Winter road salt

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Winter road salt

Postby fnickel » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:18 pm

I had a closer look at my '92 SE between Christmas and New Year's as I was installing the shifter shaft pivot stabilizer. I noticed quite a bit of white, growing crud on the underside of the bike, most of it behind the wheels. I had taken out the bike for a short ride earlier in November, just to get a "probable last ride" in before the winter. The roads were virtually dry, but there was a slight dampness on them. There had been snow previously, which had resulted in salt being applied to the roads. Even that short ride on almost dry roads had deposited a film of salt spray from the tires onto the underside of the bike. Red rust had started to form on some of the exposed steel areas, and it looked like the bare aluminum areas also had corrosion starting. Needless to say, I gave the underside of the bike a soapy bath and rinse. Just a reminder to view winter roads in the snow belt areas with suspicion, even though they look dry. Better to wait until after the spring rains wash away the salt. Of course, if you live in warmer climates, you may not need to concern yourselves with this. Happy New Year to all.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Winter road salt

Postby joeincalif » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:16 pm

I recently bought a 97 SE with only 30300 miles on it. It lived in Lake Tahoe for most of it's life. The paint and everything look great up top but when I looked underneath I saw the results of salt as you talk about.
I changed the rear crash, they were BAD, changed the saddle kick plates and the chrome piece under the headlight, looks a lot better now, and I'M a happy camper!!
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:48 am

California doesn't use salt on the roads, they use sand. Pitting and corrosion can occur in cool moist climates.
Bill

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Our bikes have absolutely zero protection against salt used on roads, and will start rusting immediately after riding in a salty environment, as you have discovered. As soon as salt appears on the roads here, my bike season is done. I don't get it back out until the spring rains have washed all evidence of salt away.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”