how long can it go...cupped tire

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Chickenlegs
Motorcycle: 97 a

how long can it go...cupped tire

Postby Chickenlegs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:32 pm

97' 1500, my Dunlop E3 (rear) with about 6000 miles on the tire that is starting to cup on the left side, I ride two up most of the time, lots of highway and lots of twisties 40 psi front and 41 psi back. There are all kinds of speculations and theory's, I "think" and I use that word loosely, its because the tire is under inflated or out of balance or maybe... IT doesn't matter, there are quite a few, (not all), big bikes do it eventually. I should not have even gone there :o anyway, how long can or should a cupped tire be ridden on safely before it should be replaced ? I know that's a loaded question. I have lots of time, :roll:

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: how long can it go...cupped tire

Postby ct1500 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 pm

What is the age of the tire and how long has it been on? What is the mileage on the bike and what type of suspension maintenance done? How did the previous tire wear? What is the story of front tire? What suspension pressures are run?

A picture of front and back tires would be helpful.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Chickenlegs

Postby Chickenlegs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 pm

Tires 1 1/2 yrs. Fork oil changed, rear shock oil changed 1yr ago. 0 psi in front, and 40 to 43 in back (2 up) when I just start my ride. It will be in the 50s after a few hours of riding (from heat).Front tire is great. 34k on bike, rides smooth

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:52 am

When riding the bike loaded near/over GVWR rating, riding in hot conditions and mostly on straight roads, these conditions will 'square off' the centre portion of the tire's tread, producing cupping.
The E3s cup early on the wings and unless it's causing stability issues, is not really a concern. They will 'howl' when riding 'off centre'.
You should be able to get another 10 - 14,000 mi on it, depending on severity of cupping.

Change it out when you are approaching/at/in the wear bars, before it gets to this condition!! :roll: (30,556 mi)

Chickenlegs

Postby Chickenlegs » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:53 am

that tire looks like it was used in the burnout contest at the Sturgis biker rally

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:09 am

I'd say someone got their money's worth out that tire... LOL. If I'd have seen that it would have scared the heck out of me if it was still mounted on my MC...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:16 am

A slight left side wear bias can be seen in Dusty's 30k tire and this one with 25k miles. As far as seeing it at 6k miles well ???? Again what did the previous tire show? A machine that eats tires on one side only needs further investigation.
Attachments
Last edited by ct1500 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is what I do

Chickenlegs

Postby Chickenlegs » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:45 am

I never saw the previous tires, I bought the bike with these tires on it and they looked

fairly new. the previous owner told me there was about 1500 miles on the tires when I bought the bike. My new tires will have balancing beads in them.

lamasue
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Postby lamasue » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:54 pm

how do you guys pass inspection i just put an e3 on front not cheap when my rear goes im putting another e3 i hope i get more than 6000 of 2up riding on it id be looking at suspension issues

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Time to expire this Pilot GT...I remember it had about 8000 miles on it after it started making noises (cupping)

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:45 pm

ct1500 wrote:A slight left side wear bias can be seen in Dusty's 30k tire and this one with 25k miles. As far as seeing it at 6k miles well ???? Again what did the previous tire show? A machine that eats tires on one side only needs further investigation.

Could be just wearing on the left side just from the crown in the roads he's riding.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

lamasue
Motorcycle: 2000 1500se

Postby lamasue » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:33 pm

theres alot more to it than that number one is tire pressure which can change in a week ,riding style can contribute also

Chickenlegs

Postby Chickenlegs » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:49 pm

In my original post, I was asking, how long I can safely go on a cupped tire? Those tires in the pictures I would have changed several thousand miles ago, but to each his own. I see that I can go farther on my cupped tire than I thought, just not that far. As far as why tires cup, there are many theories and speculations. Here are just a few: Under inflated, over weighted, out of round, out of balance, worn wheel bearings, riding style, riding on the side of the crown in the road, suspension problems, and I'm sure there are more. Eliminate most or all of those problems, and you can get many miles out of your tire, unless of course you run over a railroad spike :lol:. I enjoyed reading every ones posts and looking at all the pictures. This is an interesting topic, I know it's not the first time and it won't be the last. I really benefit from this website, its interesting, educational and fun.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:49 am

So many untrue reasons passed on over the years about tire wear!!!
Here's the real facts:
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:35 am

lamasue wrote:how do you guys pass inspection

Inspection??? We don' need no steenkeeng spections.....
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:06 am

Chickenlegs wrote:97' 1500, anyway, how long can or should a cupped tire be ridden on safely before it should be replaced ? I know that's a loaded question. I have lots of time, :roll:

