Paint a 1500SE?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Paint a 1500SE?

Postby hap2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:34 pm

About how much to paint a 1500? I think sanding & taping wud b the most time consuming.

Also, are there different shades of dark smoked? I'm looking at getting a face shield from Motorcycle Superstore & it is so dark, they say you can't see into it. I'm wondering if this is true from wherever I buy one.
I definitely want it to be as close to darkly tinted as a limo.

Look at

Thanx

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Paint a 1500SE?

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:25 am

I know a guy that got his 1800 done for around a grand,but he tore it all down and gave the painter all the pieces.
If you're painting just for a colour change then I wouldn't do it personally.The reason I say this is for resale.Buyer would need to be blind not to tell it was painted and then the question arises "Why was it painted?Laid down or in an accident?"It just narrows the field of potential buyers IMHO.I know I'd walk away from one that was painted.
If your paint is bad then I would be prepared to spend a quite of bit of money to get it done right.JMHO.

PS I hate the colour of my 1800(it was just too good a deal) and I've had most of the plastic off of it since I bought it,but I wouldn't even consider changing the colour.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm with Chris on the repaint. Unless there's damage to the existing paint (which can be fixed), the cost of a good paint job is going to be very high, indeed. Out here in BC, I figure it would cost in the neighborhood of $5K for a job comparable to factory paint. Because of the GL1500's complex panel shapes, masking & taping won't work - the panels (at least, the majority of them) have to come off. Bear in mind, too, that we're talking about painted ABS plastic, not steel. Special care has to be taken, special paint techniques used, etc.

It CAN be done, but does it NEED to be? To be honest, if you don't like the color of a GL1500 it's probably cheaper to find another in the color you do like, than to completely repaint one in another color. A color change on a GL1500 will almost certainly cut its resale value dramatically.

My point is that if you buy a $6K bike, and spend another $5K to get it painted in a different color, you'd likely end up with an $11K bike worth $4K.

If you're only talking about paint repair to a panel or two, remove the panels & take them to a quality paint shop.

hap2

Postby hap2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 am

Thinking about it, I'm in agreement with both of u. I'll just buy a bike for which color I like. What things can I do (if he won't let me ride it but will let me hear it idle) to make sure it's a reasonable purchase?

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 pm

I don't know when, but I AM repainting my GL1500, full color change . I will be doing the grey plastic bits in the Shinny Pearl Blue the bike currently is, and the main body in a bright white (probably Ford Alpine White) and also doing the rims in a powder coat blue that is ALMOST a perfect match for the SPB the bike is. Add to that blue LEDs in certain places, and I think it will look hot.

Screw resale, I plan to ride the wheels off this bike. :D
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

hap2

Postby hap2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:50 pm

I think I'll just buy one the color I like already on it.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Very wise. Regardless of how nice the paint job is it always devalues the bike. The very first thing people think is that your covering up and accident. Btw, I like the color of the bike in your profile.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:I will be doing the grey plastic bits in the Shinny Pearl Blue the bike currently is, and the main body in a bright white (probably Ford Alpine White)

Are you going to do this fester

I have never actually seen one, and only ever seen this pic I captured from the top of the page, I have looked for other pics but found none.
It is just the best colour scheme ever, I was so tempted to do it to Big Blue(1500) but I wanted Cambridge Blue, I also wanted white and colour the panels blue, so it was a coin toss. It cannot be done to an 1800 anywhere near as good as a 1500. When I transformed Mellow Yellow to Big Blue, if I knew I was going to have to sell the matching 1500 Big Blue I would have had it done in white. If I had gone ahead with having the 1500 triked it would definately have been white with blue panels. The difference between stick on pin striping and airbrushed pin striping around the panels is massive, I cannot tell you how much better it looks. I thought of having some hand pin striping on the trike before it was lacquered, too late now though.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:34 pm

hap2 wrote:What things can I do (if he won't let me ride it but will let me hear it idle) to make sure it's a reasonable purchase?

Depends upon how much you are paying and what you want, if you want a minter and are going to pay top dollar, then check every instrument and running light, every switch and function, get the owner to take you out on it, to see the CC working, test air suspension, test bearings and steering head, use a light to check if the pads need replacing, timing belt history, plug front and rear helmets in to check all the headset functions. Check all LCD display functions, filter change history (including sub and cruise)

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:21 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:I will be doing the grey plastic bits in the Shinny Pearl Blue the bike currently is, and the main body in a bright white (probably Ford Alpine White)

I have never actually seen one, and only ever seen this pic I captured from the top of the page, I have looked for other pics but found none.
It is just the best colour scheme ever, I was so tempted to do it to Big Blue(1500) but I wanted Cambridge Blue, I also wanted white and colour the panels blue, so it was a coin toss. It cannot be done to an 1800 anywhere near as good as a 1500. When I transformed Mellow Yellow to Big Blue, if I knew I was going to have to sell the matching 1500 Big Blue I would have had it done in white. If I had gone ahead with having the 1500 triked it would definately have been white with blue panels. The difference between stick on pin striping and airbrushed pin striping around the panels is massive, I cannot tell you how much better it looks. I thought of having some hand pin striping on the trike before it was lacquered, too late now though.

I am not a fan of the SE panels myself. I know lots of people do like them, and that is great, just not for me. I am thinking more like this bike, but in White and blue as I described. The bike pictured is a GL1800, but it is where I got my idea, and it gets the point across I think.

Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:

sebluewhite_zpsbe24542f.jpg

That picture was uploaded by user bjtex:

http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/bj ... ng-SE_3412

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:05 am

Uncle Fester wrote:I am thinking more like this bike, but in White and blue as I described. The bike pictured is a GL1800, but it is where I got my idea, and it gets the point across I think.

When I bought the trike it had one of those awful MO walnut dash things, Several times I have thought of spraying it and the rest of the dash exactly as in the picture, but I just cannot think of a colour, easy if white. I have seen Wings with that paintwork mod, it looks good, and is fairly simple to remove the bits for painting. I have also seen several with all the black plastic body coloured. Highly polished white is such a good colour. I have completely changed the colour of two 1500's, as well as my 1800 trike, and 2 Freewheel International trailers. Do not know if I would do it again, but worth every penny MO. If all the parts are sanded, primed, smoothed and cleaned (which anyone can do as long as the primer is not plastered on) ready for painting, a re spray should cost no more than = to $1,000 including the paint, which is nothing to spend on a 1500. The last 1500 I had re spayed, I did the above to all the panels, took them to a sprayer (I like to pay the person holding the spray gun), and asked how long it would take to just point your spray gun and pull the trigger, then do the same with the clear coat, no polishing I can do that myself. He said 3 hours for the base, and 3 hours for the laquer = 350 quid and £100 quid for the paint and laquer.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”