lost electric problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Eric's brown bike
Motorcycle: 1998 goldwing se

lost electric problem

Postby Eric's brown bike » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:19 pm

So sorry for being stupid but bike has a problem has a perasitic load some where have pulled all the fuses to no availe can't seem to find it also how much drop in voltage should there be on battery when off. I get about 1 volt of pull any advice would be helpfull thanks guys

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: lost electric problem

Postby ct1500 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Current draws are measured in amperage and stand-by draws (key off and accessories off) will be measured in mA (1 milliAmps=1/1000A) and done with the ground wire removed from battery and a meter in series (between - battery post and battery ground wire).
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Eric's brown bike

Postby Eric's brown bike » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Thank you will try that would like to get fixed before spring

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:18 pm

If you're sure you have a phantom load with everything off, you can help locate it by: 1. Battery connected normally,Key off, everything you know of off. 2. Remove main fuse. 3. Measure voltage across the two main fuse terminals. (with it removed)
If you measure any voltage there, something coming off that fuse holder is either on or it is grounded somewhere.
If no voltage is present there, but when you install the fuse and the load is still there, the problem is between that fuse holder and the battery itself.( a good way to check for a small phantom load: Remove one battery terminal. In subdued lighting or well shaded, scratch the battery terminal across the battery post. Look for tiny arcing at the point the terminal contacts the battery post. Even a small load will create sparks or arcing, tiny but visible.)
Is all the wiring still factory? What's been added? You say the phantom load is there with all fuses removed? Is it still there even with the main fuse removed?
If the phantom load is present with the main fuse removed, it's a very small area to troubleshoot. Mainly the starting system, ignition switch.
Is your ignition switch old and sloppy? Wire insulation damaged somewhere?

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 pm

The stereo will be one source of the parasitic power draw, it needs some for the radio presets/memory and the clock........... 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Eric's brown bike

Postby Eric's brown bike » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:36 am

OK guys word of warning don't always trust what people tell you last fall I made a short ride to see some one when I got there shut the bike off went and had a visit came out key in bike goes click no start first thing check battery no jui ce thinking must be bad so had a friend come and we got it home so I charged broke out the meters and there was no charging coming from alternator so I took it off and took it to an electrics shop where all they do is rebuild alts and starters and had them check it. They told me it was just fine that it was producing juice like 14.4 voltsso want home reinstaled and started looking else where for problem not real good at a electrical meters or how to use them so I have been beating my head for a good two months on this my friend is a elelectrial guru he finely stop out and went through everything to find out that the alternator is bad... Don't trust em

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:35 pm

Eric's brown bike wrote:OK guys word of warning don't always trust what people tell you last fall I made a short ride to see some one when I got there shut the bike off went and had a visit came out key in bike goes click no start first thing check battery no jui ce thinking must be bad so had a friend come and we got it home so I charged broke out the meters and there was no charging coming from alternator so I took it off and took it to an electrics shop where all they do is rebuild alts and starters and had them check it. They told me it was just fine that it was producing juice like 14.4 voltsso want home reinstaled and started looking else where for problem not real good at a electrical meters or how to use them so I have been beating my head for a good two months on this my friend is a elelectrial guru he finely stop out and went through everything to find out that the alternator is bad... Don't trust em

I have never heard of a rebuilt shop say that you dont need their services when you actually do need them, the other way around is way more likely............ What seems to me to be the problem is that you have a wire disconnected from your alternator. maybe the ( blk/grn) sensing wire? Right now your alternator may not be putting out a charge, that doesnt mean that it is not capable. something is not right. 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”