Rear Brakes


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
gary doty
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Wayne, OK

Rear Brakes

Postby gary doty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:28 pm



Bought a 92 mod. that had not been rode for three years. The rear brakes will not work, there is no pressure on peadal and if you try to bleed the rear brake, no air comes out and very little fluid. What could it be.



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Remember, the rear pedal is linked to both the front and rear brakes, you can't just bleed the rear brake - there is a specific procedure to bleed the rear brakes, and it involves bleeding the right front caliper first. Chances are there is air in the front part of the linked system causing your problem.

gary doty
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Wayne, OK

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby gary doty » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info, couid that be the problem if I have good brakes on the front.
I did not know that some had drum brakes but this bike have disc brakes.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:37 pm

No, they're all disc brakes, but the rear brake pedal actually operates the single disc on the rear wheel, as well as the right-hand disc on the front wheel. The front brake lever operates the left-hand disc on the front wheel.

dloose
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby dloose » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

I purchased a used 1996 GL1500 that had been stored for two years. When I first drove it there were no rear brakes. I filled the res and bled the brakes and they worked for a few days. Then the rear brake started dragging and finally locked up. I pulled off the left saddle bag an opened the bleeder and released them and it functions for another day until the rear locks up again. This is consistant. I brought the bike to a Honda bike shop, they flushed it and it did not solve the problem. I can drive the bike forever provided I do not use the rear brakes. any Suggestions?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 pm

dloose wrote:I purchased a used 1996 GL1500 that had been stored for two years. When I first drove it there were no rear brakes. I filled the res and bled the brakes and they worked for a few days. Then the rear brake started dragging and finally locked up. I pulled off the left saddle bag an opened the bleeder and released them and it functions for another day until the rear locks up again. This is consistant. I brought the bike to a Honda bike shop, they flushed it and it did not solve the problem. I can drive the bike forever provided I do not use the rear brakes. any Suggestions?


Yup, this is a pretty common problem. The problem is brake fluid residue buildup in your rear master cylinder. There is a TINY (pinhole sized) hole in the inside of your rear master cylinder that allows brake fluid to return to the cylinder when the brakes are released. It gradually becomes plugged up with gum and crud.

When you start using your brakes, they return alright without having to return fluid to the master cylinder - however, then they heat up, the brake fluid expands, and the pressure increases. Because it can't get back into the master cylinder, it does the only thing it can - it pushes the brake piston out, locking your brakes up. Opening the bleeder lets the pressure out, and restores your brake function. Or, you can wait until they cool off.

You'll need to pull apart the rear master cylinder, so you'll probably want to rebuild it while you have it apart anyway. The hole is near the back of the cylinder - you'll see a small indentation, the hole is actually a pinhole at the bottom of the indentation. Take a single wire bristle from a wire brush, and use it to ream that tiny hole out, then put it back together, refill and bleed, and you should be good as new!

dloose
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby dloose » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:22 am

Thank you- I'll give it a try and let you know.

billyhansen
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: kaysville, ut
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 interstate

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby billyhansen » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 pm

what do you have to remove to get to the rear master cylinder. im having the exact same problem with my wing.

ostrich23
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby ostrich23 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm trying to remove my rear brake master sub-assembly also. Can't figure out how to pull the rod out of the master sub-assembly. (The rod that pushes in when you push down on the rear brake pedal). Does anyone know if there is a bolt to loosen first or if I just need to pull harder? It's a 1996 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade.
Thanks,
Richard

rarjr23@comcast.net

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 am

ostrich23 wrote:I'm trying to remove my rear brake master sub-assembly also. Can't figure out how to pull the rod out of the master sub-assembly. (The rod that pushes in when you push down on the rear brake pedal). Does anyone know if there is a bolt to loosen first or if I just need to pull harder? It's a 1996 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade.
Thanks,
Richard


It has a snap-ring in it, just like the GL1100. Have a look at the GL1100 How to rebuild your rear master cylinder article and you'll see how it comes apart.

Have you downloaded the GL1500 service manual from the manuals page? It describes exactly how to do this in it.

ostrich23
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby ostrich23 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:31 pm

I downloaded the service manual but didn't see enough detail on how to remove it. I saw in the article you are referring to that the entire metal push rod was disconnected from the rear brake pedal. I just want to remove that metal pushrod from the old master subassembly because I bought a new one several months ago and I'm trying to replace the old one completely. The new subassembly doesn't come with a metal push rod so the rod has to separate from the old subassembly. What is holding it in place?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:12 am

Look at steps 13 and 14 in the article I mentioned above.

tht
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:13 pm
Location: Athens, Attiki, Greece
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500se

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby tht » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:19 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Remember, the rear pedal is linked to both the front and rear brakes, you can't just bleed the rear brake - there is a specific procedure to bleed the rear brakes, and it involves bleeding the right front caliper first. Chances are there is air in the front part of the linked system causing your problem.

OBS it is the left front caiiper who is Linked to the rear brake.....

User avatar
spiralout
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Alabama
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Rear Brakes

Postby spiralout » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:06 am

tht wrote:OBS it is the left front caiiper who is Linked to the rear brake.....


Thanks for straightening that out, 7 years later




Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flyinrob, Mh434, Up&Downer and 3 guests