No power

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Ol' Man
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A/MotorTrike Conversion

No power

Postby Ol' Man » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:42 pm

My '96 GL1500 Motortrike has been sitting in my garage hooked up to a battery tender for about 4 mos. Today I decided to fire it up. Turned the key, all the usual lights & gauges came on, gave 'er some choke, hit the start button and all the lights & gauges went out immediatly. The neutral light dimly cycles on and off. I heard a faint clicking noise similar to a relay that started out slow then sped up and stopped. If the relay box is located next to the fuse box on the left side, I may be up the proverbial creek as the MotorTrike shell is right up against it and solid as a rock. Battery checks 11.5V. As a complete 'noob' I'm at a loss here. Any guidance would be appreciated. I never thought I'd see a grown man cry... :oops:

Today is the oldest you've ever been,
yet the youngest you'll ever be,
so enjoy this day while it lasts.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: No power

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:04 pm

Your battery should have had 12.6 volts. The relay noise you described sounds like the starter solenoid chattering, which they do if your battery is low. I would start with the simple things first. Try jumper cables. You might just have a battery that is worn out and will not hold an adequate charge. The 1500 does require the full voltage to fire up the spark plugs.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:13 pm

This is normally caused by a poor/loose connection, usually on the battery cable itself. With the loose connection, it's tight enough to pass a small amount of current, enough to power up lights and things. But as soon as you try to draw hundreds of amps through that loose connection, it fries the little bit of metal making the connection, which actually acts like a little fuse, and bammo, no power at all!

Leave the bike switched on, and start wiggling the various thick wires leading from the battery to see if any are loose - usually when you get to the one that is causing the problem, the bike will turn back on.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:42 pm

I never have been a fan of leaving battery tenders hooked up, I disconnect it once the battery was charged.
If it is the battery, do yourself a favour and fit a decent car battery in the boot. you will have to buy a cradle and extension cables but you will never regret it
My trike has been tucked away since the end of October when I hooked up the tender overnight. I disconnected the battery leads and forgot about it, I can guarantee if I popped the leads back on it would start as if it had only been standing overnight. I fitted this Bosh, not too big, but big enough.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Renau ... 4ab&000020

I would also make sure the tender is charging as it should, would be disappointing if you bought a new battery and it went flat because the tender has a fault.

If you do not know what work has been done in the past, for peace of mind.....
Apart from what WA suggested, I would remove the leads, clean the terminals and battery posts to make sure they are clean.
Remove the main fuse, clean mating surfaces.
Check alternator connections are tight.
Although highly unlikely, there is a big difference between highly unlikely and knowing.

Fist time I ran the battery flat on a 1500 I checked all the above just to be sure I had only ran the battery flat, all was ok.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Ol' Man
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A/MotorTrike Conversion

Postby Ol' Man » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:35 pm

Fiberthree wrote:Your battery should have had 12.6 volts. The relay noise you described sounds like the starter solenoid chattering, which they do if your battery is low. I would start with the simple things first. Try jumper cables. You might just have a battery that is worn out and will not hold an adequate charge. The 1500 does require the full voltage to fire up the spark plugs.

I disconnected the bike battery and slipped one from my fishing boat up to it and it started first try. I'm charging the bike battery and will load test it to see whether it needs to be replaced. I want to thank everyone for their help.

Today is the oldest you've ever been,
yet the youngest you'll ever be,
so enjoy this day while it lasts.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”