New grips to go over add-on 1500 heat strips

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ratherberiding
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

New grips to go over add-on 1500 heat strips

Postby ratherberiding » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:05 pm

I have an '88 GL1500 that have some skinny rubber grips that are ugly, but they have heaters under them, which are adhered to the handlebars. The covers came off easily when hot. I want to put some thicker chrome and rubber grips on over the bars and leave the grip heater strips in place as they work quite well. Will grips like these work? It looks like they already have a throttle sleeve inserted in the grip, and I still have a throttle sleeve on the bars. I just need the grips to slip over the existing.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldwing-Davidson ... ing+GL1500

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: New grips to go over add-on 1500 heat strips

Postby Dusty Boots » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:29 am

While a pair of ISO grips will fit over the heating elements, the amount of heat transferred through them will be diminished somewhat.
I don't care for the ISO grips, but I needed/wanted something thicker than the stock grips.

I used some kind of a gel grip glue that could withstand the heat and that worked well for securing the stock OEM grips
I ended buying a set of Grab On foam grip covers and they work/feel/look great over the stock OEM grips, as well as allowing the heat from the grip heaters through without any heat loss! They also added that extra bit of diameter/thickness to the grips, dampen any vibration and don't absorb water.

ratherberiding

Postby ratherberiding » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks, I may give those a try. What type of gel glue did you use on the stock grips? One problem I see with the glue set up is that no matter what glue you were to put on the bars, the stock rubber grips fit so tight they would just scrape off the glue as you pushed them on. The other hesitation I have with the gluing is that it ruins the heat strips and grips both, requiring cutting them off if I ever want to change them again.

gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Postby gford » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:14 pm

I placed the grip heaters on top of the normal grips and then covered with foam covers like dusty has. Result is grips heat up fast and consistent on both sides. They do get hot on high but are perfect on low setting.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:25 pm

ISO grips are great in my opinion and they make a set that fits over heaters. The after market ones you show are for 1" handlebars and Goldwing handlebars are 7/8". I would go with the genuine ISO grips made for use with heaters. You will find most people like the ISO grips.

ratherberiding

Postby ratherberiding » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks for the input. I decided to try a pair of the chrome grips, but not the ISO style, rather these, which appear to be a little slimmer, but still have rubber inserts. the photos I'm seeing of all grips mostly show that one grip appears to have a larger hole than the other, meaning one is 1" for accepting the throttle tube, and the other 7/8 for the left bar. All ads say that they fit all models of Goldwings from 1200 to 1800 so I can't imagine that they would be advertising them for the Goldwings if they don't fit. Guess I'll find out...

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:09 pm

I know they are listed for the goldwing but I do know someone that ordered them and they were both 1" so only one side fit. I can't say it was from the same seller but read the same.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”