What's on your winter to-do list?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

What's on your winter to-do list?

Postby minimac » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Now that winter is finally here, I'll be doing a timing belt change. Besides a thorough cleaning of everything, I plan to clean up some wiring-eliminating twists and tape,from a previous owner-and completing a rear lighting upgrade to L.E.D.s. New brakes all around, and I'm going to buy and replace my relays. I've never had a problem, but it will be cheap insurance against a 20 year old relay giving up the ghost. I figure it will be easier in the garage than on the road, after dark, in the middle of nowhere!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: What's on your winter to-do list?

Postby redial » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:54 pm

In these next few months, plan to go for a ride at least weekly. While I am out, I will buy an ice cream or two (just so that I can think of you Northerners hogging all that ice 8-) ), then I will probably go sit on the beach and have the gentle waves wash over me. Then, the next day, I will find somewhere else to ride to! Life is a female dog! isn't it :twisted:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:51 pm

I plan to catch up on and get ahead of sleep, so I can ride more when the warmer weather returns.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Big Bob » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:47 am

My winter to do list involves making it to spring!!! Lol No heated garage for me so must be patient, plan on attending the IMS show in Feburary, great tire kicking event, makes you think about riding again. Winters are long here, sometimes over 6 months long with no riding. :(

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
143,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Postby fnickel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:51 pm

Sounds good minimac. Make sure to bleed all your brake fluid and the hydraulic clutch fluid while you are at it. You would be surprised at the crud and nasty fluid that will get replaced. Interesting that you are replacing all the relays; how many of them are there, and what are they worth? I had never thought of doing that.

I have a similar winter to yours here in Ontario, Canada. I installed the shifter pivot about a week ago, and still plan to take off the rear wheel to check the rear end spline lubrication. I thought my rear tire would wear out more quickly so that I could do it then, but I have at least another season left on it. I did the timing belts 2 years ago just after I bought my '92 SE, and also replaced the front brake pads. I might also get the radio fixed this winter. The tuner isn't working. Another job for Sierra. Will also replace the windshield. That's about it. It is getting quite cold in the garage, just under freezing, but if I wear the new long undies that I got for Christmas, and a few layers, it's not too bad. Take care.

Blinky
Motorcycle: 1992 Gl1500A Aspencade

Postby Blinky » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:29 am

New to me 1992 GL1500 with 47,000 miles. Belts were changed by selling dealer.
Done
Repair Shop Items

New tires and valve stems
Greased drive shaft splines
Flushed and replaced brake fluid
Flushed and replaced clutch fluid
Brake check
Steering bearing and fork check
Self Service
Replaced headlight bulbs with Silverstar
Added F4 standard screen with vent
Added Utopia backrest
Replaced spark plugs
Replaced rubber grommets for body panels
Replaced air filter
Replaced fuel filter
Rebuilt petcock
Replaced sub filter
Replaced cruise filter
Added reinforcements to luggage rack rear mounting points on top trunk
Installed shift pivot
Took apart switch housings and applied contact cleaner
Replaced after market floorboards with pegs

In the works
Ordered alternator rubber bushings
Shipped alternator to Ken for evaluation
Change rear drive oil
Install dual USB power outlet in left glove box
Get duplicate key made

Under Consideration
Add drive off center stand
Add hand wind wings
You don't need to tell me 12 times. Eleven usually does it.

redial

Postby redial » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:23 pm

You have been busy to keep yourself warm.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

enjoyriding
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 83,000+
1980 XS1100G 101,200 sold
1976 XS650 54, 000 sold

Postby enjoyriding » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Just went out for the 'second ride' with my wife, all the kids (6) have been on multiple trips. She is not a fan of dipping down to see into one of the side mirrors :( , for checking her hair. So, for the 'second' time, she mentioned it would be nice to have a mirrior attached to the inside of the trunk lid. The lid is open to put her helmet in, and take her purse out, and it would be nice if one was right there. I think a mirrior installation is on my "winter to-do list". :)

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:13 am

themainviking wrote:I plan to catch up on and get ahead of sleep, so I can ride more when the warmer weather returns.

