to adjust the fuse receiver and all is good. Now I'm sure this post has nothing to do with any of the serious problems you guys are addressing BUT it just might encourage someone to try the simple thing first. It couldn't hurt. You know, wriggling can be a good thing. I once was able to start my engine by wriggling the reverse gear lever. It's all good!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”