Like any tire it is safe and legal to use until any portion is worn to the wear bars at which time it should be replaced. :) Age considerations excluded as a disclaimer. Tread depth is always measured at the most worn portion for an uneven wearing tire.
This is what I do

Johnrmont
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE White Pearl

Postby Johnrmont » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:03 pm

TfDeputyDog ... Thanks for posting the link to the tire tests ... I found them very interesting and completely believable in my mind ... I had no idea! :oops:
Previous Wings:
1975 GL1000
1976 GL1000
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 LTD

Big Bob
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Big Bob » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:30 am

I must not ride hard enough........I average 21,000 on my E3's and they NEVER have looked that wore out. Maybe it's because I don't have a trailer, ride 2 up, or do any burn out's anymore. Sadly most of my riding is commuter miles but I still get it on the open road (highway and twisties) but I've never had a rear tire look so wore down since the days when I had my FJ 1200 and that bike went threw tires every 6-8,000 miles, and yes I did some burn out's!

Bob
Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
'96 GL1500A Aspencade, Red The Best Color!
143,000 miles and still going strong!
A bad day off is better than your best day at work!

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote:
ct1500 wrote:A slight left side wear bias can be seen in Dusty's 30k tire and this one with 25k miles. As far as seeing it at 6k miles well ???? Again what did the previous tire show? A machine that eats tires on one side only needs further investigation.

Fatwing Chris wrote:Could be just wearing on the left side just from the crown in the roads he's riding.

And I don't? :) When motorcycles are new you do not read about tire problems with widely varying mileage reports of one GoldWing that can only get 7k while others get 22k off the showroom floor, it simply isn't happening.

It seems very prevalent in much older, multiple owner MC's that odd one sided/premature wearing tire issues arise. In this thread alone there are pictures of three very high mileage tires that are worn straight across along with what BigBob wrote about his high mileage tires. One sided tire wear that causes a tire to be trashed early leaving the other side still looking good is not normal.

In another Forum an owner was trash talking a particular tire, come to find out he cheaped out and got the next size down with a wrong (lower) tire LOAD rating. ;) Another was writing about his poor tread mileage with another Brand, come to find out it was in an accident previously. ;) Another thread had a rear caliper bracket rubbing the disc and the owner fixed it by machining a shim for the axle, WHAT. ;) Improper repair, misuse, neglect, accident, among other causes need to be investigated as to the WHY.

A while back I started a thread that had a bike with complete left side rear tire tread gone with the right side still having plenty of meat. Did the repair and installed a new tire with tread wear check ups at 100 and 1000 miles and was now showing normal straight across wear pattern. :) Yet some still replied that the premature left side tread wear removal was normal. :roll: I keep trying albeit less as of late.
This is what I do

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 am

I replace my tires BEFORE I get to the wear bars...there is too much depending on just a few small inches between me and my maker. While I have a lot of respect for some of the one's that post pics of their bald tires, I'm sorry, that's just plain stupid in my book. There is no reason to ride with tires like that. Not only do you put yourself at risk-that's your business- but there is no good reason to put others on the road at risk unnecessarily.

Chickenlegs

Postby Chickenlegs » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Chickenlegs wrote: 0 psi in front, and 40 to 43 in back (2 up) when I just start my ride. It will be in the 50s after a few hours of riding (from heat).Front tire is great. 34k on bike, rides smooth

I would like to know what do YOU guys run for "shock" and/or "fork" air pressure's on your 1500 wing riding 2up, front and rear. And do you re-adjust that pressure when it rises from heat, ? Like maybe when you get gas or after getting something to eat or at a red light ? I would think that too much or too little pressure could have an affect on the suspension which could transfer that affect to the tires and of course your seat (ride). maybe I'm just a :geek:. Anyway what do you run for pressure's

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:05 pm

No need to micro-manage suspension pressures, set it and forget it. 0-57psi and yes zero is a legitimate number with the rear tire off the ground. As a heavily loaded touring bike will compress the suspension and lead to bottoming out Honda utilized the one right side air shock for ride height adjustability. Low pressures will give a somewhat softer ride and higher pressures a more firm one. Suspension height on a car is a crucial factor as it can affect wheel camber but not on the MC except for fork rake and a taller rear end will give more front end dive during heavy braking.

Rear pressure setting is done with the bike on center stand because when the bike comes off it and the air shock compresses the pressure will go up by a few lbs. Me, a 32-38psi checked when cold middle of the road guy. :)

This is what I do

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”