So what you are saying is that you are going to hibernate till spring...... 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:18 pm

enjoyriding wrote:Just went out for the 'second ride' with my wife, all the kids (6) have been on multiple trips. She is not a fan of dipping down to see into one of the side mirrors :( , for checking her hair. So, for the 'second' time, she mentioned it would be nice to have a mirrior attached to the inside of the trunk lid. The lid is open to put her helmet in, and take her purse out, and it would be nice if one was right there. I think a mirrior installation is on my "winter to-do list". :)

Don't know why there isn't one there already. My GL1100 Aspencade had one built in from Honda. :)

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:35 pm

I'm just going out to the shop to continue my first, major service on my GL1500SE. Doing timing belts, all air filters, coolant change, oil & filter, plugs, etc. Almost got it apart enough to start work on it - looks like a frame and engine at the moment. God, I hope it all works when I put it all back together!!

If it weren't for WingAdmin's photo essays, I'd never have gotten THIS far!

Chickenlegs
Motorcycle: 97 a

Postby Chickenlegs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:50 pm

to do list on the wing ? pretty much all the same stuff as everyone else and getting on google maps planning the vacation trip through the Rocky Mountains in Colorado plus all the smaller trips in the Black Hills, South Dakota. top pic, entrance to the Hills, lower pic, one of the best motorcycle rides you'll ever take 8-)
Attachments

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:13 am

Considering the list of everyday maintenance stuff I'm doing, the amount of tear down required was incredible! The individual jobs themselves weren't that tedious, but some of the little things have been trying in the extreme.

Now, I'm starting reassembly and my perpetual copilot, Murphy, confounds me at every step. It took two hours, for example, to put the left fairing cover (with the CB control panel) back in place. Anchoring plates moved out of reach, vent tubes fouled on vents, rubber boots seemed to have shrunk several sizes overnight, and captured nuts ran away laughing & free of their bonds, all while trying to fit one, single panel.

Only a dozen or so more to go...

The good news is, the timing belt chane went more or less as planned, the oil & coolant don't seem to leak, and the engine runs perfectly.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:09 am

In the following order I plan to change the fork oil, check out an AD disabling shim I have ordered, check the brake shoes and pads aand may flush some new brake fluid if pads or shoes are needed, check anti freeze, I have a cooling fan that does not sound very pleasant. Considering a new screen with 2 vents, considering new seat, I want the paintwork on the trailer looking at, trying out some cree LED bulbs in fogs and cowl lights. looking into fitting cree LED lamps into the front of the running boards, a few lighting mods I am working on.

Judging by the info Larry gave me, I am sure my 2002 radio unit has the Mickey Mouse amp, unfortunately, and understandably, Larry will no longer send them outside the US. This is the mod above all others I really want to get done, despite all my efforts I cannot find anyone apart from Larry with the knowledge to do it, myself included. I could fit an amp in the top box, but amp modification would do me, and I would much prefer this to an amp in the top box. :(
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:55 am

New AGM battery; Added Belly Pan and will be Adding heated grips this weekend. Getting ready for trip back east in March.......
Bill

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Sadly I will be putting my up for sale. I am not interested in trimming it, and am buying a Spyder. The Wing has been a great ride. Couldn't ask for better. But the health issues of the past have had lasting residuals. Keeping the Wing up at stops does. It always work well and my wife, as well as myself, are tired of picking the Wing and ourselves up from the ground. Plus mirrors can get expensive.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:59 pm

Winter list consisted of....

-rebuilding front forks
-servicing the air compressor
-installing billet tire valves
-start replacing some of the old rubber hoses
-polish wheels up nice
-add aux. fuse panel
-wire my HID delay relay to aux. fuse panel for it to work proper
-add a little more chrome (possibly some flags or would that be overstated??)

-also would like add gps because I get lost more times that I care to admit last season. Its embarrassing.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

redial

Postby redial » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:46 pm

-add a little more chrome (possibly some flags or would that be overstated??)[\quote]

I do not mind flags for special occasions, like patriot guards, special parades, etc, but I do not think that they are for everyday use. I realise that most North Americans are more nationalistic than some other parts of the world, but you do not have to fly a flag on your mc to prove that you are.

-also would like add gps because I get lost more times that I care to admit last season. Its embarrassing.

It is a way of going the "scenic route". Think of all the new places that you have been if you hadnt taken the "alternative" route? Besides, you have to exercise your riding skills at every opportunity.

Len in Kapunda

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”