Houston: We have a problem!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
shadow02
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500

Houston: We have a problem!

Postby shadow02 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Greetings my fellow WingNuts! I figured I have not brought an issue to the forum for at least a week so here we go: REAR BRAKES on the 1988 GL 1500.
I was riding a couple weeks ago and noticed the brakes were “spongy”. So doing due diligence I opted to change the brake fluid.
For the front brake I went old school; removed the reservoir top, removed the guts, pumped the brake lever several times, released the bleeder valve, held the lever down, lever went limp and the fluid began to drain. When it was clear, sealed the bleeder valve, topped off the reservoir and I was back in business. The REAR BRAKE I figured I do the same thing. Removed the top lid of the reservoir, pumped the floor brake several times, held the peddle down, released the bleeder on the left side of the bike and … NOTHING! Peddle still remained tight and nothing was coming out of the bleeder valve. Tried again, same result. So I broke out the MityVac, attached it to the bleeder nipple, removed cap from reservoir, pumped about 10 lbs of pressure in the system, releases the bleeder nut 1/2 turn and … nothing, again!
So at this point I sought another opinion, I “asked the mechanic”. After telling him of my woes he suggested a “gravity bleed”. So I removed the cap once again from the reservoir, opened the bleeder nipple a full turn this time and let gravity do it’s job. 2 hours later, nothing. Zero fluid coming out of the bleeder. So again I went back to “ask the mechanic”. This time he suggested with the bleeder closed depress the back brake peddle and hold it down. The open the bleeder. He said that the pressure from the fluid should clean out anything in the line. 30 minutes I depressed that stupid brake peddle and zip. Nada. Zero. Is there air in the system? I would say yes. If there wasn't there is now.
So I now turn to the faithful legend of Wingers for help. Has anyone had or come across this problem before? If so, how is it corrected?
Thanks-
Ride safe, ride often-

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Houston: We have a problem!

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Your "bleeder" is maybe rusted shut....right in the slave cylinder....
You might completely remove the bleeder screw..If brake fluid comes out of the hole,just clean the bleeder...If no fluid comes out,try a little brake pressure to clear it....A small pick can be used to open the hole too...gently.....
If in fact it's rusted,you might consider removing the slave and servicing it for corrosion under the piston seal.
If no fluid comes out anywhere there,loosen the bolt on the brake line and operate the brake lever...see if there is fluid getting through the lines....It can be loosened at the master too and checked the same way....a bit of brake and it should come out around the fitting....Brake lines can also rust shut..

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Your bike has a linked brake system. This means the rear, and if I remember correctly, the front left engage when the brake pedal is depressed. You need to bleed the front left first, then the rear. If you've already done this, then someone smarter than me will be along shortly to help. Good luck!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:44 pm

If no fluid is coming out, I suspect the hole inside the bleeder is blocked with rust and crap.. Try completely removing the bleed bolt from the caliper and then taking a needle or small drill and clean out the hole that runs down the middle of the bleed bolt and comes out the side at the bottom..

Gary

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Linked is true.The foot brake lever operates both front and rear brakes on the left side.
Did the front left caliper bleed out OK or is this the one that won't bleed out.
I guess I assumed it was the rear caliper you have problems with.
Does the foot brake lever actually stop both wheels when it is applied?
If it does,fluid is going all the way to the slaves,just not coming out the bleeder.
All 3 of mine seized right after I bought my 88.Corrosion under the piston seals in the calipers.I had to repair the whole system just to get the bike off the trailer.Both wheels locked up.

shadow02
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500

Postby shadow02 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:05 pm

BiIG BIRD has brakes! Thanks to the vast knowledge and experience of my fellow WIngNut”s, my 1988 GL 1500 once again can stop again! Who-rah!
Thank you for all the advice, it was spot on. Cleaned everything out as suggested and when I pumped the peddle that brake fluid streamed out crisp and clean. When I replace the rear tire I will probably give the rear brake system a good going over and replace what probably needs to be updated.
Thanks again-

Go

Ride safe, ride often

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”