clearcoat repair

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

clearcoat repair

Postby celford30 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:43 pm

Hello Everyone:
I'm the lucky guy, whose brother gave him a 1991, Goldwing Aspencade (70140 miles) :D . It had been sitting for eight months and yes I had to have the carbs cleaned, fluids changed and tires replaced. SHADOW had been exposed and uncovered in the California sun for much longer. Thanks to many of YOU, I have made numerous repairs, enhancements and modifications. However, because of the time spent in the sun the clearcoat has started peel in some and in others areas it's nonexistence :cry:. I need YOUR help to stop this process of peeling and replace the clearcoat in others areas. I don't want to pay for a paint job or special customize work, I just want my bike to look decent. Note SHADOW is black, a color I said I would never purchase on a motorcycle. But as you know, you don't look a gift-horse in the mouth
Thank You In Advance

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: clearcoat repair

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:55 pm

You can do it by using fine sandpaper meant for bodywork to feather back the clear coat to where it is in good shape, then spray on new clear coat, matching it to the existing. You need a lot of prep work...

Bodywork and paint is definitely not my forte, and while I'll do simple fixes and repairs, something the level of what you're talking about I think I would take to a paint shop. :(

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:17 pm

have painted many wings and you are prob looking at a repaint on a black bike getting any repairs not to stick out wouldn't happen the sun works on the paint and you might not even get clear to cover right . sorry . you can try you cant loose anything its already bad.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:34 pm

Carefully sand the edges of the remaining clear coat. Be careful of the paint that doesn't have clear coat on it because you will sand though it to metal pretty easily. Spray with light coat of clear coat, sand lightly and repeat until you are happy. I did this to one of my bikes and it looked pretty good when I was done. No prefect but definitely acceptable. When I sold the bike the new owner was ok with it also. Just know the stuff in the spray can is not gas resistant so keep a good coat of wax on it. Pledge seemed to make it look the best and kept it looking that way.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:31 pm

My experience with repairing clear coat has been less than stellar. I've tried lots of different things, and many different products, but none gave an acceptable result in the end. The failing parts of the clear are much larger than they look - it will have started to separate from the base over a lot bigger area than is obvious. If you pick at an edge, you'll probably find it peels back quite a distance, and if you re-clear over any of those areas, it will just lift off again shortly. It's kind of like rust - what you can actually see is just the tip of the iceberg.

After fiddling with it & throwing (wasted) money at it, I've always ended up going to a body shop & had it done right. In the end, it wasn't all that expensive. They removed the dead clear coat, buffed the base coat smooth, then re-sprayed new clear. Looked just like new, and lasted extremely well.

The majority of cost in paintwork is in the bodywork to fix what's underneath. As the bike probably doesn't need any body work, there's not a lot of prep work for the shop to do, and blowing on clear doesn't cost much. I think you'd be MUCH happier with the result. Take it to a place that does hot rod paintwork (they usually know what they're doing, as opposed to, say MAACO!) and get an estimate. It may not be anywhere near as bad as you think...

celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby celford30 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks Guys:
My town isn't that small and I know a few car racers that know painters and I'll talk with them. I think I was just being lazy and was looking for that quick way. The quick and easy way are not always the correct or best way and are very seldom on the same path. Thanks guys

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”