link to fairing installation?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jtswenson
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500

link to fairing installation?

Postby jtswenson » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:51 pm

I blew apart a goldwing months ago and am planning on putting the fairing back together. Does anyone have a link on procedure? Thanks!

jtswenson
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500

Re: link to fairing installation?

Postby jtswenson » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:45 pm

anyone? i'd sure appreciate it.

k1w1t1m
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate. 105,000miles and still going strong.(sold)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (possibly for sale soon)
1997 Gl1500 SE in pearl sapphire black.

Postby k1w1t1m » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:36 am

I'd suggest looking through all the how to's. I don't know that there's one for the whole fairing but several get in quite deep.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:55 am

I did a talk through on how to change it out a month or so ago and now can't find it on here :cry: Are you starting with the fairing off? If so, you know that there are 8 bolts that hold it on........All the front tupperware has to come off. Remove wind shield, headlight, mirrors, instrument panel. There are how too's on all of these on this site. Then there are two bolts at the rear of the fairing that are right behind the wiring clips. Actually they are nuts. Undo the clip support, it's 2 little clips you can see on the inside of the fairing. Needle nose works great here. Loosen the cruise linkage on left side, and pull off the vacuum hose on right side. Remove the ducts.. small screw inside by the forks. 2 bolts inside ducting near where the forks come through. bolt is in that duct. 2 allen head bolts at bottom front of fairing, and last 2 bolts on front of fairing where headlight was. Pull out on rear of fairing to clear studs and carefully pull it forward. I put all bolts in sandwich bags marked with where they went. Pull all nut clips for new fairing. Wiring is like pulling a used tire through a 4 inch hole :D take your time and it isn't too bad, just make sure you have it the right way when going back together. Got questions, just ask :D
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Was on page 5

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:31 pm

By following the DIY articals for Headlight, windshield, dash lights,Cruise and sub air filters, and cornering lights, and using parts of each as applicable, you will find yourself very close to the fairing itself. When you have both pockets out, take a picture of the wiring in each so you know where they go when going back together. A pair of needle nose pliers will work well for releasing the wiring connection support at the rear of the pocket holes,making it easier to disconnect the connectors. On the right side, disconnect the vacuum hose that blocks removal of that duct. There is a bolt next to that connector, and a screwinside next to the fork tube that needs to be removed to pull that duct. Left side is similar with the (I think ) cruise linksge that needs to be loosened from the frame. Loosen, not remove! Wiring the same as right side. Bolt is behind it. Duct removal same way. After all wiring is disconnected, there are 6 more bolts that hold the fairing on. One each side up in by the small vent in the fairing, takes 2 wrenches to get to as bolt is in that duct. 2 allen head under front. and 2 bolts behind where headlight was. Pull out slightly at back of fairing to clear the studs on each side, then wiggle straight forward. Pull the wiring out of old and put in new fairing. Don't forget all the clips that have to go to the new fairing. I used zip lock sandwich bags and marker to make all the bolts, nuts, and screws so I knew where they all went for reassembly. Get all 8 bolts and nuts started before tightening any of them. Take your time and make sure all wiring and lights work before "burying" them with the next step. Ask me why. Not really hard to do Have a problem, PM me. Just did this on my 2000 SE. My only problem was the crutches I was on at the time. You know the drill on reassembly.

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=25183#ixzz3RkD2OwS3

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”